What is your single best piece of advise before I hunt the first time Longer distance

mioduz

FNG
I am experienced archery hunter in PA
I also have a lot of experience shooting long distance with rifle in PRS sport

However I have essentially no experience hunting animals (deer) beyond 100y (If i dont get it done in archery and go out with rifle in PA i often just hunt my archery stands so shots are all extremely close)

I am going to SD this year for a white tail hunt and asking for a single peice of advice that you wish you had before you took your first animal at extended distance.

Ive been told to be prepared for a 500y shot but with my practice and gear I dont feel comfortable on an animal much past 400y at this time.

dtrkyman

WKR
Keep it in your comfort zone! I am an archery hunter but have guided rifle hunts, I am always just kinda chilling and guys are freaking out, then I realize we are in range...lol

My piece of advise is to understand your limits by practicing field shooting at home/range before heading afield. If you know you can consistently hit x sized target at a certain distance, then don't push the distance when in field. Your gut will tell you what shots you can make...listen to it. Adrenaline is a funny thing and try not to feel "rushed" or pressured to make a certain shot. Alot of archery skills translate to rifle.

For me personally a 60 yard archery shot and a 600 yard rifle shot feel very similar in regards to my shot sequence, hit probability, etc.

Shoot lots beforehand.

atmat

WKR
Practice shooting from field positions. Lots of guys are accurate on paper from bipod/bags, but then can’t translate that skill into field position shooting.

At <100 yards you can get away with it. At 200+ yards you start to pay for the lack of practice.

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Practice at 400-500 yds on both windy and calm days. Get to know your rifle and the load you will be hunting with.

Shoot, shoot and then shoot some more at distances closer to 700 and that 500 yard shot will be a slam dunk. Practice from positions you will encounter in the field, which should be easy if you do PRS.

JFK

WKR
Shoot in field positions and find a way to add some pressure or time constraint. It’s very easy to hit long targets when you take 2 minutes to setup. Not as easy to do it in 20 seconds or less. Have the discipline in the field to not shoot if it’s not right.

jreyna

FNG
These guys above are sharing some good wisdom. Thanks guys. To add to JFK...on the "find a way to add pressure"....try doing 10 pushups then get on your rifle at the range. It's not the exact same but it'll get your heart rate pumping in a similar manner to when you see a real animal in the field.

atmat

WKR
These guys above are sharing some good wisdom. Thanks guys. To add to JFK...on the "find a way to add pressure"....try doing 10 pushups then get on your rifle at the range. It's not the exact same but it'll get your heart rate pumping in a similar manner to when you see a real animal in the field.
I’ve done burpees or such before shooting. Not even just for “buck fever” but because sometimes you’ve gotta move quickly and take a shot without being at rest.

Be prepared but of all the deer I have shot in western SD, my longest shot was 250 yards...... and I've only seen guys shoot a few further than that. Use the terrain to get close. Remember your shot sequence.

Laramie

WKR
Be honest with yourself and your guide or buddy who is with you. If you aren't confident don't shoot. Chances are you can cut the distance. Last weekend I was presented with a shot I didn't feel good about. It was a now or never situation. I didn't feel good so decided to try to get closer even though there wasn't any cover or perceived time to do so. I walked directly at the animal in the wide open and cut 100 yards off with it staring at me. I laid down prone in my comfort range and made a perfect shot. That works more often than many people would think and it beats the heck out of wounding an animal.

atmat

WKR
You’re reading words that aren’t there.
Actually you’re right, I misread the last paragraph while trying to multitask. My bad, I’ll edit that comment.

We’re saying the same thing: practice with your gear in field situations so you don’t turn minutes into seconds.

Tmac

WKR
As TK-421 said, you may have plenty of time to set up your shot, but what if you don’t? The more glassing and the less walking I do, the more time I tend to have… If my SD experience holds any water, all west river, I’ve taken some of my shortest and longest shots there, about 75% of which I had plenty of time.

I watched a competitive shooter not get a shot off on a nice bull because he did not know where he hit at about 300 yards. First hunt, not practiced much at all. He always sighted dead on at 100, ranged and dialed. He had almost 20 seconds to assume his position, get steady and shoot. Not snap shooting, but not a long time either.

Sight in at 100 is good, but I’d recommend some version of a MPBR be dialed in before the hunt. Almost all my rifles when on or just high at 200 are 6-8” low at 300, 18-22” low at 400. I can always dial back to 0 (100) in nearly any environmentals and check zero if needed.

Then know the approx chest depth of your target and you can quickly hold for shots to 400ish is how I roll. If you must be quick, that helps along with being able to quickly get in a shooting position. With your background and interest, I think you will do fine.

cjdewese

WKR
Sight in at 100 is good, but I’d recommend some version of a MPBR be dialed in before the hunt. Almost all my rifles when on or just high at 200 are 6-8” low at 300, 18-22” low at 400. I can always dial back to 0 (100) in nearly any environmentals and check zero if needed.

Then know the approx chest depth of your target and you can quickly hold for shots to 400ish is how I roll. If you must be quick, that helps along with being able to quickly get in a shooting position. With your background and interest, I think you will do fine.
Is kind of how I have been practicing myself, the last few years.

Did it all last year before my 1st hunt, shot was at 35 yards walking through timber, off hand. :)

I feel like it should work well in most situations though.

Tmac

WKR
Is kind of how I have been practicing myself, the last few years.

Did it all last year before my 1st hunt, shot was at 35 yards walking through timber, off hand. :)

I feel like it should work well in most situations though.
The real answer is you never know. So building muscle memory to be quick can pay dividends, whether you need to be quick or not.

My two largest MD, 20 yards off hand in timber and 415 yards sitting off a solid rest. The first I had maybe 5ish seconds, the second about 30 seconds. My largest WT I had maybe 10 seconds at 210 yards, was a funny one, dropped prone off a prairie dog mound. Plenty of others I had lots of time. Just never know.

Rich M

WKR
I’m always amazed at the stories were guys pass or just cant get comfortable on easy shots cause they are worried about a 2 or 3 or 4 inch vertical diff in impact. It’s lungs, not a 10-ring.

Understand your MPBR and know when you just shoot and when you dial if you dial. Most guns can be “just shot” to 300-350. Dont make it any more complicated than it needs to be.

TBeach30

FNG
I am experienced archery hunter in PA
I also have a lot of experience shooting long distance with rifle in PRS sport

However I have essentially no experience hunting animals (deer) beyond 100y (If i dont get it done in archery and go out with rifle in PA i often just hunt my archery stands so shots are all extremely close)

I am going to SD this year for a white tail hunt and asking for a single peice of advice that you wish you had before you took your first animal at extended distance.

Ive been told to be prepared for a 500y shot but with my practice and gear I dont feel comfortable on an animal much past 400y at this time.
Practice practice practice is the best advice shoot in all conditions SD is windy so make sure you practice in wind to know how you need to hold. And if you’re not confident don’t pull the trigger. You can always try and get closer