What public land in a state/ area would you like to hunt?

OP
J
Cashed in 6 years of points to hunt Iowa this fall. Excited to finally get to experience a Midwest rut. Will be hunting October 28 - Nov 12.
Man, I now have 5 points for IA. I thought for sure I'd get drawn this year. I'd love to hear about your experience. I am on the fence of hiring a guide. IF everything goes well a few of us are heading to MT next year for Elk. That might be an overload to hunt both MT & IA without support. I never hunted either.

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Man, I now have 5 points for IA. I thought for sure I'd get drawn this year. I'd love to hear about your experience. I am on the fence of hiring a guide. IF everything goes well a few of us are heading to MT next year for Elk. That might be an overload to hunt both MT & IA without support. I never hunted either.
Man, have to say, if it was a choice between a DIY MT or Iowa hunt, well.....call me of the "head west, young man!" school. Hope you can go both. Good luck either way.

OP
J
Iā€™ll be honest. I prefer to hunt mountains. Midwest had big deer but it doesnā€™t have mountains. Iā€™m more about the hunt than the size.
I live in Greenville SC. I started to gauge my hunts based on experience and having fun. Sounds cliche but there's something to be said about just having a great time with good dudes. I've hunted the bottom of WV for years! I shot a ok 10 pt last fall. after 6 seasons of getting skunked, it was the best tasting deer ever!
I'm heading to CO for OTC in mid sept. it's amazing. I almost connected last year.

Ral8000

FNG
Classified Approved
I live in Greenville SC. I started to gauge my hunts based on experience and having fun. Sounds cliche but there's something to be said about just having a great time with good dudes. I've hunted the bottom of WV for years! I shot a ok 10 pt last fall. after 6 seasons of getting skunked, it was the best tasting deer ever!
I'm heading to CO for OTC in mid sept. it's amazing. I almost connected last year.
Nice. San Juan forest?

OP
J
I'm curious if there's any state or area you'd like to hunt. Public land.

I didn't get drawn for IA. I'm thinking of going back to PA to hunt. I love traveling to hunt new states and areas. I Live in SC.
If anyone is curious, I decided to hunt whitetail in Potter County PA.
We have a fishing camp there. I've hunted here before. I like to hunt different areas for the experience. My dad is in his late 60s so it should be fun. He doesn't go out much anymore, I'll have a nice hot supper ready for me. I talked my work into letting me work remotely for 4 weeks. I need to come back so my badge doesn't expire. I'm just hoping I'll have a decent internet connection.
I'm hunting Elk in CO so I should get my adventure fix then.

Lowg08

WKR
I keep threatening to try the archery only counties. I just get so hung up on what m chasing in WNC.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
what county ya hunt in? I am originally from MCdowell and will be hunting down there some this year

Iā€™d like to be able to hunt here in my home state without having draw for everything but elk. However I do realize what having to draw for these animals does to make it a quality hunt.

KHNC

WKR
Sumter National FOrest in South Carolina. No need to travel for public.

Fishmaster196

Lil-Rokslider
I would love to hunt a Michigan Upper Peninsula old time deer camp on public land. Complete with a wall tent, 30-30, red and black wool plaid and a camp deer tag to eat venison while everyone was in camp.
The problem is because of lots of wolves and horrible winters there arenā€™t many deer in the
U. P. anymore.
I have a photo of my grandfather dressed in plaid with his 30-30 standing next to a buck and a doe he shot. Way Cool!

I would love to hunt a Michigan Upper Peninsula old time deer camp on public land. Complete with a wall tent, 30-30, red and black wool plaid and a camp deer tag to eat venison while everyone was in camp.
The problem is because of lots of wolves and horrible winters there arenā€™t many deer in the
U. P. anymore.
I have a photo of my grandfather dressed in plaid with his 30-30 standing next to a buck and a doe he shot. Way Cool!
My Uncles tell stories about the old school UP deer camps. They didnā€™t kill a lot of deer but they have great stories.

Not out of state, but have a trip planned to hunt a WMA in GA. WMA borders a lake so going to use the boat for access. Hopefully will have a easy drag down the hill and a short boat ride back to the house.

Since this is specifically about whitetailā€¦anything other than the midwest for a big, mature buck is a wrong answer lol. Some states or areas may have bigger deer, but the Midwest has them everywhere. Any public land timber that butts up to some agg fields on a corn year=$$$$$$
I ain't scared to be wrong.

I grew up not hunting in East Texas, surrounded by guys who wanted to deer hunt the South Texas brush country. It's been a bucket list hunt since then.

Hunting a low fence ranch down there in November.

No interest in a midwest whitetail hunt.