What size spotter for spring bear?

j3h8

FNG
Thanks for the input everyone. My wife is especially excited that everyone agrees the spotter I already own is good enough and that we don’t “need” to spend money on more gear
First mistake, not buying a new spotter as soon as you thought you needed one. Second mistake, letting your wife know you didn't need the spotter because the internet folks told you so.

Always take the low road and purchase first, ask forgiveness after.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a spotter for bear hunting. It’s a fixed 20x Leupold.

View attachment 701432View attachment 701431

I used one as well for several years

05qyuo7.jpg

qWNnQOG.jpg

BUT recently splurged :D

y64Z63W.jpg

TheGDog

WKR
Speaking strictly glassing, regardless of species, I also have the Vortex 11-33x50. BUT.. for me.. what I came to find was that I didn't like that when I decided something needed a closer look, I always had to commit to memory a nearby larger object... because then I'd have to lower the tripod down more to put an Angled optic on. And you invariably have to spend a lil time re-acquiring target to some degree.

Bought the Zeiss 65mm Dailyt which I love the amazing image. But felt it was a little heavy for this steep place I was trying to climb my fatassi self up to. So knew I wanted to try another Straight-body, cause it's nice, I don't hardly have to re-adjust where it's pointed at when swapping optics with adapter plate-based systems.

Came real close to pulling the trigger on an STC, but needed it to arrive quicker then they'd be ready for sale by.

Ended up scoring a used Maven S.2 12x27 spotter. I'm likin' it soo far. And for protecting it in the pack I can just shove it into an old MotoX sock, then slip it into my side pocket on the pack, easy-peasy. Makes it faster to retrieve outta the pack too.

EDIT: Note, another facet of my decision was how most of the smallest angled scopes DON'T allow you the luxury of being able to rotate the body of the scope while it's mounted on the tripod. And among the more thick Chaparral areas I'll go to... this disallows you the ability to stretch that tripod up tall so you can look OVER the top of the taller vegetation found there. Especially when trying to look downhill over vegetation, the angled body inhibits that scenario.
-G

Last edited:
OP
Thisisme2828
Speaking strictly glassing, regardless of species, I also have the Vortex 11-33x50. BUT.. for me.. what I came to find was that I didn't like that when I decided something needed a closer look, I always had to commit to memory a nearby larger object... because then I'd have to lower the tripod down more to put an Angled optic on. And you invariably have to spend a lil time re-acquiring target to some degree.

Bought the Zeiss 65mm Dailyt which I love the amazing image. But felt it was a little heavy for this steep place I was trying to climb my fatassi self up to. So knew I wanted to try another Straight-body, cause it's nice, I don't hardly have to re-adjust where it's pointed at when swapping optics with adapter plate-based systems.

Came real close to pulling the trigger on an STC, but needed it to arrive quicker then they'd be ready for sale by.

Ended up scoring a used Maven S.2 12x27 spotter. I'm likin' it soo far. And for protecting it in the pack I can just shove it into an old MotoX sock, then slip it into my side pocket on the pack, easy-peasy. Makes it faster to retrieve outta the pack too.

EDIT: Note, another facet of my decision was how most of the smallest angled scopes DON'T allow you the luxury of being able to rotate the body of the scope while it's mounted on the tripod. And among the more thick Chaparral areas I'll go to... this disallows you the ability to stretch that tripod up tall so you can look OVER the top of the taller vegetation found there. Especially when trying to look downhill over vegetation, the angled body inhibits that scenario.
-G
It’s funny you mention Maven. The one I was thinking about buying to replace or supplement my small razor is the maven CS.1A. It is about 15oz heavier but very comparable in length. I just like the idea of a little higher magnification and larger objective lens. But then again, ounces are pounds and pounds are pain.

TheGDog

WKR
Grin and bear it, and pop for the better glass man. If you have to, be patient and keep checking the Used Gear listings on here.

ESPECIALLY for binos! It's even more important for Binos IMO. Because on the better binos, the Depth-of-Field of the image, how much of where you're pointing the optic at, at the focused upon distance... how much in front of, and behind the intended object you can still see without needing to further adjust the focus.. is SO MUCH BETTER on higher tier binos man! (And Of Course the main reason is the brightness, contrast, and sharpness)

So as a result, your brain is processing much more image data at-a-time in the FOV as you scan across the terrain (not as important when you're just glassing an opposing ridge, but instead where you're on the flatlands and making use of one. That Depth-of-Field is nice!

On the lesser tier binos, you'll do more hunting back-and-forth with the focus ring, which over the course of the entire day can cost you more time to process thru an area you're glassing-up.

Make sure the Tripod you have, or that you buy is rated to hold enough oz to be able to properly support the type of spotter you'd like to run. Especially important when you're looking at getting a lighter weight tripod and being weight conscious.

Goody454

FNG
Grin and bear it, and pop for the better glass man. If you have to, be patient and keep checking the Used Gear listings on here.

ESPECIALLY for binos! It's even more important for Binos IMO. Because on the better binos, the Depth-of-Field of the image, how much of where you're pointing the optic at, at the focused upon distance... how much in front of, and behind the intended object you can still see without needing to further adjust the focus.. is SO MUCH BETTER on higher tier binos man! (And Of Course the main reason is the brightness, contrast, and sharpness)

So as a result, your brain is processing much more image data at-a-time in the FOV as you scan across the terrain (not as important when you're just glassing an opposing ridge, but instead where you're on the flatlands and making use of one. That Depth-of-Field is nice!

On the lesser tier binos, you'll do more hunting back-and-forth with the focus ring, which over the course of the entire day can cost you more time to process thru an area you're glassing-up.

Make sure the Tripod you have, or that you buy is rated to hold enough oz to be able to properly support the type of spotter you'd like to run. Especially important when you're looking at getting a lighter weight tripod and being weight conscious.

Great advice/insight on the Binos.

I’ve always used lower-tier Binos in the past and have just recently been able to appreciate better glass. I agree with your comments on focusing and wasting time.