what shelter/ tent or tipi

mattfish

FNG
I am new here folks. Im a flatlander from PA who has his heart set on backcountry hunting. I have never spent a single night under the stars. I have slowly been building my gear list for a hunt in Colorado next year. Im trying to decide on the best shelter to use. I will be traveling with a least one other guy potentially more. I have been creeping around and reading but I am admittedly overwelmed due to the lack of experience. My main focus is comfort. I dont want to be miserable on the mountain but would like to be mobile. I will be bow hunting elk my first trip. I have a ton to learn but I am determined. Should I plan on a shelter that I can use a stove for heat? I seem to be concerned with rain and condensation. Do i need to be? I was considering the golite 5 but there is noway to have a stove in this shelter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with SHTF, for archery season, you're probably not going to need the stove. If you really want an SL5 and the stove, and aren't willing to do the install yourself, I believe the folks over at http://seekoutside.com/ sell the stove jack and will install it for you.

OP
M

mattfish

FNG
thanks for the replays guys. I really am not sold on any shelter just want to stay dry. My initial thought on a stove was if we get caught in heavy rain would it help dry the gear for the am hunt?

I think your main concern for archery should be protection from rainstorms not the cold.
For two guys I think a good tarp shelter should surfice, something like a Kifaru super/mega tarp, SeekOutside Lil Bug Out shelter, or the Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT. The LBO has modularity advantages in that you can connect two together for increased capacity or keep it solo.
I'd focus on a good tarp shelter, a bivy bag, pad and a good lightweight sleeping bag.
If weather cooperates, you might not even need the tarp shelter most of the time.
Good luck on your hunt.
Hunt'nFish

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Teepee has more options if your only going to buy a single shelter. Tarp is lighter but not if you take a bivy along too

Shrek

WKR
I hope you pointed out that the materials used in the kifaru are much more robust than the others you mentioned. IMO and in testing the kifaru is much more durable.

Rizzy

WKR
For three people you will want a 6 man teepee to be comfortable in wet weather. If you will always be going with two people get a Sawtooth. If you will be going solo most of the time and with 2 or 3 some times get a BCS2.

Wrongside

WKR
I hope you pointed out that the materials used in the kifaru are much more robust than the others you mentioned. IMO and in testing the kifaru is much more durable.

Were these tests published? Or do you have a link? I would be interested in reading them.

Shrek

WKR
Aron did a long term durability test and the other tent didn't fare well. It's been taken down but maybe it could be found . I haven't seen it in a while. I think peace was made and they passed the pipe or something. Kifaru tents are made from a different fabric than the industry standard silnylon. It's a big part of why the tents are so expensive and so durable. When you compare a silnylon tent to a Kifaru it's not an apples to apples comparison. If Kifaru were to make their tents from the same materials as their competition the cost and weight would but more competitive but the shelters wouldn't be as tough. They should offer silnylon as an option for people who don't feel the need for bomb proof shelters. They could sell them cheaper and lighter. I should probably let sleeping dogs lie but when I see more cheaply made gear compared as equal to the Kifaru it rubs me a little wrong.

I'll simply add that although you may not need a stove for archery elk(especially if you're only going to be there for a couple nights), there have been many times in the last 15 years that I can think of that the temps at 10500ft were in the teens and everything was snow covered. My next shelter will have a stove jack.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Matt,

Unless you are likely to be hunting and camping where there are no trees (which is highly possible depending on WMU and elevation, etc) my advice is to strongly consider a hammock and tarp set-up. The key to this system is having the appropriate insulation underneath and on top. The drawbacks can be investment cost (unless you are a DIY guy), gear weight depending on materials, and the tree requirement. I made my hammock out of a purchased table cloth and sewed my own top quilt. The table cloth was $20 shipped and made of the exact same material and denier as the commercially available. Tons of instructions on the net. Took me 10 minutes to make.

However, the benefits are that sleeping on the diagonal is about 90% like sleeping in a bed. Additionally, my lower back is fried from years of weights, and I have absolutely no back pain from sleeping in a hammock. Am a side sleeper to boot. Regardless of the type of pad, pads in combination, and site prep, my lower back aches to some degree with ground sleeping. Have slept in sweltering humidity, skeeter infested woods, driving rain, and temps as low as the mid-30's. Plus, the hammock doubles as a chair. Do I sound like advocate!?

Shugemery has some entertaining instructional vids on Youtube explaining hammock camping.

Lastly, if you are west of State College, you are welcome to view my set-up including alcohol stoves, etc.

Mudd Foot

Hi Matt,

I am a bowhunter in Annapolis, MD. I would strongly suggest, since you have not been camping or hunting in the mountains, that you do some backpack hunting here on the East Coast this year so you know what gear you need, how it works, and what you will be able to do and not do.

I am going to be going hunting in the Rough Mountain Wilderness in western VA the end of October with some friends. You are welcome to come if you would like. You can see what it is like to walk up and down our "short" mountains here on the East Coast and can see what hunting out of a backpack camp is like. I also have a SL-5 that I have used for the past few years so we can talk about that too. I am putting a stove jack in it for this fall and using one of the new Kifaru oval stoves in it. I too like the idea of a stove to help dry out clothes that have gotten soaked from either rain or perspiration...I've experienced both.

My phone number is 443 . 994 . 1098. Feel free to give me a call in the evening and we can talk gear, bowhunting, and whatever else.

Regards,

Larry Schwartz
[email protected]

I would also suggest that you look into some hiking poles to help with your balance when carrying a load, either in with camp on your back or out with meat on your back.

OP
M

mattfish

FNG
I would also suggest that you look into some hiking poles to help with your balance when carrying a load, either in with camp on your back or out with meat on your back.

any suggestions on which ones? I will probably use one to pitch my shelter?

whitingja

WKR
I would check out Tarptents. I know alot of people like Kifaru, as do I, but Tarptent really fit what I was looking for. Love mine. Has interior netting to keep the damn red ants out. They are bad where I hunt.

Matt, I would just do a search here on Rokslide for the numerous threads on the topic. I just started using some generic ones I got at a state park but they are probably not as rugged as the ones from Black Diamond or other higher end makers. Do a search here and get the good advice.