What do y’all do when the elk are just too high up?

grfox92

WKR
I've gone from 7k to 9k four times since Sept 1. And that 2k feet of gain is in just 800 yards as the crow flies. It's brutally steep and painfull. But that's where the elk are, so we go. Today we did it and only interacted with one bull before he disappeared. Honestly it's getting old fast and we aren't going back tomorrow until the rut is on.

I will say this. If I could see the elk 2k feet above me, I would be beelining it as fast as possible to get to them.

Good luck.
b45a2c206e7dc3d832022bc9c49f46c8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

OP
Minute_of_Antelope
I've gone from 7k to 9k four times since Sept 1. And that 2k feet of gain is in just 800 yards as the crow flies. It's brutally steep and painfull. But that's where the elk are, so we go. Today we did it and only interacted with one bull before he disappeared. Honestly it's getting old fast and we aren't going back tomorrow until the rut is on.

I will say this. If I could see the elk 2k feet above me, I would be beelining it as fast as possible to get to them.

Good luck.

Amazing shot!

OP
Minute_of_Antelope

Good luck.

Forgot to ask-honest question: why not camp somewhat higher? Too steep to haul that gear? Don’t want camp smells up near where the elk are?

GatorDoon

FNG
All the elk I got in to last week in UT were at 10,500+ (nearly treeline), and the mosquitos were still bad.

mtn_man

FNG
You have to hunt the elk where they are. You will have to decide if where they are is beyond your capability and determine if you can readjust your plans to get up to them or give up that area and move.
Not to mention packing the meat out if you're lucky.

grfox92

WKR
Forgot to ask-honest question: why not camp somewhat higher? Too steep to haul that gear? Don’t want camp smells up near where the elk are?
Because the only flat area to camp is the benches where the elk are. I guess we could try it. But no one wants to go through all that effort to blow out the herd.

Gerbdog

WKR
Still young enough and dumb enough to go after the elk wherever they may be, high, in a hole, down whatever canyon they named after some demon/hell/crappy location because it sucks, i agree with the others, gotta formulate a plan to get at them, and if thermals are gonna screw you before you can get to them you come in from the other side of the mountain!

Or switch locations and hope there are elk there.

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
This is my mountain, There are many like it but this one is mine. There are elk on this mountain so I will climb this mountain. The mountain is steep but I will shoot an elk. THIS IS MY MOUNTIAN !
God I love that !

Holy I have some elk spots you young guys would enjoy! Good thing is, it's only 2500 feet down, so you get to pack them up.

@ OP, if it's not real bad, just go September is short, you have all year to recover. I know one thing, driving the 70 cooridor with a rack sticking out the back of the truck is much better than driving home with empty coolers!

But.......... I just hunted with a guy who came out last minute, and 500 feet elevation was killing him. Anyways, have fun, and adjust if need be. Not elk, but in a week I will be making a 3000 foot climb to try and get a few Mountain goats I've been eyeing.

I'd pay you 1000 bucks if you could cover the 2K I mentioned earlier in 2 hours.
Was it super gnarly terrain? I went out last week and did 4.5 miles and 2k vertical in 2 hours, not a casual stroll but wouldn't call it any sort of extraordinary feat, figured that was probably an average thing for elk hunting

Last edited:
OP
Minute_of_Antelope
Holy I have some elk spots you young guys would enjoy! Good thing is, it's only 2500 feet down, so you get to pack them up.

@ OP, if it's not real bad, just go September is short, you have all year to recover. I know one thing, driving the 70 cooridor with a rack sticking out the back of the truck is much better than driving home with empty coolers!

But.......... I just hunted with a guy who came out last minute, and 500 feet elevation was killing him. Anyways, have fun, and adjust if need be. Not elk, but in a week I will be making a 3000 foot climb to try and get a few Mountain goats I've been eyeing.
I’m now sufficiently motivated:) next week I go from a leisurely 3 day moose hunt for my daughter back into archery elk. So I should be sufficiently rested to hit these high up elk again!

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Happened to me on Saturday. Watched a herd of 30ish about 1200' above me but over 2 miles across a canyon would have had to drop 800' to cross canyon. Wasn't about getting to them it was a 6 mile pack out if I shot one. Helped that I had a couple bulls bugling just below me. I may go after them next week but gonna access from a different spot.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You climb after them🤣 exact reason I have never worried too much about other hunters going uphill long distances, it hurts and you sweat a lot. Not many are willing to put forth that kind of effort day after day so you tend to have the mountain to yourself.
And people wonder why I'm soaking wet just from sweat every archery elk season. LOL.

This picture is very similar to the spot I shot a big bull in a few years ago. I marked the spot in a similar location as to where he was when I shot him. Again......eerily similar location. But there are lots of these at the bases of cliffs like that in elk country.
steeps.jpg

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
These elk are safe from you and everyone else.

I know that exact ridge and have hunted it from both sides - and the top. That particular location might be impossible to bow hunt. But there’s plenty of elk in that unit in easier areas. I can make it to the top in less than 2 hours and I’m middle aged, pudgy and live at sea level.

I know that exact ridge and have hunted it from both sides - and the top. That particular location might be impossible to bow hunt. But there’s plenty of elk in that unit in easier areas. I can make it to the top in less than 2 hours and I’m middle aged, pudgy and live at sea level.
It's called Schuykill Mountain. What route do you take up? I talked to a guide late in my vacation. He said they call this heart attack hill locally. He doesn't hunt it. Too many open areas, too many escape routes, too many technical and tactical challenges.

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
It's called Schuykill Mountain. What route do you take up? I talked to a guide late in my vacation. He said they call this heart attack hill locally. He doesn't hunt it. Too many open areas, too many escape routes, too many technical and tactical challenges.
“Heart Attack Ridge” is what I’ve heard referred to as, It’s nasty. There is a way to the top, and it sucks too. Great view though. Like I said though, plenty of easier places in the unit to hunt elk.