What to expect

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a cow tag for third rifle in unit 52 in Colorado. This will be my first trip to that area to hunt and I am trying to get all the info possible. We are planning to set up camp around the good enough reservoir and hunting a little higher up away from roads near priest mountain if possible. I have maps and I have researched the unit, but what should I expect weather wise? I know there are a lot of hunters in the unit, but I hope to advoid some of them by getting off the beaten trail. If there is any part of my plan I need to change I'm open for any and all ideas.

vanish

WKR
what should I expect weather wise?

Third rifle is probably the least predictable season in Colorado as far as weather goes. You can easily have 70 degree weather or two feet of snow or both over the course of the season.

Ditto to what vanish said. At the end of October, you can be in t-shirts and shorts at 10,000' or cutting your way through 2-3' of snow. I've literally shot and killed an elk in a t-shirt base layer one day, then two days later struggled throughout the day with my frozen nalgene and frozen camelback.

I'd be ready for everything -- which if you put together a solid layer system you should be good.

OP
B

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
My clothing and gear system is solid. We are setting up a wall tent with a stove as a base camp and backpacking out form there. Only gear issue that concerns me is not having a tipi stove combo. I have a 4 season tent I'll be using while hunting.