What do y’all do when the elk are just too high up?

Hnthrdr

WKR
I mean you asked… I think he was trying to politely not call you a b*tch…

But seriously 2k is nothing, you could cover that in an hour or two. You are hunting with a bow so you need to be 60 or less yards give or take. You can’t get that close hoping they walk down the mountain to you.

Calbuck

WKR
Brutal honesty is something people have a hard time with these days. If you aren’t happy with the results, change your approach. Doesn’t work out? Change again, learn from mistakes. That’s how people did it in the past. I’ll shoot you straight.

OP
Minute_of_Antelope

But seriously 2k is nothing, you could cover that in an hour or two. You are hunting with a bow so you need to be 60 or less yards give or take. You can’t get that close hoping they walk down the mountain to you.
You’re right… I think I just need to plan accordingly

Hnthrdr

WKR
You’re right… I think I just need to plan accordingly
Yep, I’m definitely not a bad mofo or an internet tough guy, but I’ve hunted from 8.5-12.5 in the same day and back down dogging a herd, heck I hope I’ll be doing it Saturday, but I’ll be starting around 10.5. I’m just plain stubborn. Also I figure I’m out there to kill elk so when I see some I’m going to give it hell, till I get a shot or they beat me by sight or wind. Plus think of it this way. You shoot one up there, it should be all downhill to the truck

OP
Minute_of_Antelope
Yep, I’m definitely not a bad mofo or an internet tough guy, but I’ve hunted from 8.5-12.5 in the same day and back down dogging a herd, heck I hope I’ll be doing it Saturday, but I’ll be starting around 10.5. I’m just plain stubborn. Also I figure I’m out there to kill elk so when I see some I’m going to give it hell, till I get a shot or they beat me by sight or wind. Plus think of it this way. You shoot one up there, it should be all downhill to the truck
Hell yeah… Except for that damn return trip when I’m solo! 🤮

OP
Minute_of_Antelope
Now that you know where they are, I expect a good story or some good pics from your next outing! Good luck!
Thanks man; there will either be a pic of an elk or of my garmin showing 26k steps or both, haha.

Honestly with this input in here I’m going to try a higher elevation my next trip out to start with. At least until we get a real cold snap…

Hnthrdr

WKR
Thanks man; there will either be a pic of an elk or of my garmin showing 26k steps or both, haha.

Honestly with this input in here I’m going to try a higher elevation my next trip out to start with. At least until we get a real cold snap…
Like I said good luck, no clue what state or what peaks are around you, but even with some real cold often elk won’t come down, you are talking 24” of hard crusted snow to get them out. I see big herds occasionally winter around 10k if they can, this is in Co of course so maybe different for you, but use the thermals and get high and go nail one of them! Heck they might even run down hill after they are hit for you

it’s not so much a capability thing as much as it seemed a wildly inefficient effort given all the other variables that go into bow hunting.

Elk hunting in and of itself is wildly inefficient, just as part of its nature. I've hated it as much or more as I've loved it. You need about 100 things to come together to kill an elk with a bow, many of them outside your control. If you're looking up mountain to elk you can get to, about 90 of them are at least checked off. Most times you'll climb up there and get to maybe 97 or 98 and blow it. Doesn't make it a waste. Then you're onto the next chance to push all your chips in. It only takes one.

I'd pay you 1000 bucks if you could cover the 2K I mentioned earlier in 2 hours.

squirrel

WKR
Ive never known al elk to be in the wrong place... Many many times I have been in the wrong place though. Me n the elk would have to dig a really deep hole to get to 9500' on many hunts.

Done! My best manitou springs incline time was 29:25, shouldn’t be a problem
That is indeed an impressive level of fitness. There are no stairs here though. And I am assuming that you'd be carrying hunting gear. The avalanche chutes have some sheer walls in them. There's a reason these elk are safe. There are hiking trails on nearly every mountain in this area. This mountain has none.