What qualifies as a warranty?

IdahoBeav

WKR
It wont be a Kowa now. Probably a Leupold... ( Ive had to send a Leupold rifle scope in for "warranty" repair on damage done by an accident and zero questions asked they rebuilt the scope for free.)
Nothing is free. The warranty is built into the retail price. If a company sells a $500-level-quality optic for $1500, they can afford to replace or repair it for "free" multiple times.

Choosing Leupold over Kowa is an interesting choice, to say the least.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Im glad they are covering you but "having" to reach out to them again to get covered still isnt good service, and it was still their option as a second owner.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing is free. The warranty is built into the retail price. If a company sells a $500-level-quality optic for $1500, they can afford to replace or repair it for "free" multiple times.

Choosing Leupold over Kowa is an interesting choice, to say the least.
For the same money I'll go with the company that has an unlimited warranty.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
I know there are no "real" guarantees in life.
I can only go by my experiences. A friend bumped his Vortex and it lost zero. Ive dropped my Leupold and it held zero. I damaged another that was several years old now and they warrantied it no free, no questions asked.
Im open to other brands, but if the price is the same and one has a lifetime unlimited warranty and the other does not... it doesnt matter if they included the warranty into the price. Feel free to recommend other brands that are better.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can only go by my experiences. A friend bumped his Vortex and it lost zero. Ive dropped my Leupold and it held zero. I damaged another that was several years old now and they warrantied it no free, no questions asked.
Im open to other brands, but if the price is the same and one has a lifetime unlimited warranty and the other does not... it doesnt matter if they included the warranty into the price. Feel free to recommend other brands that are better.
Kowa makes arguably the best spotting scope in the world so in that regard it has very few peers in the same class.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

IdahoBeav

WKR
But you're ignoring the performance of the product, which is way more important than a company being willing, at the drop of a hat, to throw their product in the trash and ship a replacement. I would rather pay a $130 service fee to fix a good scope than have a junk scope that could be replaced for free.

I would put Kowa way above Leupold in terms of performance.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Kowa makes arguably the best spotting scope in the world so in that regard it has very few peers in the same class.

But you're ignoring the performance of the product, which is way more important than a company being willing, at the drop of a hat, to throw their product in the trash and ship a replacement. I would rather pay a $130 service fee to fix a good scope than have a junk scope that could be replaced for free.

I would put Kowa way above Leupold in terms of performance.
Ive never had a chance to check out Kowa but I have used Leupolds and they have been solid and clear glass for me.

I will take a closer look at Kowa though. Im not sponsored so I dont get caught up in brand loyalty.

appreciate the recommendations. :)

Ive never had a chance to check out Kowa but I have used Leupolds and they have been solid and clear glass for me.

I will take a closer look at Kowa though. Im not sponsored so I dont get caught up in brand loyalty.

appreciate the recommendations. :)
If you want a quality product with a great warranty check out maven optics. I’ve been impressed with the couple maven spotters I’ve looked through however I’ve never seen a kowa in person.

OP
V

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Just got a call from Kowa saying my spotter has been repaired and they are shipping it back! In the end this was 100% covered under warranty.

Important update:
I reached back out to Kowa questioning why this internal issue is not covered under their warranty and got a response saying it was a mistake.

Apparently my spotter issue was mixed up with another one that was damaged due to the user dropping it.

My focus knob issue is covered.

Kowa got my respect back!
Thanks for the update. I was looking into buying used as well and this post had me second guessing myself. Kowa seems to have the best spotters out there

If you want a quality product with a great warranty check out maven optics. I’ve been impressed with the couple maven spotters I’ve looked through however I’ve never seen a kowa in person.
I’ve never looked through the mavens but I did run into a guy while sheep hunting who was running one of their spotters. He just bought it for that hunt and it fogged up on him and was worthless a few days in. I’m glad they have a great warranty but the goal is to not have to use the warranty.