When the Cone exceeds the size of the Animal

NSI

WKR
How does this get posted?

How do these guys know how to make the most perfect stock geometry in existence, and fail so visibly to responsibly educate shooters?

A lot of objectively bad pronghorn shots, under pretty ideal conditions, with very recent training. What's going wrong in the system? I know it's not the rifles.

14:45 a clean miss at 670 means there was exactly as much chance of hitting the animal in the gut as there was of hitting him in the vitals. Inexcusable. That rifle in someone else's hands could have been ethical at 670. Not in that gent's hands. Full stop, it's your responsibility as guides to not expose hunters to the likelihood of a wounded creature. Even mores when you're taking on the role of instructors. He's coming in saying "I wouldn't shoot a lope past 300" and he's coming out of the training saying "I feel comfortable shooting one at 670."

Clearly something is broken here, or there would not have been a clean miss at that yardage in cream puff conditions. And how do you then encourage him to send another at 600 yards a few hours later? What changed between morning and afternoon to give you sudden confidence that he wouldn't torture a living thing at functionally the same distance?

Stuff like this and the Fierce videos reinforce the fuddlore on shots over 300m being unethical. I'm sick of it.

Either:
You can start standing with your rifle in your hand, assume a shooting position, load fire and hit a 2MOA target at your distance 5 times in a row ... or ... you don't hunt that damn distance. Screw your bench rest training where you hit a plate 4 out of 5 times and give yourself a passing grade. A 20% chance of effing up a living being is more than high enough for me.

/endrant

-J

ZAP035

FNG
I agree. Shooting plates has more to do with causing the shooter to focus on form and get trigger time imo. It shouldn’t be an indicator of hunting capability at that range. The final decision maker should always be the groups you can consistently shoot at that range. And you cannot call anything “consistent” with only one or two sessions shooting at a specific distance. All responsible shooters here know that if you want to be good at it, there’s no skipping out on repetition. It’s a skill and an art learning to shoot long range. Too many people overestimate their skills. Too few are humble enough to show restraint when a trophy is outside of their comfort zone. You aren’t less of a hunter if you can shoot to 300 and your buddy can shoot to 600. It’s not a competition. There’s not a soul who will lose respect for you if you say you’re not comfortable with a shot. Quite the opposite.

They’ve been encouraging and convincing hunters they can shoot animals at distances beyond their capabilities for years ever since they were best of the west. Are you really surprised? I’m not. **** that company.

amassi

WKR
Every time you guys post a YouTube clip and then Flame the creator your drive traffic to their page and thus revenue. Just feeding the algorithm

OP
NSI

NSI

WKR
Every time you guys post a YouTube clip and then Flame the creator your drive traffic to their page and thus revenue. Just feeding the algorithm
I recognize this. At current CPMs, the discussion is worth the squeeze to me.

-J

SDHNTR

WKR
This has always bee nmy problem with Gunwerks. I despise their marketing! Their schtick has always been "buy our overpriced stuff and go whack critters at obscene ranges, no (or minimal) practice needed!"

And until Eagleman gets a new haircut, I just can't.

Last edited: