What qualifies as a warranty?

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Let's say you purchase an expensive and very reputable spotting scope second hand. The manufacturer's warranty stays with the product even if resold. After a year of babying the spotter you notice the focus knob is not turning very smoothly so you contact the manufacturer, who proceeds to provide an RMA# for return/repair. You ship the spotter and soon after receive an email with a $130 quote (parts + labor) to replace focusing shaft and inspect focus mechanism.

What is a warranty in your mind? Something more than the ability to pay for repairs?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Some brand warranty covers parts and labor for X amount of time, some lifetime.

Some cover anything and everything, some does not cover outside of defects in workmanship (so no physical damage)

Some, if you buy something 2nd hand, must have the new owner register the item in order to transfer the warranty.

As you do not mention the brand, or if there was sand or another foreign element causing the issue with the focus knob, I cannot be more specific in my reply

blkqi

WKR
The warranty terms should dictate this always. Very often there are limitations.

TaperPin

WKR
The way I understand how Sworofski handles it, is they will fix something essential to its function under warrantee, but cosmetic items (slightly rough knob) will only be replaced if the owner is footing the bill.

OP
V

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Gotcha. I just assumed since this issue is seemingly all internal then it would be covered under the general "warrant against defects in materials and workmanship under normal conditions for the life of the product" concept. Seems like it doesn't matter the cause in this case.

JGRaider

WKR
Why don't you name the company so we can see what the warranty is, then decide if they screwed you over or not.

JGRaider

WKR
The Kowa warranty expressly says it does not cover defects due to normal wear and tear. I'd say they did what they promised, but didn't go above and beyond like some do to assure you're satisfied.

pirogue

WKR
Let's say you purchase an expensive and very reputable spotting scope second hand.
My KOWA website page says “original owner”. That does not mean “purchase…second hand”. Not to mention the site wants you to cave to cookies. Might want to change your labeling of “very reputable”

OP
V

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
You're right, it does say original owner. There have been posts on this site from users, salespeople and actual Kowa reps indicating the warranty follows the product, not the owner. This is why I felt comfortable purchasing second hand. Wishful thinking.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
You're right, it does say original owner. There have been posts on this site from users, salespeople and actual Kowa reps indicating the warranty follows the product, not the owner. This is why I felt comfortable purchasing second hand. Wishful thinking.
If you could find those posts from Kowa then screenshot and email them and see what happens. Never know.

...except I wont buy a Kowa now. For what they cost is in line with other brands that have unlimited warranties that follow the product to the next owner.

JGRaider

WKR
Too many good choices to put up with the "original owner" BS, especially for the prices they charge. Screw a bunch of Kowa.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unlimited.
But were spoiled because thats what some companies offer as an incentive. So for the same money I probably wont consider Kowa. Glad you shared.
What do you use now? I'm curious

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

If I have a defective product, and the defect is from use, I will be perfectly happy if I can get it fixed for less than 10% of the value regardless of what the warranty says.

I personally don’t expect everything (or anything) to be fixed for free that I have got good use out of (or bought used and don’t know it’s history)

If I were you, i would be happy with that deal, but that is not to say I’m right, just my perspective

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
What do you use now? I'm curious

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I have a seriously low end Simmons spotter right now thats why I'm interested in this thread. I'm hoping to add a nice one to my gear in the near future though. It wont be a Kowa now. Probably a Leupold... ( Ive had to send a Leupold rifle scope in for "warranty" repair on damage done by an accident and zero questions asked they rebuilt the scope for free.)

OP
V

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
If I have a defective product, and the defect is from use, I will be perfectly happy if I can get it fixed for less than 10% of the value regardless of what the warranty says.

I personally don’t expect everything (or anything) to be fixed for free that I have got good use out of (or bought used and don’t know it’s history)

If I were you, i would be happy with that deal, but that is not to say I’m right, just my perspective

I respect that. Different perspectives. I got sold on the apparent quality of Kowa when looking to upgrade from my previous Razor, and the idea that if properly cared for I shouldn't need to use their warranty when compared to other companies' products that offer no-fault warranties in their pricing models. I was mistaken after a year of very light use.

I'll pay to get the faulty focuser repaired, but this is not what I consider a warranty.

JGRaider

WKR
I owned the Kowa 884 and Meopta S2 at the same time and compared them many times side by side on tripods. There's not a nickle's worth of difference between them up to about 50x. After that, according to my eyeballs, the S2 remained a touch brighter and sharper. I kept the Meopta. It's tough as nails, and the warranty follows the product no matter who owns it, unlike this mickey mouse orignal owner BS.

OP
V

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Important update:
I reached back out to Kowa questioning why this internal issue is not covered under their warranty and got a response saying it was a mistake.

Apparently my spotter issue was mixed up with another one that was damaged due to the user dropping it.

My focus knob issue is covered.

Kowa got my respect back!