Where can I get a merino shemagh?

I cannot seem to find these in anything but cotton and cotton blends and alibaba wants a 240pc min purchase. Anyone know of a retailor that sells em or, gotta a family member in Afganistan that can get a couple for me? Looking for green and black & tan and black. 44" X 44" or as close as possible. Something like this one only in merino. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Military-...d=772429821901

Cranny

Lil-Rokslider
Don't know of any merino ones. Tradtional shemagh's are made of cotton. It's used more for cooling and sun protection than for warmth.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd consider buying a quality cotton shemagh over a wool one, and here's why:

If used often and effectively, a cotton shemagh provides shade from the sun, soft insulation around your neck and face, tighter weave for a filter from blowing sand or dust, and fabric density to protect against biting insects.

Merino is warm, but too warm in intense sunlight. It's also a looser weave so mozzies can push their proboscis through the fabric.

Just my two cents, but you might find a quality cotton fabric to win with personal tests.

larry

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
Actually looking for one to use in very cold wind/snow conditions. I hate wearing these.

p23492-Airhole-Traditional-Camo--Balaclava.jpg

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not a shemagh, but the Buff products have served me very well over the years. Availalable in wool and synthetic blend. Keeps the neck warm and my big ears from burning in the sun.

http://www.buffusa.com

I too am a big fan of the buff products. having owned both types (merino and synthetic), I will mention that the merino one seems to "grow" a bit with use...and ultimately get baggy. I think it's perhaps more elastic than the synthetic version, or maybe the wool fibers just have more give naturally. Not a big deal if I am using it as more of a neck gaitor, but if I need it to go into hat/headband mode the synthetic works a lot better because it offers a more snug fit.

OP
Where's Bruce?
I too am a big fan of the buff products. having owned both types (merino and synthetic), I will mention that the merino one seems to "grow" a bit with use...and ultimately get baggy. I think it's perhaps more elastic than the synthetic version, or maybe the wool fibers just have more give naturally. Not a big deal if I am using it as more of a neck gaitor, but if I need it to go into hat/headband mode the synthetic works a lot better because it offers a more snug fit.

Ended up using one of these, worked great for the snow season (without the fringe).

Pendleton Men's Whisperwool Muffler, Black Watch, One Size at Amazon Men’s Clothing store:

Try a silk wild rag. Silk is super warm for its weight. Just not really sturdy but neither is merino compared to other material.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=silk+wild+rags&tag=hydsma-20&index=aps&hvadid=174658562129&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17035770078260051032&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010207&hvtargid=kwd-728632851&ref=pd_sl_7z7dlthm2z_e&gclid=CInfmoyGjtICFcS4wAodsicGFQ

Last edited:

GKPrice

Banned
Try a silk wild rag. Silk is super warm for its weight. Just not really sturdy but neither is merino compared to other material.

Amazon.com: silk wild rags

you'll very seldom see a true "cowboy" without a silk scarf around his/her's neck - I quickly found out why when wrangling for an outfitter years ago and still wear one usually while hunting, it just feels "natural" to me

Great thread...in Montana, obviously merino wool beats out cotton 98% of the time and hence why I'm looking for a merino shemagh. I hadn't thought about trying silk, though--I'll definitely be trying it out.