What stocks do you all prefer?

Luked

WKR
I have 3 rifles that I would like to swap stocks on.
2 are Savage Axis guns. Cheap I know but both of these things are really good shooters. One in 6.5CM and the other is my wifes 7mm-08 but need a youth model stock because her short little T-rex arms think its a 12" LOP.
The other is a Model 70 Winchester in 300 WSM that a buddy gave me.
I know Boyds makes some decent stocks but thought I would ask you all what you prefer.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
MDT makes good Axis chassis. Not sure what other stocks are available for the Axis.
I know what you mean about having good shooting Savages... inexpensive/cheap guns that shoot so dang good.

t_carlson

WKR
My favorite aftermarket stocks have been Manners the EH-8.

You will probably find that options are very limited for budget-priced rifles like the Axis, though. Savage might make a youth model stock, so I would check there first. That will be the cheapest option, in all likelihood.

Boyds will certainly be stiffer than a factory synthetic, but will also weigh a lot more.

SloppyJ

WKR
Man it's really slim pickings on the m70. There are some stockys stocks, HS precision, and McMillan. I sincerely wish there was more love for the M70. It's my favorite platform but they aren't very user friendly compared to the new age stuff and custom actions. I have a dream to rebarrel my M70 supergrade into a McMillan and put a proof barrel on it. Sort of a new age take on an old classic in 30-06. If you find any good options other than that, please let me know.

The two savage axis you have are pretty tricky too. Savage in general doesn't have a large aftermarket for some reason but the short actions are the best bet. I put my black friday action in a Boyd's. It took quite some time to get it fitting right and then I bedded it with marine tex. I also rebarreled it from 6.5 to .308 with a stock fluted varmint contour barrel from NSS and a new nut. I wanted to thread it but it was cheaper to get a new barrel and not deal with the stock sporter barrel. Turned out pretty good and shoots great considering the cost. Right around .75moa.

Attachments

• 20230320_165121.jpg
    20230320_165121.jpg
    626.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230410_174717.jpg
    20230410_174717.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 37

Stockys

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Man it's really slim pickings on the m70. There are some stockys stocks, HS precision, and McMillan. I sincerely wish there was more love for the M70. It's my favorite platform but they aren't very user friendly compared to the new age stuff and custom actions. I have a dream to rebarrel my M70 supergrade into a McMillan and put a proof barrel on it. Sort of a new age take on an old classic in 30-06. If you find any good options other than that, please let me know.

The two savage axis you have are pretty tricky too. Savage in general doesn't have a large aftermarket for some reason but the short actions are the best bet. I put my black friday action in a Boyd's. It took quite some time to get it fitting right and then I bedded it with marine tex. I also rebarreled it from 6.5 to .308 with a stock fluted varmint contour barrel from NSS and a new nut. I wanted to thread it but it was cheaper to get a new barrel and not deal with the stock sporter barrel. Turned out pretty good and shoots great considering the cost. Right around .75moa.
Stay tuned for the model 70… we love that one too.

Mt4+4

FNG
AG composite makes some really nice stocks. I'm not sure if they inlet for the actions you have but it might be worth checking with them.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
MDT makes good Axis chassis. Not sure what other stocks are available for the Axis.
I know what you mean about having good shooting Savages... inexpensive/cheap guns that shoot so dang good.
Axis IIs are probably the most common rifle at our state range come zeroing time prior to deer season. The guys that shoot them seem to like them. They`re not Tikkas, don`t try to be, and cost less but will put metal on target.

Found it interesting that at our local PSA outlet, I asked the guy behind the gun counter what brand of " traditional " hunting style rifles they sell the most. Without drawing breath he said " Savage ". I`m sure price point has a lot to do with that as well as a reputation for out of the box accuracy.

SloppyJ

WKR
We’ll be releasing a super grade and vertical grip by the end of the year.
That's what I'm talking about! When these release you have just won yourself a new customer. Not to mention the man card yall just earned making something classy for the "rifleman's rifle".

ibjsb

FNG
I have 3 rifles that I would like to swap stocks on.
2 are Savage Axis guns. Cheap I know but both of these things are really good shooters. One in 6.5CM and the other is my wifes 7mm-08 but need a youth model stock because her short little T-rex arms think its a 12" LOP.
The other is a Model 70 Winchester in 300 WSM that a buddy gave me.
I know Boyds makes some decent stocks but thought I would ask you all what you prefer.
Stockys or McMillan