Where to start, Western Hunt 2018 ?

Great thread!

Hope to get out on my first Elk trip in 2018 or 2019.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

gabenzeke

WKR
If you're set on Colorado, my advice would be to make more than one plan so you have multiple areas Google scouted. It can be crowded, but honestly I've found if you're 3/4 of a mile away from any trails, it's really unlikely you'll see anyone. Put a Ridgeline between you and a trail and you'll feel like you're all on your own away from society.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

freshta

WKR
Damn. Gabenzeke gave away a big secret they taught me in the army and one that works in hunting scenarios quite well...put 2 minor or 1 major terrain feature between yourself and any trails, trailheads, etc. and you will be surprised how many other hunters you avoid. Not all of them but a lot of them.

2 years ago I hunted a basin that was 1/2 mile from a county rd. Was into elk every day and never seen another hunter.
Oh and I was also told there wouldn’t be any elk there until they migrated through.

Do to private land it required a 2 mile hike but the elevation gain was under 500’.

Pick a unit or even 2. Then try to come up with as many spots as you can in them units. You can eliminate some with phone calls before you even get there. If you can’t scout before hand just hunt the spots and eliminate any that don’t have elk.

Gobbler36

WKR
Colorado is an awesome place to archery hunt tons of elk, and lots of rugged places to hunt. If you are going in early September think about what the elk need that time of year, and their most likely habits. Also with you being solo you need to think about getting meat out, it's going to be warm so I personally would put a cap on how far you are going to be able to hunt in order to get meat out in timely fashion. This means you need to go more in depth with your spot choice instead of just thinking about showing up at a trailhead and marching 5 miles back start looking now for little pockets closer by that will have the elks needs, imo steepness of terrain keeps more people at bay than distance