Who's Moose Hunting Alaska 2020?

VernAK

WKR
It depends on the area and moose vs. predator populations, other food sources, etc.

A research paper was published in 2015 (link below) that I found pretty shocking. The study was called "Evaluation of Brown Bear Predation on Ungulate Calves in Southcentral Alaska Using Neck Mounted Cameras, GPS, and Stable Isotopes." The study area was the Nelchina basin.

In short, over a three year period this study found that brown bears kill on average about 1.25 moose and/or caribous calves per day in the month surrounding the typical calving season, or roughly an average of 34 calves each in that time period.

Consumption among the individual bears in the study varied as well with the low end being around 14 or 15 calves in the study period, and the high end being 46 or 47 if I remember correctly.

The study also found that it takes a brown bear about 60 minutes to consume a moose calf, 40 for a caribou calf and little evidence of the meal is left when they are done, which is why previous studies on the same topic grossly underestimated how many calves were getting munched.

Link to the Research Paper

I've watched some of that video and it's quite revealing. It's amazing how little time the bear spends hunting and how much time is spent resting.

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone heard of being able to “quarantine” while hunting in the field? We are getting flown out the day after we land and we’ll be there for 14 days. I have heard some rumblings that this may be acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe but you should ask your air taxi since you will be in a confined space with their pilot. Your hunt is important to them I'm sure but risking exposure and having to ground pilots and planes that are being counted on to fly folks that have followed the rules may over ride that importance.

Wolf-killer

Lil-Rokslider
How is everyone planning on handling pre-trip covid testing (if coming into AK from out of state)? Sounds like I wont be able to get tested before I leave without having symptoms so I think option 4 is probably my only route...
Im doing #5 quarantining in the bush for 14 days
I just don't see the point of getting tested before trip because you have to get tested again when your there for the 2nd time between 7-14 days, I can't get tested when I'm in the bush for 14days

mooster

WKR
hunting off the Yukon River. I just plan to research rapid COVID testing result places in prep. That's all I can control, no since worrying about what I can't control.

OP
Robinhood21
hunting off the Yukon River. I just plan to research rapid COVID testing result places in prep. That's all I can control, no since worrying about what I can't control.

That’s exactly how I feel. As long as I know i have all my ducks in a row... can’t control the rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like the options are changing for coming in from out of state.

Well, my moose season was officially cancelled today :(

We were told we could drive through Canada on the phone by Canadian customs and today while trying to cross we were turned around and in no uncertain terms told we would not be allowed to enter Canada for any reason. We had looked at other options for shipping gear and it wasn't feasible... glad I didn't buy tags.

Good luck to everyone else.

AKBorn

WKR
Well, my moose season was officially cancelled today :(

We were told we could drive through Canada on the phone by Canadian customs and today while trying to cross we were turned around and in no uncertain terms told we would not be allowed to enter Canada for any reason. We had looked at other options for shipping gear and it wasn't feasible... glad I didn't buy tags.

Good luck to everyone else.

Damn, sorry to hear this. Hope the ducks fall in line for you to try it again soon...