What's Your Favorite Tactic for Hunt Early Archery Elk?

Jlorsun

FNG
Depends where you are hunting and camping.

The "leave in the dark" tactic of Dos Perros can be dangerous where I hunt because the elk could be close, like real close. I've caused a thunderous stampede in the dark and I was less than 100 yds from camp.

I'm an ambush hunter. If I'm still and the elk are moving to bed or water, I have better luck.

If the elk are still (bedded) and I'm moving (stalking) the risk of the hidden guard cow is greater.

Early season (warm) I glass shady areas and since I hunt Wyoming there is usually a good prevailing breeze (or a gale).

I've watched bedded elk for hours. When they start to get restless I try to hustle into a good ambush spot.

It's crazy how many times they get up and start towards me.

So basically know where there is shade and water. Where I hunt the groups of elk go to water in the late afternoon but lone bulls can go anytime.

This happened to me this year. I was on a big herd and put them to bed the night before. Walking in about 45 min before light to get below where they bedded the night before. Let out a locate to see if they were still on the ridge top and they had dropped 600 yds off the top and were right below me. Sounded like a dozer was rolling through the trees. Ended up calling 2 satellites off the herd by making a big loop and coming in below them.