What'd you forget?

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
We're all stuffing the last few things into our packs, going over gear lists, grocery lists, piling up the garage or hobby rooms with stuff... and I have a nagging feeling I'm forgetting something. The last couple things on my lists are oil change and tire rotation, both appointments are tomorrow.

Thought I'd start a lighthearted thread on things we've forgotten. Plus, it may remind someone they forgot to add it to their gear list.

One year when my son and I were heading out to do an overnight scouting trip I thought I had thrown in a cheap tent. When we got to the trail head I realized I had thrown in a beach sun shade. When I got home I took a sharpie and wrote, "Not A Tent" on both ends. The damn bag looks identical to a tent I also own.

If you're so inclined, finish the sentence, "One time, I forgot..."

Not hunting but this weekend I forgot my sleeping bag while I was climbing a 14er. Worst 2 nights of sleep ever. Glad it happened then and not during a hunt.

Gerbdog

WKR
First backpacking trip with my GF, one of the first dates, I forgot the tent poles. Used heavy rocks in the corners and rope under a tree to hold it up. She stuck around anyway, lucky me.

7-mile hike into my mule deer hunting spot, brought the cell phone backup battery charger.... forgot the cord to go from the battery to the cell phone.... woops.

I forgot to grab my clothes bag for a 9 day mule deer hunt. I also forgot to bring a socket to fit my aftermarket lug nuts. My buddy forgot his tag at home. All on the same hunt.

Bl704

WKR
On different occasions (not already covered):
*Release/spare release,
*Headlamp (morning deer hunt, used full moon and phone)
*Nearly forgot my tags once (most states have a reprint option)
*A belt (bought on the way)
Leukotape or pretaping
Cold weather gear one time on a winter deer hunt (was able to borrow pieces from several folks and layer up)

OP
L

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
7-mile hike into my mule deer hunting spot, brought the cell phone backup battery charger.... forgot the cord to go from the battery to the cell phone.... woops.
Shit, that's one thing I don't have packed, the cord for my phone! Thank you!

Now I have a cord for my Inreach, which also works on a couple other electronics and my phone cord.

Gerbdog

WKR
Another one i have come really close to forgetting is a small knife sharpener for the kill kit, I know a lot of people have gone to disposable blades now but I still like a good ole fashion knife

Tire chains!
Tire chains... One year a buddy had a late elk tag in the Owyhees. I let him borrow my Toyota chains to use while he was down there. In the meantime, I had a tag above Riggins and I drove my GMC. It started to snow one day and we had throw iron on to get back to camp. I was having a helluva time getting my chains to fit the GMC. Well, long story short, I hosed us both! He had my full size chains and I had the Toyota chains. I ended up making a mad dash to Grangeville and picked up a set. Luckily, he didn't need to use the set that I sent him with.

I was standing in the Walmart near our favorite spot (in CO) a few years ago picking up some odds and ends and a guy from the east coast was panicking at the gun counter because he needed to buy an OTC tag. Apparently he had driven across the country without any form of ID and they wouldn’t issue him one. Pretty sure he ended up missing the first 3 days of a 9 day hunt having it shipped across the country. Ouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.Clancy

WKR
I have forgotten or lost the following: boots, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tags, rain gear, knife, extra shells, extra broadheads, rangefinder, headlamp, phone/GPS, half my food. I have a list now.

We're all stuffing the last few things into our packs, going over gear lists, grocery lists, piling up the garage or hobby rooms with stuff... and I have a nagging feeling I'm forgetting something. The last couple things on my lists are oil change and tire rotation, both appointments are tomorrow.

Thought I'd start a lighthearted thread on things we've forgotten. Plus, it may remind someone they forgot to add it to their gear list.

One year when my son and I were heading out to do an overnight scouting trip I thought I had thrown in a cheap tent. When we got to the trail head I realized I had thrown in a beach sun shade. When I got home I took a sharpie and wrote, "Not A Tent" on both ends. The damn bag looks identical to a tent I also own.

If you're so inclined, finish the sentence, "One time, I forgot..."
Not what I forgot but I had a buddy forget his entire box of handloads for a large caliber rifle... He did a ton of calling around and found a guy that loaded him 20 at $10 a copy 200 mile drive and he was back in buisness... He was successful but we still laugh about that one!!!