What else do I need?

I picked up the CVA Optima I won at a dinner today and below is what I was able to get at the store. When I got home I mounted the Burris Scope using the levels I tune a bow with and a small household level.

I know I need a case but they didn’t have the CVA one I wanted. I forgot to look for a sling and speed loaders. What am I missing?

Thanks!

1903e3a6d86058e102678a249f27edbc.jpg

bcab3b6084207c87eb38e8aa09b795f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
ditch the bore butter and get some quality gun oil.

Personally, you wasted a lot of money buying that tc stuff. A bottle of windex would do better and a lot cheaper.

Never had much luck either with the green sabot xtps in my cvas, but it will give you somewhere to start.

Swab the bore between each shot.

OP
F
ditch the bore butter and get some quality gun oil.

Personally, you wasted a lot of money buying that tc stuff. A bottle of windex would do better and a lot cheaper.

Never had much luck either with the green sabot xtps in my cvas, but it will give you somewhere to start.

Swab the bore between each shot.

I have been exclusively a Bowhunter since 1992. So I know nothing about muzzleloaders and what is needed. It was what was handed to me. I kind of knew from my research that I didn’t need the bore butter but it was part of the only kit they had. I have rem oil on my work bench so that isn’t an issue.

As far as the difference between black and green. I was told online to get the black but no one said why and when I asked what the difference was I was told black was for 50 caliber and the green was 45 caliber. I asked at the shop today and it was pointed out that it said 50 caliber on the package. That’s as much as I know.

As far as the difference between black and green. I was told online to get the black but no one said why and when I asked what the difference was I was told black was for 50 caliber and the green was 45 caliber. I asked at the shop today and it was pointed out that it said 50 caliber on the package.
Not exactly. Black is for a .451-.452 bullets in a .50 rifle and green is for .429-.430 bullets in a .50 rifle.

The reason the blacks are preferred by most of us is that those greens have a thicker petal and don’t discard as quickly as the exit the barrel hence poorer accuracy. Even worse is a blue (for a .40 cal bullet in a .50 rifle.) Some guys like the greens but most of us don’t.

Wrench

WKR
I clean black and 777 with hot water. When I started I tried every gun chemical there is and then I was told to use hot water.....that's the ticket.

I'd have a torch tip cleaner for your nipple, spare nipples, a capper and a tc speed loader.

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
I always take a cleaning rod that's longer than the CVA loading rod (shotgun rods are good). It makes it way easier to clean. I've switched to 209 Magnum primers just because they seem to be so much easier to find in my area, and hornady bullets were not great in CVA's. I switched to 250gr Powerbelt Aerotip's. and it will group with any powder load between 90-110gr.
not necessarily for you, since you are shooting pellets but I found a powder measurer from knight that comes with a funnel, super handy compared to having a 2nd funnel on hand all the time.

OP
F
I always take a cleaning rod that's longer than the CVA loading rod (shotgun rods are good). It makes it way easier to clean. I've switched to 209 Magnum primers just because they seem to be so much easier to find in my area, and hornady bullets were not great in CVA's. I switched to 250gr Powerbelt Aerotip's. and it will group with any powder load between 90-110gr.
not necessarily for you, since you are shooting pellets but I found a powder measurer from knight that comes with a funnel, super handy compared to having a 2nd funnel on hand all the time.
I bought a longer range rod but forgot to put it in my picture. It's interesting about how people get different results. In my earlier posts about what to get the majority said get Hornady XTP's, probably 80% and most said avoid powerbelts. I went with pellets to get a feel for it but like most things I do I go all in and I am sure I will be using loose powder and experimenting with different loads and bullets but this was something to get me started while keeping it simple while I learn.

slowr1der

FNG
There is really no need for the bullet starter on these and I'd ditch the Bore Butter cleaning kit like the others said. There isn't anything wrong with the rest of the stuff you got, but I would have gone with the black sabots and the larger diameter XTP. If your gun shoots these, you'll be fine though. They are significantly better than the PowerBelts (which are a terrible hunting bullet).

My favorite bullet combo is a Speer Deep Curl in a black Harvester Crush Ribbed sabot, but it also comes down to a lot of personal preference and what your gun shoots well.

You did make a great choice on the scope imo.

For patches, what you got works just fine. I did find that I started saving a lot of money by buying rolls of cotton at fabric stores and cutting my own patches. That's generally what I do now.

WCB

WKR
I use the same cleaners you have and use bore butter with zero issues. Last thing Im using is hot water. Inuse other products but the ones you have are just fine.

Sling, case, speed loaders, a primer caddy is nice for extra primers on hand. Get a small weather proof box to keep it all in. I have an MTM box but you could use almost anything. Just nice to grab the gun, range rod, and smallbox and go.

OP
F
There is really no need for the bullet starter on these and I'd ditch the Bore Butter cleaning kit like the others said. There isn't anything wrong with the rest of the stuff you got, but I would have gone with the black sabots and the larger diameter XTP. If your gun shoots these, you'll be fine though. They are significantly better than the PowerBelts (which are a terrible hunting bullet).

My favorite bullet combo is a Speer Deep Curl in a black Harvester Crush Ribbed sabot, but it also comes down to a lot of personal preference and what your gun shoots well.

You did make a great choice on the scope imo.

For patches, what you got works just fine. I did find that I started saving a lot of money by buying rolls of cotton at fabric stores and cutting my own patches. That's generally what I do now.

