Which Tire Chains?

Titan

WKR
If you properly fit your chains, the only extra links are on the outside...... But then pre-fitting chains are above a lot of folk pay grade.

I do pre-fit, but 99% of the time, I am putting chains on in less than ideal conditions. Leaving some extra links helps get them on, drive a little, then re -tighten. I would rather tie an extra link or two than fight them. Plus I can use them for a couple different vehicles with slightly different tire sizes.

I assume that you're speaking from experience when referencing the blue circular ones, so I'll take your advise and pick some of those up. What length are you running in the black ones, and how many per tire?

I usually run two per tire. Essentially grabbing every section in between each cross link. I have also had a couple break on me in extremely cold weather when installing. Grab a couple extra.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I use heavy duty cam lock chains on my personal Ford ranger and on the F150 I drive at work. I like V bars in the front and no v-bars in the back, because some maybe superstitious part of me feels like the rig handles better with more traction up front. I got my chains at Les Schwab, for better or for worse.

I use chains probably about 30-40 days a year because a big part of my winter work involves towing a snowmobile trailer into some gnarly places, and sometimes having to drive into gnarly places when the sleds are out for repair. No one ever taught me how to use chains so here are some things I picked up through a lot of trials by fire:

1) As others have said, buy some rubber tensioners to go on the outside of the wheels. You'll want a couple extra because they do tend to break in cold weather.

2) When mounting chains, get the inside (the side closest the vehicle) as tight as possible before attaching the outside.

3) Once you have attached your chains, drive a little then stop to re-tension them. You'll almost always be able to tighten them some more. And unless you do something silly like inflating a tire that already has chains on, there's really no way a chain can be on too tight.

4) Carry some zip ties to secure loose chain ends. If you have enough extra chain flopping around on the inside of your wheel well, it can act as a flail and damage brake lines and other important parts. A couple of zip ties are a simple insurance policy against this.

5) This is the most controversial suggestion so feel free to ignore it if you find it unsafe. You can use a floor jack to save time chaining up - if and only if you are on flat stable ground. I used to do this when I lived in Alaska and had drive the haul road, right before going up Atigun pass. You can lift a wheel with a floor jack, put a jack stand under the frame, then chain the elevated wheel perfectly and near effortlessly every time. But only if it's safe to do so. Otherwise, use the standard drape and drive over method.

6) An often overlooked deep snow driving tip - examine the trim on your truck. There is probably a plastic strip under your front end that improves aerodynamics. This is great until you end up in deep snow and this strip turns into a snow plow. If you anticipate being in deep snow, take the five minutes to unbolt it and you'll have a lot more clearance and improved handling.

Getting ready to order.

Buy for 1 axle or both? Same or different?

If it matters, truck is a silverado 2500 4wd with bfg at ta ko.

Looking at vbar chaina.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Titan

WKR
If you can, get both. When you need them...you need them.

BFG K0s are great, the sidewall width run slightly narrower than some other tires, giving a little more chain clearance.

Take a look around the front wheel wells and make sure you won't contact any suspension parts or brake lines. Then turn side to side and make sure you have plenty of room on your front bumper/air dam and the back part of the fender.

I am always hesitant to run v-bars up front due to clearance up there. Especially when articulating the axle and turning. Running different style is no problem.

The air dam could definitely be an issue. Previous owner ground some there. Might need to grind a little more.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited: