What!!?? The dreaded hearing aid

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jeez, amazing what you discuss as you age.
I figured I would post this here even though hearing loss affects younger folks also.
So..........without breaking the bank or selling off your gun collection, anyone have experience with affordable and cheaper hearing aids that you are happy with??
It's mind-boggling what some of them cost.

Randy

Bluefish

WKR
Having worked in the industry, I would say go to Costco. They take the least markup of anyone. While not a scam, the way the industry is setup is that visits are not charged and profit is made on hearing aids to cover all costs. This makes hearing aids expensive. Also there is a push to use ric‘s, receiver in canal. No custom earmolds required and can send you home with a set right away.
once hearing damage is done, there is no undoing it. Hearing aids can only amplify sounds so you can hear them better. Also if you wait too long before getting them the brain can forget a frequency and you never hear it again.
hunter do a lot of damage one shot at a time. A single gunshot is worse than working a full day in a loud factory. Wear hearing protection when hunting or get a can if you value your hearing.

87TT

WKR
I got mine at Costco. They used to have an extended warranty if you used their CC. I think they ditched it though. But on a side note, after the warranty, it only cost less than $300 to send them in for repair and I think they just send out new ones.

wyosteve

WKR
Guess I'll chime in. I'm on my second set of aids from Costco. First were 6 years ago and Phonak brand. Used batteries. Worked very well. After 5 years one of them went bad. They cost $2600 in 2017. Got re-tested and new aids this winter, again at Costco. These are Jabra's, rechargeable. Cost was $1600. So far pleased with them as well. Our local Costco has state certified audiologists who test and program the aids. At first I was concerned about the rechargeable type and being able to use them on extended wilderness hunts. Found out they will charge off of a battery bank which I typically carry anyway to charge my phone. Tried the bank at home and used it to charge the aids for 10 days and only used 1/4 of the 21,000 charging capability, so theoretically, I could get over a month of charges off the bank. Even if you don't suspect much hearing loss, get tested. It's amazing what you don't realize you don't hear! Forgot birds actually sing!!

Reactions: ZDR

PNWGATOR

WKR
They say vision and hearing are the second and third things to go…just sayin’.

Costco is the answer.

Last edited:

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
My wife got me a hearing test and then aids from Sams Club (birthday gift).They were $1499.00 the next step up was $2600.00 but the sales women said I didn’t need those. Brand name was Lucid. I got used to them pretty quick (when I wear them). I’ll be curious to see what I can hear when I’m hunting...heck, I might even kill something this year.

I have a severe loss and am 3 sets in on aids. You get what you pay for especially customer service. A top audiologist will work with you to find what meets your unique needs. My last round I got ReSound aids. They did custom molds, hearing tests to match the programming to your loss, etc. Those aids for me were horrible. All kinds of quirks and issues. She said 'no problem" and switched me over to Phonac which have been fabulous all around. ( you may experience the opposite on those brands) Yes, expensive but I have been there many times on the original charge. Warranty is 3 years including loss. Nice to be at an independent firm who has many options to try. (you go to Miracle Ear you get Miracle ear).

CALL YOUR INSURANCE!! We were with United and they had $500/ear. Now my company is with Blue Cross and they are 80% coverage on aids every 3 years! Mine were over $7000 but they paid 80% and I flexed the rest.

All that said....don't wait! The auditory nerve is a "use it or lose it" proposition. I hears guy say "I will need aids some day". Bad idea, the longer you wait the worse they get.

It's important to keep in mind that while more affordable hearing aids may not have all of the bells and whistles of more expensive models, they can still provide significant benefits and improve your overall quality of life. It's also a good idea to consult with an audiologist to determine which type of hearing aid will work best for your specific needs.

Kenn

WKR
Having worked in the industry, I would say go to Costco. They take the least markup of anyone. While not a scam, the way the industry is setup is that visits are not charged and profit is made on hearing aids to cover all costs. This makes hearing aids expensive. Also there is a push to use ric‘s, receiver in canal. No custom earmolds required and can send you home with a set right away.
once hearing damage is done, there is no undoing it. Hearing aids can only amplify sounds so you can hear them better. Also if you wait too long before getting them the brain can forget a frequency and you never hear it again.
hunter do a lot of damage one shot at a time. A single gunshot is worse than working a full day in a loud factory. Wear hearing protection when hunting or get a can if you value your hearing.
I worked in the industry too and agree with all of this.

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
Costco for sure. Have had mine for a year, 1st pair. They're great, the wife speaks and enunciates very clearly now ;-) I've had two audiologists say that, unless you have some really bad affliction, 80% of the people can do just fine with the reduced cost, somewhat reduced functionality hearing aids that Phonak provides to Costco.

My hearing is horrible totally deaf in the right ear and a severe loss in my right (military related) the V.A. supplies my hearing aids, and they are very good the one in my right ear transmits sound to the one in the left ear. I can now locate sounds pretty well. Lost the one for my right ear a way back and it was replaced with no problems. Every three years go in for an audiology exam and upgrade if needed. Wear quality hearing protection when hunting or shooting. Take care of your hearing if not for the aids I would of have to stop hunting. As I hunt alone in some off the beaten path places and never know what might come wandering bye.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can’t believe I’m just seeing this thread. Good information here. My hearing has been damaged for years and I’m just coming around to the realization that hearing aids are likely in my immediate future.

Finn16

WKR
I got mine at Costco as well. I made sure I got the doctor to do my testing and fitting instead of the technician or whatever they are called. I explained to the doctor that I hunted and was concerned with wind noise (whistle) from the aids. She suggested I get the Jabras which have 3 modes, "All Around", "Restaurant" and "Outdoor". They are paired to my iphone via the Jabra Enhance Pro app and that is where you do the mode selection, volume and other stuff. I am amazed at how well the Outdoor mode works when windy. You just adjust the Wind Noise Reduction level until you can't hear the wind. I really like them in restaurants also as you can drown out all the background chatter. They were $400 more than the Kirkland hearing aids. If I remember right, they were $1800 for the pair.

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
My daughter has a clinical doctorate in audiology. She sent me to Costco. Had the test and got fitted with Jaba aides. They Bluetooth to my phone and are adjustable by my phone so I can adjust “on the fly”. I got rechargeable ones. Very satisfied. Good luck!