I knew the bore butter wasn’t needed for my gun but was part of the kit. As far as the XTP bullets probably 80% of the suggested bullets were the 240 grain XTP on my previous threads asking what to start with and most said the black sabot but never gave an explanation what the difference was. When I asked one person said the green were for a .45 caliber muzzleloader. I asked at the store when they were handed to me as the most popular and they pointed out they said .50 caliber.

Can I buy the harvester sabots and put these bullets in them? Clearly I am showing my lack of knowledge.

Thanks on the scope. I remember several friends having Burris scopes years ago and then during my research I kept reading people asking about especially Vortex scopes and many people saying the Burris was better and often less expensive.

OP
F
Not exactly. Black is for a .451-.452 bullets in a .50 rifle and green is for .429-.430 bullets in a .50 rifle.

The reason the blacks are preferred by most of us is that those greens have a thicker petal and don’t discard as quickly as the exit the barrel hence poorer accuracy. Even worse is a blue (for a .40 cal bullet in a .50 rifle.) Some guys like the greens but most of us don’t.

So I am confused. After looking at the website you linked to I see the 240 grain Hornady that I bought based upon what most said to try first it shows green and not black. Are you saying buy the black plastic sabot and put the Hornady bullet in it? This is getting very complicated for someone new to this.

SloppyJ

WKR
I had a lot of inconsistencies with the pellets. They work but I've had much better luck with mis-fires and accuracy with Blackhorn 209. Now I'll say that I picked some up when it was around $40 a jug. It'd be tough to cough up the $79 on it now but I still think I would. It lasts for a while and it's much easier to clean IME.

I use the blackhorn by volume and I've been impressed. The days of not knowing where your second bullet is going to go is over. Again, IME, I would never shoot a powerbelt again. Hornady FTX bullets are marginally better. I'm rating these by terminal performance. I've shot too many deer that had no blood trail at all only to find them hour(s) later with the only sign of blood about 10' from where they piled up. I'm trying the hollow point scorpions this year only because I didn't get the Barnes in time.

Most guys will custom tune the sabot to their gun based on accuracy and ease of loading. I imagine that's what they are talking about. Your local sporting goods store likely offers different harvester sabots to purchase by themselves.

OP
F
I had a lot of inconsistencies with the pellets. They work but I've had much better luck with mis-fires and accuracy with Blackhorn 209. Now I'll say that I picked some up when it was around $40 a jug. It'd be tough to cough up the $79 on it now but I still think I would. It lasts for a while and it's much easier to clean IME.

I use the blackhorn by volume and I've been impressed. The days of not knowing where your second bullet is going to go is over. Again, IME, I would never shoot a powerbelt again. Hornady FTX bullets are marginally better. I'm rating these by terminal performance. I've shot too many deer that had no blood trail at all only to find them hour(s) later with the only sign of blood about 10' from where they piled up. I'm trying the hollow point scorpions this year only because I didn't get the Barnes in time.

Most guys will custom tune the sabot to their gun based on accuracy and ease of loading. I imagine that's what they are talking about. Your local sporting goods store likely offers different harvester sabots to purchase by themselves.
I was told by the guy helping me at the store he would have suggested 209 but they didn't have any in stock and didn't know when they would be getting it again. He suggested the pellets since I was new and it would both be more convenient as well as reduce my upfront cost.

Rich M

WKR
I shoot an optima.

Last year it was a tack driver with crush rib sabot and 225 gr FTX bullets over 110 gr 777 and 209 primer. This year it was shooting all over the place. Changed to 250 gr XTP w crush rib sabot over 100 gr 777 and 209 primer, stays inside 5 inch circle at 100 yds. Good enough for deer season.

I got nothing as to why last year's recipe didn't work this year. Do want to work up a 200 yard load but need some range time.

From what i know, the black crush rib sabots load easier than the green ones do.

Use what you have and start learning how it works. The bullets should be good enough for 100 yards. Don't over think it - 2 pellets, seat bullet and shoot.

So I am confused. After looking at the website you linked to I see the 240 grain Hornady that I bought based upon what most said to try first it shows green and not black. Are you saying buy the black plastic sabot and put the Hornady bullet in it? This is getting very complicated for someone new to this.

Black sabots are for .45 cal bullets - no you couldn’t use your current 240 gr .44 (.429/.430”) bullets with the black sabots. But you can buy sabots from MMP or Harvester and buy whatever .45 or .44 cal bullets you want to shoot.

But don’t overthink it to start as @Rich M says.

You’re not really taking a “poll” when you make these kind of posts - you’re just getting a few comments.

slowr1der

FNG
Black sabots are for .45 cal bullets - no you couldn’t use your current 240 gr .44 (.429/.430”) bullets with the black sabots. But you can buy sabots from MMP or Harvester and buy whatever .45 or .44 cal bullets you want to shoot.

But don’t overthink it to start as @Rich M says.

You’re not really taking a “poll” when you make these kind of posts - you’re just getting a few comments.
This is what I came to say. You can't switch to the black sabots with those bullets as they are for .451-.452" diameter bullets. The green sabots are for a .429-.430" bullet, which is what you have there. You'll be fine with those as long as your gun shoots them well. I just prefer a .452" 300 grain Speer Deep Curl because they shoot well in my gun and they perform very well on deer. Buying the bullets and sabots on their own is also significantly cheaper than most pre-packaged "muzzleloader bullets". If you buy the sabots, you can buy and shoot any bullet you wish to in the corresponding size. These are all just handgun bullets in a sabot.