What keeps you from LR competition shooting?

I honestly don't think some of these shoots are marketed correctly as the ones I hear of that might be close enough to justify driving to, are already over or have filled up by the time they are publicized. I'd like to try it out but haven't found one that fit my schedule.

Jay

I honestly don't think some of these shoots are marketed correctly as the ones I hear of that might be close enough to justify driving to, are already over or have filled up by the time they are publicized. I'd like to try it out but haven't found one that fit my schedule.

Jay
The schedule for NRL Hunter is posted on the website (yes it's a crappy website) at the beginning of the year and then you just watch for the registration period to open up. There is also a Facebook group for NRL Hunter which is good for getting updates.

The schedule for NRL Hunter is posted on the website (yes it's a crappy website) at the beginning of the year and then you just watch for the registration period to open up. There is also a Facebook group for NRL Hunter which is good for getting updates.

That’s my problem is I’m not on space page. I miss the registration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Average shot distance is 600 yards." That's what keeps me out - I suck. (I know these are LR competitions). I'm not sure I'm the target audience though, I'm just a guy who might go to a local match to get some practice shooting my hunting rifle in the field.
I think you actually are the target audience for the one day matches. Those matches are targeted for the guy that just wants to shoot his hunting rifle and get better. The first one day match I shot, I shot my exact hunting set up. 7 SAUM, 18in suppressed weighing in at around 9 pounds. We've had 2 of the one day matches local this year. One of them a guy shot his 300 win mag.

Not every one wants to shoot the 2 day stuff. It's a lot of time and logistics to attend one. I think they need to get the one day matches going more and really push those. It's way easier for me to figure out how to attend a 1 day match versus being gone 4 or 5 days. I'm interested to see where they're going to have matches next year. They did mention Canada at the Grand Slam. I'm a sucker for fries and gravy. Lol

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Agreed. I like doing other things too much, I have too many other commitments, so a 2-day match would be a major roadblock for me to compete. 1-day is much, much more likely.

I think you actually are the target audience for the one day matches. Those matches are targeted for the guy that just wants to shoot his hunting rifle and get better. The first one day match I shot, I shot my exact hunting set up. 7 SAUM, 18in suppressed weighing in at around 9 pounds. We've had 2 of the one day matches local this year. One of them a guy shot his 300 win mag.

Not every one wants to shoot the 2 day stuff. It's a lot of time and logistics to attend one. I think they need to get the one day matches going more and really push those. It's way easier for me to figure out how to attend a 1 day match versus being gone 4 or 5 days. I'm interested to see where they're going to have matches next year. They did mention Canada at the Grand Slam. I'm a sucker for fries and gravy. Lol

Mind sharing what was mentioned? Thanks

I'll have to give it a try. I'm strictly a hunting shooter and my ambition is to get very good at 400 and maybe one day be able to stretch to 5-600 when things are right. That's just me though, and I don't know anything about comps or LR hunting.

I definitely lack the desire and competitive spirit. If we had some long ranges around here would be nice tho. Best I got is 250 yards. Shot a guy's RPR 6.5 CM and it was essentially a 1 hole gun at 250 yards. Very nice. My gear is pretty much 1-inch at that range.

Can understand that the long range guys can share a ton of info about improvement if they are inclined.

Mind sharing what was mentioned? Thanks
They didn't say where, but said they were close to having a match in Canada hammered out. I'd imagine we will be seeing a list of matches coming out, probably by December I'd hope so we can start getting time travel.plans and time off work sorted.

Like just about ever sport, I have no idea how one gets involved in them. I assume you need to be scouted/invited into these organizations?

Nevertheless, the gear alone would keep me out of it. I have no use for a rifle (let alone everything else that goes with it) who’s only use is benchrest competition shooting.

Like just about ever sport, I have no idea how one gets involved in them. I assume you need to be scouted/invited into these organizations?

Nevertheless, the gear alone would keep me out of it. I have no use for a rifle (let alone everything else that goes with it) who’s only use is benchrest competition shooting.
Anybody can show up and shoot - most of this thread is about NRL Hunter. I think they do their best to market the sport, but facebook, youtube, and instagram only reach so much.

There is a weight limit in the competition so most guns are under 12 lbs fully loaded. I will use mine this year for hunting.

NRL Hunter is not benchrest. It couldn't be farther from it. You can use your hunting gun and the gear you use on a western hunt. All you need is a pack to carry your stuff, a way to find and range targets, ammunition and gun. A bipod and tripod are very, very helpful. You don't "need" anything else.

Anything and everything you do in a Hunter match is what you'd do when hunting. Yes, you may choose a different position on an actual hunt but the positions you're given in a match are identical to a position you may see when hunting. In other words, you can't shoot the match all prone or off the top of your pack. Although, if you don't have a bag for a rock you can use your pack.

NRL Hunter has three divisions: factory, open light (less than 12 lbs) and open heavy (less than 16 lbs.).

I have changed completely my hunting setup after having shot these matches for over two years. I've seen how effective I am at hitting targets at distance. It's increased my minimum comfortable range and also decreased what I thought I could do on a hunt. Shooting on a square range at steel is a whole lot different than shooting across the country in varying terrain, environments and weather in hunting scenarios.

Although it's not in this thread specifically, you often see folks saying they won't do NRL Hunter because it's a gear race and there's no way they can compete. Honestly, nobody will be competitive in their first year. The guys at the top have been shooting these for years and no amount of gear will make a newbie good at these matches. It's practice and experience.

I live in the Midwest and finding a place to shoot beyond 500 yards is annoyingly hard. Especially this time of year when crops are still in. So practice isn’t convenient so I don’t do it much and without practice, you’re not competing…. You get the jist of it

I do all my practice at 100 yards. I rarely shoot beyond 100 except at the match sign-in and a few times a year to 600.

If you can shoot 1.5 MOA positionally at 100 the rest is just verifying dope at distance before the match and figuring out wind.

I live in the Midwest and finding a place to shoot beyond 500 yards is annoyingly hard. Especially this time of year when crops are still in. So practice isn’t convenient so I don’t do it much and without practice, you’re not competing…. You get the jist of it
Where at in the Midwest?

Midwest and East Coasters, if you know a MD that has a range that would fit, have them apply ASAP! This is how you'll get matches in your neck of the woods!

We just wrapped up the NRL Grand Slam, and I was pondering this question. What is it that keeps you from shooting in a match like the NRL Hunter series or PRS? I get that a 2 day match can be daunting, but what about the 1 day formats?

Time and money, just like most things...Joe

Back