Whats the best boot for early/mid season whitetail?

Mdk_archer88

Lil-Rokslider
So I'm in North Georgia fumbling around in these low hills that are just your average everyday of a run woods. No rock climbing or anything nuts but I want a solid boot that I can use early to mid season that I can easily saddle up with too. Is a stiff boot gonna be too much while trying to climb? I've never owned good boots other than my work boots. Everything I do outside I'm in my nikes. I was looking at Saloman 4d GTXs or the Crispi Crossovers. I think I'd like the Crispi Thor 2s but idk if that stiffness will bother me when I choose to saddle? I figure I can't go wrong with the 4d 3 GTXs but I know the Crispis are an all around better boot hands down. I see most Saloman 4ds reviews and I know people run through them quick and people that give them hell bitch and grip about how they're trash but I also believe they aren't meant for the rough and rugged terrain and I'm definitely not going ape shit with them. But Gortex will be a must for me. It gets wet and dewy 90% of the hunts. I'd love all the feedback I can get. But i don't care much to hear the story of how you hiked Mt everest in a simple boot and they shredded apart on your journey as expected. I'm a pretty basic hunter and I'm not traveling across Mordor to deliver a ring either. Salomans the way to go? Crossovers? I like the looks of the Thor 2s best but if they're gonna be too stiff to climb then they're completely off the table. I will eventually buy a pair of thor 2s next year for hiking purposes more than likely but for now I need this early season boot. But if someone can confirm they're fine climbing then I could skip the trilogy and face Sauron head on.

Millwood21

Lil-Rokslider
I live in north Ga also. I’m using the crispi Nevada. I also saddle hunt too. These boots seem to work great for me. I hunt a lot of mountains and the stiffness isn’t bad at all. Could honestly go stiffer without a problem.

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
So I have both the Solomon 4d 3 gtx and crispi crossovers. I have a pretty narrow foot with a lower arch. Both boots broke in easily, but I will say it took a little longer for the 4d’s to completely break in. One thing I will say about the crispis, and every pair of crispis that I’ve owned as a matter of fact, is I had to put different insoles in them. The wool/foam insoles that come in them are absolute junk and made my arches hurt from not having any support. The only reason I mention this is because crispis are good amount of money. When I spend that much on boots, I don’t want to have to spend even more for insoles. But put that aside, and I can’t gripe about either boot. I’m like you. I don’t do anything super serious. I archery hunt and run around checking trail cams. Took a trip to idaho last year elk hunting in some pretty “average” terrain for out there, which is the most serious thing I’ve done. To me, the 4d has more of a sneaker like fit. It’s just a comfy all around boot. The crossover feels a little more like a boot, but not super stiff. It’s definitely stiffer than the 4d though. And you mentioned the thor. I hated them. I tried them 2 different times and told myself I’d never wear them again. It’s a pretty stiff boot and it has a foam midsole and that combo just doesn’t go well together in my opinion. Felt like I had 2x4’s under my feet. I don’t think you could go wrong with either the 4d or crossover. Crossover’s will probably last longer just because they’re leather/suede. And if you go with the crossover, I’ve had good luck with just the dr. Scholls heavy duty support insoles from Walmart. They’re like 12$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunt northern New York in the mountains and until the snow is over my foot I wear lacrosse grange rubber boots. Around the house I saddle hunt at camp I still hunt/track often covering 10+ miles a day.

OP
Mdk_archer88

Mdk_archer88

Lil-Rokslider
Nice feedback! Yah I think I'll prolly get a pair of 4d gtx to try.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Zamberlan 166 Mambas with BOA system. Basically anything other than a Salomon Quest 4D.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
So I have both the Solomon 4d 3 gtx and crispi crossovers. I have a pretty narrow foot with a lower arch. Both boots broke in easily, but I will say it took a little longer for the 4d’s to completely break in. One thing I will say about the crispis, and every pair of crispis that I’ve owned as a matter of fact, is I had to put different insoles in them. The wool/foam insoles that come in them are absolute junk and made my arches hurt from not having any support. The only reason I mention this is because crispis are good amount of money. When I spend that much on boots, I don’t want to have to spend even more for insoles. But put that aside, and I can’t gripe about either boot. I’m like you. I don’t do anything super serious. I archery hunt and run around checking trail cams. Took a trip to idaho last year elk hunting in some pretty “average” terrain for out there, which is the most serious thing I’ve done. To me, the 4d has more of a sneaker like fit. It’s just a comfy all around boot. The crossover feels a little more like a boot, but not super stiff. It’s definitely stiffer than the 4d though. And you mentioned the thor. I hated them. I tried them 2 different times and told myself I’d never wear them again. It’s a pretty stiff boot and it has a foam midsole and that combo just doesn’t go well together in my opinion. Felt like I had 2x4’s under my feet. I don’t think you could go wrong with either the 4d or crossover. Crossover’s will probably last longer just because they’re leather/suede. And if you go with the crossover, I’ve had good luck with just the dr. Scholls heavy duty support insoles from Walmart. They’re like 12$

