What to do with my old savage axis .30-06

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I finally upgraded to a Tikka in .30-06. I’m now in the predicament of what to do with my old savage axis .30-06. It has the factory stock and a cheap bushnell scope. I was thinking about selling it, but I’m sure I wouldn’t get more than $150 for it. And I’ve killed so many animals with it that I honestly would prefer to keep it. I also have two young sons that may get some use out of it one day. So then I started thinking about some other options…

Option 1- find a factory takeoff barrel in a smaller caliber for target practice and my wife/kids to use. Although I’m not sure which calibers would be compatible with the long action?

Option 2- throw a Boyd’s stock on it and maybe still take it out hunting instead of the tikka once in awhile

Option 3- let it sit in the safe and give it to my sons to beat up one day

Open to other ideas as well…

Talk about it over the dinner table like it's an absolute trophy of a gun, because of what you've already done with it. Something you care about. When you let your boys handle it, make it feel like a reverent experience. Then, when they're ready to start hunting, let them know that it's for sale - one of them at least will do anything to work for the money for it (fair price, of course), and will cherish the hell out of it until he has boys.

Separately, it's worth noting that you have two guns in the same chambering, and are likely sitting on a small pile of 30-06 ammo. It's great to have a backup, or one you can loan someone who you may want hunting with you.

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
My brother has a savage that was a 270 we rebarreled it to 6.5 creedmore and cycles fine I would think about rebarreling to 22-250, 22 creedmore, 243, or 6 creedmore. Your boys will definitely enjoy shooting those cartridges more than 30/06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
DunnCoHunter

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies, it’s a good reminder that my boys will hopefully think it’s cool just because of the history. My wife shoots a .243 so that might be a good option and I can keep the .30-06 barrel as well

robtattoo

WKR
Check ebay for takeoff factory barrels. There are (were) hundreds, dirt cheap.
You can rebarrel it to literally any caliber that shares the same case head diameter (0.473")

All Axises (Axii?) are long action, the only difference is the magazine length.

grfox92

WKR
Even with a prefit (if they make them), the cost to re barrel will be more than a brand new axis. I'd put it in the safe and maybe get some reduced recoil loads for it for your boys when they are a little older.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Mike 338

WKR
I have a budget 30-06 I've been thinking of turning into a 35 Whelen. Maybe a short saddle beater gun that can keep me company.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to see selling is not an option. Too much history. I tend to be a bit sentimental concerning some guns.

jimh406

WKR
Option 1 and as others have noted, there are plenty of Savage takeoff barrels on Bay, and they are very easy to change.

bbell

WKR
Check out Northland Shooter supplies. They have take off barrels at a reasonable price. Or put up a WTB here and find a fun cheap caliber to shoot if you want to rebarrel.

I just took off a 7mm-08 and put a 6 Creedmoor barrel on. Super easy to do and it shoots great. That said I wish I had just bought a Howa mini in 6mm arc when they were in stock. But it was a fun project.

Mish-pop

Lil-Rokslider
My vote is option 3: when I was young I had the chance to shoot my dad's shotgun. He still used it when I moved from a 20 gauge youth to a 12 gauge so I didn't get his. However, the experience of just shooting my dad's gun was a moment to cherish. I felt it made the couple hunts I used it more surreal. He wanted me to practice with a 12 before buying one and it made me feel like I was growing up and starting to join the adult club. Not a rifle, so not the same, but my personal 2 cents.