What to do next

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
What have I missed or forgotten?
Tags for 4th rifle season for area 11 in CO are in the truck - guided on private grounds
set up Truck with new tires and chains and oil change scheduled for Monday, route and snacks are on hand
I've set up and sighted in my rifle(s) to 300 and 400 yards with 60 rds for each
I've tested and packed all my clothes for both hunting and the drive out
I've gotten into reasonable shape for a fat old guy, as I made it thru the Sodak pheasant & duck seasons
I've cleaned coolers and freezer on the off chance we get shoot something
Studied all migration, fire and rain maps for NW Colorado
what can I or should I do until the 15th when I start the trip out?

I'm heading out Tuesday to the Craig, CO area for 3rd season elk and mule deer at a private ranch. I also am packed, washed the truck, front end alignment, tires rotated, oil change, food, water...lol

I was out there 2 years ago and thought my 60 year body was in okay shape. Well could not prepare for the lack of oxygen...lol

Been walking and working out just about everyday since January, been wearing my boots the last several weeks. Helped my legs as my boots are much heavier.

Go for walks, shoot your gun ( I've been dry fire shooting mine in lots of different positions) and go thru your gear at least a hundred more times!! My wife is laughing and told me I wasn't going to the Yukon and if I forgot something she's pretty sure there are stores in Craig!!!!!!

Good luck I'd leave today if it wasn't for that pesky thing called work.

In my prep for 3rd rifle here in colorado I have laid all my clothes out, washed them, sprayed outerwear with camp dry, cleaned my JetBoil and mugs and stocked up on fuel. My next project is to build a meal plan and get groceries.

^^That. Stay in shape and start doing mental exercises to toughen that up. Mentally picture various scenarios that may occur and how you respond to them. Focus on the anticipated satisfaction of success. Image yourself dog ass tired, cold, seen no elk and choosing to still get up and go into the next drainage, that’s where you find them. It is always the next spot you look. Ok, maybe not but going through the mental prep is the best thing I do before season.

davsco

WKR
record lows (and decent snow) during 2nd rifle there, bring plenty of layers, hand warmers, etc!

craig has a walmart, also a big store at 13 & 40, sort of like a tractor supply with pretty decent firearms and hunting section. good luck!!

Keep studying your maps and have a plan. You have to stay positive during a hunt and nothing ruins that more than blowing through your A, B, C, D, and E spot through the first couple of days of the hunt and having nowhere to go.

OP
B

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
Clothes I set up several layering scenarios, in SoDak we got done to 16 degrees and my merino base and jacket were enough and I am bring another heavier base and jacket system along with my whitetail stump sitting clothes. I have waxed and coated my gloves (4pr) and boots (3pr) and my gaiters(at first didn't think I would need).
pack has a 3l bladder and I have Gatorade bottles as well
I'm from upstate NY where we get lake effect snow which is as heavy as mountain snows we get several hundred inches a year and my truck has skid plates and large tires that handle snow here well.
I walk at lower elevations for two hours every morning training the dogs and I hike the local and canal trails after that with the pack loaded as I plan to hunt
and one of our group found a 500+ yrd range and i will shoot on it later this week
I retired a few years ago so idle time is my worst enemy

Watch videos. I watch tons of videos on tactics and calling techniques for the time of year.

I’d also continue to go over onX or whatever maps you use looking for new spots to hunt.

Get it in your head that plans don’t work and have as many tools in your box as possible. My favorite mantra: think like a pessimist and act like an optimist. Every ridge is an opportunity to find elk! Every drainage holds elk! I just have to get to the next one and he’ll be there!

Lastly, have you practiced cooking and all your “camp” skills wirh the equipment you’re taking?

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
Pack extra extra socks. Go wear your boots and hike as much as possible now to break in your feet. Take leukotape and pretape any areas you have had hot spots or blisters in the past

One more thing I'd work on whenever I could is shooting from weird positions. Leaning on a post, prone, seated, figure a way to make a bipod out of treking poles (unless you already have a nice bipod), offhand...elk love to give you the most awkward shots. I shot a bull and a cow last year offhand under 50y each. I shot my bull this year prone on a flat ledge at 250y broadside...those are 3 perfect scenarios. Perfect scenarios rarely arise...my next opportunity will probably be 375y while sitting on a 45 degree hill with. 60mph winds.

You can practice at home too, just getting in weird positions and getting comfortable and looking through the scope. I practice setting up my trecking pole bipod all the time and getting comfortable behind the scope. It helps a lot in the field.

bp702

FNG
You've done the prep - now map out the big box & sporting goods stores on your travel route. You'll remember things you've forgotten 1 at a time - usually as soon as you get on the road after stopping to buy something...

hobbes

WKR
If you are guided on private land, I'd ask the guide/ outfitter for a list of things to bring or a list of things that folks commonly forget.