Which 30 Cal Magnum for the new Berger 245grs?

Cody_W

WKR
Hey guys,

I'm planning on building a new hunting rifle based on the upcoming release of the Berger 245gr EOL bullet and could use some help on cartridge selection. I've been tossing around a few with the top 3 being 30-378 BEE, 300 RUM, and 300 Terminator.

The rifle will be built off of a Lone Peak arms 338 Ti action with a West Texas Ordinance Switch Lug installed so barrel change in the future will be a non issue.

This is a no budget build and would like to run a 32" Proof if they'll build it that long to maximize velocity.

The rifle will rest in either a Manners MCS-EHF1A, EH5A, or EH6A depending on how heavy or light I decide to go with. (would love to hear opinions on if the extra 1.6lbs is worth the folding capability.)

It will be topped with a Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52 TMOA.

Thank you everyone in advance for chiming in.

WRO

WKR
Hey guys,

I'm planning on building a new hunting rifle based on the upcoming release of the Berger 245gr EOL bullet and could use some help on cartridge selection. I've been tossing around a few with the top 3 being 30-378 BEE, 300 RUM, and 300 Terminator.

The rifle will be built off of a Lone Peak arms 338 Ti action with a West Texas Ordinance Switch Lug installed so barrel change in the future will be a non issue.

This is a no budget build and would like to run a 32" Proof if they'll build it that long to maximize velocity.

The rifle will rest in either a Manners MCS-EHF1A, EH5A, or EH6A depending on how heavy or light I decide to go with. (would love to hear opinions on if the extra 1.6lbs is worth the folding capability.)

It will be topped with a Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52 TMOA.

Thank you everyone in advance for chiming in.

Why would you build it on a t.i. action, it isn't going to be light, seems like a waste of money to me.

My caliber choice would be a 300 lapua improved.

Mike over at hells canyon arms will build you the exact barrel you want.

Folding stock could be useful as it's the only way you'll get it in most cases with a 32" pipe.

As for scopes, I'd go another route, way too many return to 0 issues with leupolds.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WRO

WKR
Btw, have you heard an official release date?

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
WRO,

The official release date isn’t set but they are saying before the end of the year.

The Ti action was because of you can save half a pound then between that and a carbon wrapped barrel you may have an extra 1.5-2lbs saved.

My thoughts as well on the folding aspect too. It’ll be strapped to the side of my pack during backcountry hunts so I’m trying to make sacrifices on weight where I can but not get rid of my creature comforts (the 32” tube)

I’ve heard a lot about past Leupold scopes, but I haven’t heard anything bad about this new lineup.

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
Stid,

The reason the 300 PRC isn’t in the running is because it’s moving more than 300fps slower than the listed rounds above. Not that it won’t shoot lights out easily, but because it won’t really add any additional effective range to the 300 win mag I already own.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I am also looking forward to this mythical bullet.

I don't think the RUM or the PRC will push it as fast as I would like to see it go. I have a 30 Lapua IMP now. but would love to see what a 300 HCM/Long Lapua could do.

Here is a picture of the 30 Lapua IMP(Left) next to a HCM/Long Lapua Case

771c7e289f8011910627d86677fc0c54.jpg

You can buy the brass. You will have to neck it down to 30 Caliber.
338 Long Lapua /HCM Unprimed Brass 100 Count - Bertram Brass

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
Ryan,

I figured that the 300 RUM would be able to push the 245 to 3100 with a 32”.

I have not seen the 338 long Lapua brass. What chambering will it work for?

I will say I kind of liked the idea of the 30-378 and the 300 RUM for the ability to get factory ammo if in a bind.

Thank you all for the input so far.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ryan,

I figured that the 300 RUM would be able to push the 245 to 3100 with a 32”.

I have not seen the 300 HCM. I’ll have to see what I can dig up on it.

I will say I kind of liked the idea of the 30-378 and the 300 RUM for the ability to get factory ammo if in a bind.

Thank you all for the input so far.

It started as the 30 Raptor by Kirby Allen. But it has some changes to the reamer specs.

