Hot Tent tipi vs tent

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for recommendations, my buddy offered to sell me his Onetigris Northgaze (planning to get a stove) but I don’t know much about these tipis and don’t know if I should get this or get a lightweight backpacking tent. It‘ll be used for April to November (south Idaho). Any insight would be great!

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Seek Outside Cimmaron with the stove and absolutely love it. By myself there is way more than enough room. With two people it gets tight with a stove, while still keeping all your gear inside, but without the stove there is ample room. I like it 100000x better than the single person 'coffin' tent I used to use.

I just looked up that Onetigris. 5lbs is what their website calls it. I'll say my Cimm and stove are 6lbs all in. I have since upgraded to the Peax Solitude which has way more liveable space.
Are you planning on packing it in? April - November you will likely encounter mosquitos so getting a bug insert for a tipi would be advised.
The tipi will be very enjoyable with the stove in cooler temps. I very much enjoy having the fire, gives you something to do in the dark hours and makes waking up in the cold mornings way easier.
Hard to choose just one but a backpacking tent may be a better option for you for those summer months.

OP
EricBender208

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
I just looked up that Onetigris. 5lbs is what their website calls it. I'll say my Cimm and stove are 6lbs all in. I have since upgraded to the Peax Solitude which has way more liveable space.
Are you planning on packing it in? April - November you will likely encounter mosquitos so getting a bug insert for a tipi would be advised.
The tipi will be very enjoyable with the stove in cooler temps. I very much enjoy having the fire, gives you something to do in the dark hours and makes waking up in the cold mornings way easier.
Hard to choose just one but a backpacking tent may be a better option for you for those summer months.
So both? Run the tent until the temps drop then swap to the tipi?

So both? Run the tent until the temps drop then swap to the tipi?
I am fortunate enough to have acquired a few different tents over my hunting and backpacking life. I am up in Montana and would say that in those summer months, I tend to camp near lakes and there are always lots of mosquitos at dusk and dawn. I would recommend two tents if you can afford it. A nice and light summer backpacking tent and then the hot tent.

In September till mid October ish (weather dependent) I'll use my backpacking tent as it's a little lighter. Then when it gets chillier I'll take out the hot tent.

There will be those early spring trips that I'll use my tipi and stove too. It's nice to have the option of the two tents. You may find a good deal on a used summer backpacking tent on craigslist or from REI. They now have an online "Resupply" where they sell used gear.

Hope this helps you out.

Gotcha_

FNG
I am fortunate enough to have acquired a few different tents over my hunting and backpacking life. I am up in Montana and would say that in those summer months, I tend to camp near lakes and there are always lots of mosquitos at dusk and dawn. I would recommend two tents if you can afford it. A nice and light summer backpacking tent and then the hot tent.

In September till mid October ish (weather dependent) I'll use my backpacking tent as it's a little lighter. Then when it gets chillier I'll take out the hot tent.

There will be those early spring trips that I'll use my tipi and stove too. It's nice to have the option of the two tents. You may find a good deal on a used summer backpacking tent on craigslist or from REI. They now have an online "Resupply" where they sell used gear.

Hope this helps you out.
Do you find that the hot tent helps you stay out longer due to the fire? I think I've officially overthought this vs. a 4 szn. People seem to like them nomatter the cons I find. Something about fire in a tent helps you refresh better when the weather is more difficult? Not just about the warmth?

Do you find that the hot tent helps you stay out longer due to the fire? I think I've officially overthought this vs. a 4 szn. People seem to like them nomatter the cons I find. Something about fire in a tent helps you refresh better when the weather is more difficult? Not just about the warmth?
It TRULY does!!
I had a late September trip in my Akto. I was glad I had a bomb shelter with the rain turn snow during the day as I had to hunker down. BUT...I was cramped in that tent for several hours waiting till the storm broke. And bored. I was in my rain gear but then got cold since I wasn't moving so I finally took that layer off and got in my bag. I ended up packing up the next day and headed out. I had one more full day I could have hunted but I was beat.
If I had my hot tent I could have been way more comfortable while waiting out the storm and got a fire going to keep me entertained/dry things out a bit. The fire and room are hard to beat anymore. I'll keep my other tents but boy it's sure nice to get a small fire ripping. It really makes getting out of your bag in the morning a whole lot easier too.
Another bonus is when I take my hot tent and stove I usually don't bring a jetboil or pocket rocket. I just bring a pot for boiling water and use the wood stove.

Highly recommend the hot tent and I'm finding I am using it more and more. Now more companies are making mesh "nests" for summer/buggy weather use extending the season.

Gotcha_

FNG
It TRULY does!!
I had a late September trip in my Akto. I was glad I had a bomb shelter with the rain turn snow during the day as I had to hunker down. BUT...I was cramped in that tent for several hours waiting till the storm broke. And bored. I was in my rain gear but then got cold since I wasn't moving so I finally took that layer off and got in my bag. I ended up packing up the next day and headed out. I had one more full day I could have hunted but I was beat.
If I had my hot tent I could have been way more comfortable while waiting out the storm and got a fire going to keep me entertained/dry things out a bit. The fire and room are hard to beat anymore. I'll keep my other tents but boy it's sure nice to get a small fire ripping. It really makes getting out of your bag in the morning a whole lot easier too.
Another bonus is when I take my hot tent and stove I usually don't bring a jetboil or pocket rocket. I just bring a pot for boiling water and use the wood stove.

Highly recommend the hot tent and I'm finding I am using it more and more. Now more companies are making mesh "nests" for summer/buggy weather use extending the season.
Thanks for this. I'm sold, getting the Cimmaron Reg with all the fixins this week.

Thanks for this. I'm sold, getting the Cimmaron Reg with all the fixins this week.
You're going to really enjoy it! I've taken mine on a bikepacking trip with the stove. I stored my bike inside and was super comfortable with the stove going. Plenty of room.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
A stove in crappy weather makes all the difference. Will lift your spirit, dry you out and just more comfortable when mother nature turns south🤙 I’ve gone from the supertarp with annex, silvertip, cimarron lite, cimarron dcf and redcliff. Cimarron awesome for two tight but manageable and redcliff 2.5-3🤙 if someone wants a solid tape sealed tent this old marmot for $50 has many good trips for someone💯

Attachments

• IMG_0500.jpeg
    IMG_0500.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0502.jpeg
    IMG_0502.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0504.jpeg
    IMG_0504.jpeg
    260 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0506.jpeg
    IMG_0506.jpeg