What is your single best piece of advise before I hunt the first time Longer distance

atmat

WKR
Right on man. Can you answer those other questions?
I can for practice. I’ve never timed myself in field situations like you suggested.

The most common thing I practice is pack on with rifle strapped to it (SG Quick Release) standing to prone. In general, it takes me about 55 seconds to “shot ready” (assuming I already ranged distance).

Occasionally something slows me down, like maybe I have a scope cover on that gets hung up on removal. Or my pack is stuffed weird and I can’t get a super comfortable base. Or I’ve goofed by leaving my magnification up, and have to back it down to locate the target first. But my goal is <1 minute (which sounds about twice as long as you).

I don’t shoot off a tripod, so I can’t say for that.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Practice to confirm skill.

If you are practicing for PRS and know how to build a solid position and cleanly break a shot, that’s one bit of knowledge.

The other is know your limitations when it comes to wind. Run through what wind conditions take you out of the target.

ZAR EC

FNG
Learn by shooting extensively on steel at ranges 1.5x your max hunting range. If conditions are windy, shoot 2x what you normally would. Personal experience trumps everything else.

Know your limits and hunt within those. Practice much farther than you plan to hunt. The day I started doing that is the day I started filling tags. I’m now in the comfortable zone at 600yds, it’s automatic for me. In the right conditions I’ll take an 800yd shot with my 300nmi, and I only take these shots prone. As you’ve mentioned I also shoot prs and it has allowed me to take 400yd shots when not prone and so feel confident in doing so. Biggest thing is to know your limits and hunt within those.

I have distance limits depending on what rifle I am using, distance limits based on what the wind is doing, and distance limits based off what position I’ll be shooting from. I would have never known these if I hadn’t practiced extensively ahead of time.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
I don't want to discourage you from practicing, or wanting to try long range hunting, but long shots aren't a necessity if that is what you are worried about. Even east river SD where I live is either flat field, or cattail swamp, and I'm not taking 400+ yard shots. There can certainly be chances at some long shots if you want, but it doesn't have to be a binary choice of shoot far or don't shoot. People bow hunt deer here just like anywhere else. If anything you will probably find the deer less on edge than most eastern states. I have yet to shoot anything over 200 yards here.

Last edited:

rootacres

WKR
Practice in field positions. If you get reps off a bipod and bags but plan to shoot off a pack in the field. Practice the exact same way you will be taking a shot in the field, prone, seated, standing etc.

Induce stress with exercise and then take shots.

Also, haven't seen this mentioned here yet. Most your experience is with a bow, same here, you know how important the level on your bow sight is. Your rifle is no different. Get a level of some kind, work it into your shot routine much like archery hunting.