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
Ryan,

Just under 3300fps with a 240gr smk is pretty impressive in the 300 Raptor, but the difference in case capacity is pretty substantial between it and a 30-378. Do you think the extra 125-150fps is worth it or has the spec changes made that gap bigger?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ryan,

Just under 3300fps with a 240gr smk is pretty impressive in the 300 Raptor, but the difference in case capacity is pretty substantial between it and a 30-378. Do you think the extra 125-150fps is worth it or has the spec changes made that gap bigger?

I have zero info on a 30-378. So I can't help you there. If you want the most efficient I think the 30 Lapua IMP is your best bet.

Dusty2426

WKR
WRO,

The official release date isn’t set but they are saying before the end of the year.

The Ti action was because of you can save half a pound then between that and a carbon wrapped barrel you may have an extra 1.5-2lbs saved.

My thoughts as well on the folding aspect too. It’ll be strapped to the side of my pack during backcountry hunts so I’m trying to make sacrifices on weight where I can but not get rid of my creature comforts (the 32” tube)

I’ve heard a lot about past Leupold scopes, but I haven’t heard anything bad about this new lineup.

Never had a single issue with leupold return to zero. Own 4 different ones and they work like a charm everytime for me.

WRO

WKR
WRO,

They've been saying that for the last 3 years.

What's your goal for the rifle? I've been down the rabbit hole, once a bunch of times.

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
WRO,

My goal is for this gun to be my do everything rifle in laments terms I guess. Being it’ll have the SwitchLug I will be able to change calibers but I want it to start out as something that I can strap to the side of my pack on 10 day wilderness hunts. So I don’t want it to be 15lbs, but I also want to be able to have enough knock down power at a mile if needed. I don’t want loading to be a huge pain so I would like non special ordered dies but I would be willing to fire form brass if I had to.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I second getting a hold of Mike at hells canyon armory. He's making a 30 Cal Norma Magnum improved variant of his 338 big Johnson cartridge. He also builds his own carbon barrels so fixes that problem too.

WRO

WKR
WRO,

My goal is for this gun to be my do everything rifle in laments terms I guess. Being it’ll have the SwitchLug I will be able to change calibers but I want it to start out as something that I can strap to the side of my pack on 10 day wilderness hunts. So I don’t want it to be 15lbs, but I also want to be able to have enough knock down power at a mile if needed. I don’t want loading to be a huge pain so I would like non special ordered dies but I would be willing to fire form brass if I had to.
Once you get north of 1k, it gets pretty challenging shooting from field conditions.

If you're looking away switch barrels, I'd highly consider shooting a rum based cartridge, lots more options for other calibers vs a lapua based cartridge.

338 edge for your elr caliber, then a rum, nosler, prc etc for standard range work.

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
WRO,

I planned to just purchase two bolts. I'll most likely use a 300 win or 7mm variant for range work anyways. I've definitely considered the 338 edge or edge +p, but I'm not sold on the idea when the lapua based cartridges are the same amount of prep for better performance. and then again there is the 30-378.

Does anyone have experience with the 30-378 or is it losing it's following?

WRO

WKR
WRO,

I planned to just purchase two bolts. I'll most likely use a 300 win or 7mm variant for range work anyways. I've definitely considered the 338 edge or edge +p, but I'm not sold on the idea when the lapua based cartridges are the same amount of prep for better performance. and then again there is the 30-378.

Does anyone have experience with the 30-378 or is it losing it's following?
30-378 just seems like it would be more of a pain in the ass than it's worth. Brass is pretty expensive compared to the options.

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
WRO,

Why would you say that it is a pain comparatively?

Factory brass and die options vs fire forming and custom dies.

They’re definitely proud of the brass but nowadays there are multiple options at least. Hornady makes a “cheaper” option but yes you’re still probably looking at 5 fires vs 9 with Lapua Brass for the 30-338 AI

I will most likely go the 30-338 AI and just order a second bolt. Brass has become so much more attainable in the past couple of years for it and the following has blown up so I’m sure it’s not gonna have any scarcity issues.

I appreciate everyone’s input.