What time do you come off the mountain durning archery elk hunting?

Meals7

FNG
Take advantage of all the day light. Even if elk are quite walk timbered ridges above bowls looking for trails or sign going into it.

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
Hunt until you legally can’t.

We had a bull step out with 3 minutes to go. We had no idea he was there, came out perfect and we dropped him. Lots of wolves in the area so he came in silent.

It's your hunt! Do whatever you want. Don't feel bad about checking out early, if that makes you feel better/safer/less stressed. Remember, it's not just about taking an animal. It's supposed to be fun!

Here’s my way of thinking… of keeping my sanity. I’m there to kill a freaking elk! That’s the goal. My license cost an arm and a leg. I waited x number of years to hunt. I dumped a boatload of cash on gear. Gas to get there wasn’t exactly cheap. Also I used up my hard earned vacation days. I love elk hunting. I love doing anything in the mountains. But for all I have invested in my hunt it sure would be much more fun if I actually killed something.

Every decision I make leans toward accomplishing that goal. Should I take the easy trail at the fork in the road or bust my ass uphill because the thermals are rising and I really should stay above them. Uphill it is! But the number one factor in being in the right place at the right time is TIME. If you hunt 10 days instead of 5 you are twice as likely to succeed. If you shave 2 hours off if your hunt because hiking in the dark makes you nervous you are seriously reducing your odds of killing anything. I’m at my spot before the sky even begins to show signs of a new day. And I’m there until I can’t see.

There is nothing to be afraid of. With today’s mapping technology… and if it makes you feel better a box of reflective tacks, and you can easily navigate around any hazards. Carry a spare headlamp and a shitload of batteries. An actual topo map. And more water than you’ll drink. There’s nothing out there that’s going to eat you at night that wouldn’t eat you in broad daylight.

This is another one of those things where knowing your area like the back of your hand pays off. I bet you don’t think twice about walking back to your truck from your deer stand back home because it’s dark. First and last light is killing time! And even if you don’t kill something at last light being there might pay off the next morning.

At the end of a hunt no matter what happens I never have to say “what if?” What might have happened ifI did this or didn’t do that. The only way I can be at peace until next season is if I’m able to say to myself I gave 100% all day every day. Not 99. Not 90… 💯!

Trevor96

Lil-Rokslider
I shot both of my bulls in the last half hour of legal shooting light

gelton

WKR
Stay till dark for sure. Out of the group of hunters I hunt with and myself 75% of the elk have been killed at last light, 25% mid-day (like 3pm), and 0% in the morning.

Hunted with a guy once who didn't want to get out of the tent because he was too cold, when he finally did come out he was decked out in First Lite Gear, I said what brand is that on your shirt there...he said First Lite, and I said, huh, wonder why they named it that. Could say the same if they called it last light too.

Last season, shot my bull at last light. Broke it down with a headlamp on. Battery's where going out, light only shone about 3 feet in front of me, as i had to climb up to my camp. this again, is what went thru my head.

Stay till dark for sure. Out of the group of hunters I hunt with and myself 75% of the elk have been killed at last light, 25% mid-day (like 3pm), and 0% in the morning.
Same. I think that bulls are wire out and bedded down not long after the sun comes up. But after several hours they are rested up enough for some mid day action. So we have some mid day action. But evenings have been best. Part of the reason for that though is because we put elk to bed in the morning and go back to work them at the end of the day.

Deadfall

WKR
We are discussing staying on the mountain till end of shooting light. Our concern is being a NR and never set foot in the area we are archery Elk hunting is safety. We have packed a elk out in the dark and it wasn't fun not being on a trail. Our plan is to get to a spot within a hour of a trail lower on the mountain for the evening hunt. More of a ambush set up. We will be in central Colorado this year 11,000 feet max, camp at 9200. We have always been back at camp while it was still light enough to see and feel we are missing out on prime hunting.
You are definitely missing out!

One of the reasons I've decided to ATV up and backpack camp in instead of stay at the cabin with my buddies for my week of Archery hunting next month. First light and last light.

If I have a 1 hour ATV ride and a mile to hike every morning/evening to get back and forth from the cabin. Not to mention the distraction of waiting on the other guys, a solid breakfast, staying up drinking and BS'ing. I know I won't see enough dark time in the woods to be 100% effective.

I don’t know how people can hunt all day? I’m not giving up 1 second of first or last light.