What's Your Favorite Tactic for Hunt Early Archery Elk?

pfraze

FNG
Just curious how everyone likes to hunt early archery elk? I put in for a draw unit this year but usually I hunt OTC high pressured elk. This year I plan on taking a different approach and covering more ground by glassing than by foot. The areas I hunt are not well suited for this type of hunting but I know of a few points and ridges that should be beneficial. It seems like the last few years, the elk have not been very vocal early, so I hope this change brings better success. How do you hunt early season elk?

Gerbdog

WKR
Seems to be pretty weather dependent for me whether i find them talking early or not. Hot and dry? pretty quiet.... but: an hour or two before daylight i can still find bugling bulls: they just tend to get to bed before sunlight to stay cool i assume.

Same problem as you: units i hunt arent great for glassing in, there's a few spots, and you can often see elk from those view points, moving across small openings across the valley, which is fun but you still gotta hunt them in the deep timber anyway.

Back to the above, i try and move quietly before dawn, use location bugles, and see if i can pinpoint where they are while its still dark, then if they are way off, make my way towards them in the dark, if they are nearby im gonna sit tight.

When it's hunting hours i'll see if i can get another response with a bugle: if i do, ill go into a sequence and see if he's game and wants to come in and investigate, if that fails, i'll very slowly start to stalk around towards where i heard the bugle coming from, making very faint cow calls if i feel like im making too much noise. Thing is here: move slow: whats the rush? you know there is a bull around, he's likely bedded down, you just gotta keep the wind right and not blow him out.

Obviously depends on the where. Usually when I wake up well before first light I have a glassing spot in mind to head to. I might bugle in the dark as I move to the glassing spot, and even from the glassing spot of it makes sense. If I locate a bull that way, I might re-evaluate my plan. Could try to get close in the dark. Depending on terrain could try to be in a position to get eyes on at first light.

If I don't get an answer I'll proceed to my glassing spot and glass. Ideally, I'll pick up a bull I want to hunt. If I can make a play when he's on his feet I will. Else, I'll try to tail him to his bed. And then, keeping the wind in mind, if I have a good idea where he's bedded, I might move in for a stalk that morning. If the wind is iffy I'll wait. If I have a general idea where he is but not a tight area I might wait till middle of the day, 2PM, and try to get a bugle out of him. If I can, I might stalk him then or put myself in a position to ambush when he gets up later that evening.

It just all depends. I tend to be pretty conservative in my approach, careful, slow, keeping a distance, until the time is right to get aggressive. I don't blow out many elk this way, but also might miss some opportunities more aggressive folks might get.

Firestone

WKR
I'll second exactly what Dos Perros said if the country is more open and I can glass. I also hunt where it is really really thick so calling works best for me here, unless they are talking by themselves and I can keep tabs on them and move in when I get the right opportunity. My favorite method is definitely calling them in when they are screaming but I have probably been more successful over the years playing it slow.

ambush points in the early season with very little to no calling. The closest I have come to a harvest the first week in sept has been setting up in between bedding and feed and zero calling. I hunt where you can glass for miles so scouting really pays off to put you on the right ridge. After the pressure and the rut starts, most of my early scouting locations go out the window as the bulls will change patterns quickly.

Get there a day or two before the season opens, get up high, and a drainage over from and above whatever ridges I'm looking to hunt, stay discrete and glass/ listen for elk talk. Pinpoint as many elk this way as I can and opening morning get to the top of whatever drainage I have picked, but off the back edge until the wind shifts and glass into whatever openings, saddles, water holes I think they may be in, then move in for a lateral or downhill morning stalk. Go super slow and watch the wind/ glass constantly to look for elk moving into openings or near water and feed areas, which can be pretty small in the timber. If I can't identify elk this way I still hunt slowly into the wind along small drainages with water, if I can find good sign this way and identify the primary direction of recent travel I'll sneak along above a trail looking down into the timber. If I can find bedded or moving elk I'll plan a stalk in and might spend a few hours slowly creeping the last hundred yards. I'm a lousy caller, still learning because I always spot and stalked successfully. I have been hunting with a friend who is a far better caller, so if there's no potential stalking areas to be had if I'm with him I would set up and call. Otherwise sit travel trails and water until something moves in. Anticipate hunter pressure and work into areas that may get elk moving into them in response to opening morning.

The best tactic I have found for early season archery is raking. ElkNut goes in depth about this. Highly recommend getting his app. In thick timbered country, find areas with fresh sign and new rubs. Bulls are very territorial, and setting up adjacent to bedding areas while doing a raking sequence has been incredibly successful for me. Always be conscious of thermals and have a solid understanding of transition areas. I hunt the thickest shit in North Idaho you’ve ever seen, and have killed elk without making a sound by using these tactics. Above all, scouting and having a solid understanding of your particular area is key. Good luck!

tracker12

WKR
Really think treestand hunting is way overlooked. But to be effective you really need to know the area u are hunting

LostArra

WKR
Depends where you are hunting and camping.
The "leave in the dark" tactic of Dos Perros can be dangerous where I hunt because the elk could be close, like real close. I've caused a thunderous stampede in the dark and I was less than 100 yds from camp.

I'm an ambush hunter. If I'm still and the elk are moving to bed or water, I have better luck.
If the elk are still (bedded) and I'm moving (stalking) the risk of the hidden guard cow is greater.

Early season (warm) I glass shady areas and since I hunt Wyoming there is usually a good prevailing breeze (or a gale).
I've watched bedded elk for hours. When they start to get restless I try to hustle into a good ambush spot.
It's crazy how many times they get up and start towards me.
So basically know where there is shade and water. Where I hunt the groups of elk go to water in the late afternoon but lone bulls can go anytime.

Randini

FNG
Calf call to locate, calves are like little kids. They can’t keep their mouths shut, once they answer or come your way, Mom will say something.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always hear people say "the elk weren't talking". If you walked into a room full of people and everyone was standing around silent, would you just stand there and be silent with them......or start talking to them? They'll talk once you do........unless you just sound totally out of place.