I've never had ANY pair of boots that came with good insoles from the factory. From cheap boots to high end boots. The stock insoles are junk in them all. First thing I do with any boot is to get rid of the factory insoles and put a good set of aftermarket insoles in. Treat your feet right and they'll take care of you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Let us know which way you go, I am also in the market for a light pair similar to what you are looking for.

Macintosh

WKR
I used to work for a footwear manufacturer, not an expert on the subject but I do know what goes into making them and what lasts and what doesnt. Any boot with an eva midsole and stitched-together split grain upper or cloth upper like both of those boots, you'll go through quickly compared to a full-grain leather boot. The midsoles will also lose much of their cushioning and support relatively fast. If you go into it expecting them to last as long as a heavier, stiffer pair of leather boots, you'll be disappointed. If you go into it expecting to get a year or three out of them, and really want the lower price-tag, comfort, fast break-in and light weight that comes with that type of construction, then you'll probably be happy (a year or three is my experience--others may get more/less based on usage, your weight, weather and storage, how they fit you, etc). I have not worn the crispi's so cant comment on those other than I've heard mostly positive reviews from people I know, but I have had a couple pair of those and similar salomons. I dont think they are "the best" by any stretch but they fit me well (main reason I own them), are pretty easy for me to find locally and seem to stay fairly consistent in their offering from year to year so I can replace a pair I like with the same pair without having to try on a zillion shoes every other year. In general I am happy with my salomons and find they've lasted as well or better than others with similar construction i have used, I wear my xultra3 mids most days as general "sport-utility" shoes and typically get about 18 months out of a pair before they start breaking down (usually the sole separates from the upper and upper stitching starts to pull apart). If its a slightly heavier pair like the 4d's that I dont wear as much for everyday stuff I will typically expect about 2 years out of them. The standard salomon last fits fairly narrow, but if you have a wide or higher volume foot they make a E width in many styles. I would not consider either of those a really stiff boot, so I dont think you'll have any issues with any sort of tree stand or hiking. Depending on your particular foot and how it fits into a given brand/model of shoe, once in a while it will bend right on a stitch or a glued part, and can blow out faster than normal as a result, so if its a concern just pay attention when trying them on where it naturally bends as you walk, and if there is a major seam or potential point of failure there its perhaps best to try a different model--that's not something anyone else can help with as its particular to your foot.

Last edited:

Steve1662

FNG
N. GA here too. I saddle hunt and go with either knee high Irish Setter snake boots and shorts casue its so freaking hot early season or I wear a pair of Salomon GTX 3s if I'm not going too far off the beaten path.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Zerickson

FNG
Classified Approved
I've been hunting in trail runners the past few years. Very breathable and lightweight if you can keep the pack weight down. I mainly saddle hunt so pretty lightweight compared to a stand.

I like my Timberlines be my 4th season in them...from 8-15 opener in the low country to late season northern SC hardwoods. Even use them for turkey season. Plus they are great back up boot for my western trips. YMMV

I prefer the Crispi Thor or Nevada Uninsulated for early season.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

This is the one I bought recently as a part of a goal to hike during summer but still have a boot that can handle some work.

This,Lowa Renegades would fit your needs perfect,I’ve got 2 pair and absolutely cannot wear them out,super comfortable,water proof,light weight,and require no brake in.
I have 5 pair of Lowa’s now ranging from their GTX Low that I wear in the summer,2 pair of Renegades for hiking and fall weather,and a pair of cold weather(newest ones,so far so good)ranging from 1 year old to 5 years old,all are still water proof,comfortable,and holding up well.