What does a bull track look like?

I'm interested in learning all I can about tracking and scouting for elk. One thing that I have had trouble with is distinguishing a bull elk track from a cow elk track. I've heard multiple theories suggesting things like "only bulls have declaws", "bull tracks are more rounded in shape", "if it's by itself it's a bull" and differences in size. Some of these may be accurate, but I'd like to know the real measurable distinguishing characteristics.

Like has anyone ever measured and compared the hoof of a harvested bull vs a cow? What would the actual mearsurable dimensions be? Is there somewhere I can learn the science of the topic like a published study or maybe a book written about tracking?

Basically I'm just trying to absorb all the information I can about this subject in order to improve my tracking and scouting skills. Also any other sign characteristics you can share would be helpful such as bull droppings, certain trail characteristics of bulls, etc. Thanks for any info you guys can help me with. This is an awesome community and I know there's gotta be some experienced elk trackers who could drop some tidbits of knowledge. Looking forward to the replies!

Wrench

WKR
Bulls tend to be solo. All elk can leave dew claw marks....but bulls will often do so on more firm terrain. Size favors bigger bulls.

Don't confuse moose in the mix which always leave dew claws and tend to split the toes a bit and tend to be solo.

Think size, proximity to other elk tracks and tight toes.

Obviously rut periods will put bulls on cows...so they will the last track of the group 99% of the time.

Marble

WKR
With smaller bulls, sometimes it's hard to tell. But in general, what was said above is true. I look for a track that is larger than other tracks, has more of a round shape and a separation in the middle that is more prominent. Dew claws in snow is almost always a decent bull.

It is very similar to comparing a buck to a doe.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
I watched this bull make this print in a wallow this year (it should have been one of his last steps but I missed my shot). The definition isn't great because of the mud, but this was a large 6x6. When in the snow, I find it pretty easy to pick out the bull tracks. The size and claws are pretty telling.

Attachments

• Bull print.png
    Bull print.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 379
Bulls have a larger print than a cow. Zoom in on my pic and youll see the bull track is bigger than my hand. Im 6' 200 pds.1000020629.jpg

I watched this bull make this print in a wallow this year (it should have been one of his last steps but I missed my shot). The definition isn't great because of the mud, but this was a large 6x6. When in the snow, I find it pretty easy to pick out the bull tracks. The size and claws are pretty telling.
Thanks for sharing this. As an adult onset hunter, a lot of this stuff is tough to learn. In the photo you posted, is the deep end towards the front of the hoof? I’ve found stuff in snow where I can’t tell which end is which.

Thanks for sharing this. As an adult onset hunter, a lot of this stuff is tough to learn. In the photo you posted, is the deep end towards the front of the hoof? I’ve found stuff in snow where I can’t tell which end is which.
Front of the hoof is by my fingers. Back of the hoof is at my palm

SonnyDay

WKR
Bull-Track.png
This is a small-ish 5x5 bull track that's minutes old...

Note that there are actually two tracks--the front hoof and then the rear hoof on top of it (and maybe 3/8" up and to the right in the photo).

Note also the thicker part of the hoof pads toward the rear of the print. This distinguishes elk from other ungulates.

Anyway... get the book!

View attachment 632717
This is a small-ish 5x5 bull track that's minutes old...

Note that there are actually two tracks--the front hoof and then the rear hoof on top of it (and maybe 3/8" up and to the right in the photo).

Note also the thicker part of the hoof pads toward the rear of the print. This distinguishes elk from other ungulates.

Anyway... get the book!
Which direction is it heading in this photo? Narrow end at the rear of the hoof or is that the lead?

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Which direction is it heading in this photo? Narrow end at the rear of the hoof or is that the lead?

Narrow end is in the front. The elk would have been moving in the direction his middle finger is pointing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With smaller bulls, sometimes it's hard to tell. But in general, what was said above is true. I look for a track that is larger than other tracks, has more of a round shape and a separation in the middle that is more prominent. Dew claws in snow is almost always a decent bull.

It is very similar to comparing a buck to a doe.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Agree completely

Some of identifying a bull track is context, but when it’s a good bull, it becomes easier to identify. A big bodied old Roosevelt bull will look almost identical to a moo cow track, almost perfectly round and nearly as wide as long… other big old bulls will be shaped similarly to a cow track just bigger

I would have a hard time going into new country and identifying a 3.5yr old 5 point by track alone, especially if it was in a herd.

In familiar country, I will be able to identify a certain bull by track if the bull has some age.

The bigger the bull, more spread to the toes. Dew claws are more present when going downhill. Elk of North America I think said that bull elk turds tend to be cupped while the cows are usually rounded.

My give away is how they travel in the jungles. Cows go through anything they fit through. Often under waist high limbs and staubs. Bulls usually travel to the side of the cows where the opening are bigger. Big bulls try hard to protect their horns. I think from habit when they are tender in velvet. They will run through anything in a panic but briefly.

The tend to pee in the middle of their beds while the cows pee on the edge. Bull pee is rank while cow pee is sweet.

Bulls tend to work their way to the top of a ridge and then double back to watch for you. Usually 20-50 yards off to the side. When they get ready to bed they clean out their guts and pee numerous times.

I often chase them with one on the track and one about 40-50 yards farther uphill and downwind. Watch for downfall they like to bed under them for cover from uphill.

If they don't cut your scent they will play hide and seek with you until they figure out who you are. It's a hell of a game if you are in shape. The pleasure in killing one after a long game beats sex in your 20's.

I have hands that fit in xl gloves. Around my parts, a mature bull print will be about as wide as my fist.

Moose prints are larger and easily distinguished by pointy tips, like a deer. Elk have rounded fronts, more like a moo cow.

There are more important things to learn. And you don’t “track“ elk. You do look for sign and call and glass to locate. But if you’re in good elk country, there will be tracks heading in both directions. It’s more important to learn the lay of the land and try to figure out where the elk are coming from and where they’re headed to and when.

I’ve been hunting elk for 35 years. I’ve looked at tracks and said that’s a cow or a bull. But it didn’t change my hunting strategy. Just find elk. Cows and bulls share the same habitat. The only time when you might use a different strategy is after the rut when the bulls split off on their own in bachelor groups. During regular gun season, those bigger bulls might not be with the herds but they won’t be very far away. There will still be younger bulls with the cows. At your stage of the game there’s nothing wrong with hunting them. They are easier to find too.

There are huge cows and small bulls. Often times the ground out west is so dry. It’s difficult to see the details of a print. Just make sure you know the difference between a bull track and a moose track.

Last edited:
There are more important things to learn. And you don’t “track“ elk. You do look for sign and call and glass to locate. But if you’re in good elk country, there will be tracks heading in both directions. It’s more important to learn the lay of the land and try to figure out where the elk are coming from and where they’re headed to and when.

I’ve been hunting elk for 35 years. I’ve looked at tracks and said that’s a cow or a bull. But it didn’t change my hunting strategy. Just find elk. Cows and bulls share the same habitat. The only time when you might use a different strategy is after the rut when the bulls split off on their own in bachelor groups. During regular gun season, those bigger bulls might not be with the herds but they won’t be very far away. There will still be younger bulls with the cows. At your stage of the game there’s nothing wrong with hunting them. They are easier to find too.

There are huge cows and small bulls. Often times the ground out west is so dry. It’s difficult to see the details of a print. Just make sure you know the difference between a bull track and a moose track.
What do you mean “you don’t track elk”? I guess me and all the old guys that taught me everything have been doing it wrong lol. I hunt timber mostly, and that’s what you do if you want to kill elk.