What is the temp rating of your late season western hunting bag?

Most of my outdoors stuff is down with a 20 degree rig or higher in the summer.

Curious what temp rating you folks use for late season.

Also, if you use a tent stove do you bring a higher rated bag?

FlyGuy

WKR
I don't hunt late season, but... if you are talking about a backpacking stove then No, your bag needs to do the work and be rated to the appropriate temps. The stove just makes it a whole lot nicer to get out of that bag in the cold early morning.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I've done the whole 'use the stove to keep warm all night' thing, and it F'n sucks. Don't do that. I had a 20* EE Revelation Apex, and it got down to 14*. I'm usually not a cold sleeper, but I was that night. From now on, I'll take a bag/quilt that's rated for 20* colder than I think I'll need. There's a difference between surviving the night, and staying comfortable at night.

That being said, the coldest bag/quilts I own are 20*. I'll be buying a 0* or -10/20* before this year's late season hunt.

Zero degree with a hot tent does the job for me. It might get a cold every now and then, but in those times, I just stoke the stove and go back to sleep.

Carlin59

WKR
I've "made do" with either an $80 Bass Pro 20 degree bag or a Big Agnes Encampment 15 degree bag for the past 8 years. Many nights under 20 degrees, a few near zero. None of those nights under 20 were comfortable. Next big gear purchase is going to be a true 0 zero degree bag of either Kifaru or WM/FF quality/$. With that, I've spent decent money on good insulated puffy pants and jackets in the past few years, which have allowed me to be more comfortable during all day sits/glassing sessions, and pull double duty as night-time insulation to help those cheap sleeping bags extend past their 20 degree ratings. Just food for thought regarding options for insulation versatility.

wgrkman

FNG
For a first season Colorado hunt, I am planning to go with the REI CO-OP Magma 10 degree and have a sea to summit thermolite reactor compact bag liner in the truck for if the forecast is looking like it will get even close to that 10 degree mark. They say the bag liner adds up to 20 degrees of rating on their site but I'm thinking it will realistically be good to get me down into the single digits hopefully.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When I first started hunting with my buddy at 15, we froze our butts off. All of our gear was cheap and very sub-par, but that's what we had in 1980. The first thing I bought after our first cold season was a -30 sleeping bag. I've been using a -30 bag ever since, even though we really haven't seen any cold seasons like we used to have in the 80's.

ellsworb

Lil-Rokslider
10 degree EE revelation quilt on a Thermarest Neo Air pad has taken me from the teens in late season hunts all the way through summer scouting. I plan to wear my down puffy and/or down hoodlum to bed to help regulate. In the summer, the quilt is nothing more than a throw blanket. I wasn't willing to buy multiple quilts, so I decided on the 10 and suck up the extra 8 oz of weight in the summer.

tttoadman

WKR
Mt Hardware Wraith Bag. -20 rating, fully waterproof. It is built to serve as a bivy by just turning it over if a guy wants to pull a crazy overnighter to chase something without taking your main shelter down.

My tent failed under a snow storm 4 miles in. I pulled up the broken tent. My pad was partially deflated, and my bag was floating in about 3" of water in the tent. My bag was completely dry and saved my hunt.

Davebuech

WKR
Like you I use a WM 20* for most of the warmer parts of the year or just a Woobie. Late season though I have a WM Sequoia (5*) bag that I use with or without a stove in the tent. Don't skimp on your bag just cause you bring a stove, you'll regret it!