Who has the new 2019 Sitka Kelvin Hoody?

OP
O
Dude I’ve had two other puffies since that one. One a Rab Electron 800 fill down jacket and a Kifaru LPP. I gotta say, for the warmth and durability, definitely go with the LPP. It is lighter and just as warm if not warmer than the KH and way softer/quieter. That kangaroo pocket is $$$ for putting your hands into when it’s cold. Also, the kang pocket is insulated as well so it adds a double layer of insulation across your stomach. It’s bomber as well. From everything I’ve read, Apex Climashield (what the LPP uses) is superior to Primaloft Gold. They pack about the same even though the KH is bulkier because the LPP has the 500D nylon panels which are awesome by the way. Just some food for thought.

I actually spoke with Sitka customer service about this piece just a short while ago because I was interested in what had happened. They said that they decided to roll it back because they felt it was stuck in the middle between the kelvin light and the kelvin down WS and the sales therefore wouldn't fare as well as they had hoped. There must have been more people opting for those two pieces while the kelvin hoody fell awkwardly in the middle. Kind funny in my opinion, because that's actually the reason that I was interested in the piece in the first place.

I think I still may try to get my hands on one because I prefer synthetics and I don't care much for the aggressive taper on the sleeves of the kelvin light, even though it does help with string clearance and such. I am more looking for a burly type of piece purely for glassing and I feel the primaloft weight in the kelvin hoody is a fair improvement over the lite.

heatstroke18

Lil-Rokslider
I actually spoke with Sitka customer service about this piece just a short while ago because I was interested in what had happened. They said that they decided to roll it back because they felt it was stuck in the middle between the kelvin light and the kelvin down WS and the sales therefore wouldn't fare as well as they had hoped. There must have been more people opting for those two pieces while the kelvin hoody fell awkwardly in the middle. Kind funny in my opinion, because that's actually the reason that I was interested in the piece in the first place.

I think I still may try to get my hands on one because I prefer synthetics and I don't care much for the aggressive taper on the sleeves of the kelvin light, even though it does help with string clearance and such. I am more looking for a burly type of piece purely for glassing and I feel the primaloft weight in the kelvin hoody is a fair improvement over the lite.

keep an eye on camofire.com. they had it for 194$ The other day and would likely see it up there again

Pwells10

WKR
Hey guys, not to hijack a post or anything, but how do you guys like the kelvin WS hoody? I bought one last season and never came to a long glassing session during late deer season to use it.

I've heard nothing but good things about the WS hoody personally. Both from fellow hunters as well as online research. I haven't tried it personally.

I did manage to get the Kelvin Hoody today though. I will say that so far it appears to be what I hoped it would be. I also have the Kelvin lite hoody, so I was able to compare the two apples-to-apples as they are both sized large. The my kelvin lite weighs in at 17 oz. while the kelvin hoody weighed in at 23 oz. The kelvin hoody is a more generous fit. The interior fabric is more of a slick material like much of the outer fabric, which makes it easier to quickly throw on over whatever layers you are wearing at the time. The sleeves are more of a relaxed fit vs. the tighter fit of the lite. The cuffs are somewhat elastic and give more space for gloves and sleeves in your underneath layers. I would say that the kelvin hoody is slightly noisier than the lite, as the face fabric seems be constructed more similar to Sitka's WS lamenent pieces rather than the softer face fabric that you would find on the lite and/or kelvin active (which I also own). The kelvin hoody seems to have larger hand pockets and a larger chest pocket from what I can tell. This piece also has two mesh lined pockets on the interior of the jacket that I would probably use for drying out gloves and such. In my opinion, this piece is more a cut and dry glassing/stagnant piece that the kelvin lite is. Also, the hood on the kelvin hoody is larger/less contoured than the hood of the kelvin lite. This leads me to believe that it would be more ideal to keep wind of the users face. In contrast, the kelvin lite's hood is more form fitted and doesn't come forward enough to block the users peripheral vision. So some folks may prefer one vs. the other depending on scenario. The kelvin hoody is more consistent and less strategic in regard to the insulation layout, where as the kelvin lite is sort of body mapped with it's insulation placed intermittently around the garment as if it were designed to be used under some miled activity.

I think for my use I will turn more to this new kelvin hoody as a dedicated puffy considering how much easier it is to throw on over layers, the increased amount of primaloft, as well as the design of the larger pockets and the interior pockets being well thought out. I think the hood will also come in handy with crosswinds and such.

heatstroke18

Lil-Rokslider
Side question. Will either the kelvin lite, or the kelvin hoody layer under the jetstream jacket? Or are they meant to be worn over the jetstream

Side question. Will either the kelvin lite, or the kelvin hoody layer under the jetstream jacket? Or are they meant to be worn over the jetstream

I would say that a sized up Jetstream would fit over the kelvin lite. It would be pushing it a tad with the kelvin hoody I think. However, I think both could be done, but the larger kelvin hoody will definitely seem more restricting than the lite with a layer over the top purely because of the relaxed fit of the sleeves and the additional loft.

This brings up a good point I think. Perhaps the lite is more designed for the versatility to have something layered over top of it vs. the hoody being more outer layer designed. In my opinion, I would gear a jetstream jacket to be my outermost layer in a system.

heatstroke18

Lil-Rokslider
I would say that a sized up Jetstream would fit over the kelvin lite. It would be pushing it a tad with the kelvin hoody I think. However, I think both could be done, but the larger kelvin hoody will definitely seem more restricting than the lite with a layer over the top purely because of the relaxed fit of the sleeves and the additional loft.

This brings up a good point I think. Perhaps the lite is more designed for the versatility to have something layered over top of it vs. the hoody being more outer layer designed. In my opinion, I would gear a jetstream jacket to be my outermost layer in a system.

yea I am slowly putting one together myself and I have the jetstream as my outer layer. I think I could get a kelvin lite under it but that’s it. Mostly because of the “performance fit”.

yea I am slowly putting one together myself and I have the jetstream as my outer layer. I think I could get a kelvin lite under it but that’s it. Mostly because of the “performance fit”.

I think those pair well together. Good insulation piece layered under a good softshell with windstopper sounds like a good formula for a lot of scenarios.