Why act like a stealth ninja?

Question for you bow hunters: Why do some bow hunters actively attempt to hide from other hunters? Is there a perceived tactical advantage if they don't know you are hunting the same area?

Background scenario: I was bivy hunting (muzzleloader) in the West Elk Mountains this week. There were several bulls in the area, and their activities and vocalizations were mostly nocturnal due to the nearly full moon. Monday evening I heard a bugle a couple hundred yards away. I still hunted in that direction, taking advantage of the wind. Ten minutes later a second bugle. I responded with a similar bugle. Another couple minutes, and I heard a third bugle, moving quickly towards me. I set up on high ground and waited. Two bowhunters came into view 75 yards away, saw my orange hat, and instantly beat feet in the other direction like high school freshman caught smoking under the bleachers.

We were in a remote basin 4 miles from a trailhead (3 miles on trail, 1 mile off trail). There was only one other truck at the trailhead, so limited hunting pressure. I was fully prepared to say "hello" to these hunters, find out where they intended to hunt the next day, and hunt in another quadrant. But they acted like stealth ninjas and ran. Wouldn't it be more productive for both parties to briefly meet and coordinate hunting plans? Is there something I'm not seeing?

Shrek

WKR
I agree 100% ! I like to meet and coordinate. Exchange info and learn. My old hunting club had the motto that you should you should worry about your fellow member having success as as you about your own success. When we lived up to that we all had fun but when jealousy and secrecy started the hate followed.

Probably just embarrassed they got called in.

I'm never a local so I always say hi. Helped a guy pack out a mule deer and he sent me to spot later that was unbelievable. Plus never hurts to know the guys in a basin if you or they get in a bind.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
During rifle season if I see a hunter a long ways away I usually steer away from them (esp. during prime hours) unless we are obviously both "hiking" and going to cross paths, I'm just trying to give each other space. If I happen in close to someone and its not prime hours I'll swing in since I'm already close and chat for a moment. We may/may not be hunting the same species so information can be shared accordingly and also its handy to chat broad scope plans so we can try and give each other some space.

When I've run into another hunter I've moved off exactly as described though I did wave before doing so. There are a couple non-nefarious reasons.

1. Time is limited, while I don't mind talking to other hunters if I'm out there, it's to hunt, not socialize.
2. My thoughts are to not disrupt or interrupt the other hunter, so exiting the turf I run into them on is a priority.

Last edited:

mfolch

WKR
x2

1. Time is limited, while I don't mind talking to other hunters if I'm out there, it's to hunt, not socialize.

Also, if I can tell where some guy is hunting--much less waving at me and chatting--I know exactly where there are no deer.

Last edited:

Jimbob

WKR
I had a guy walk up to my deer stand and just start having a loud conversation with me. I didn't want to be rude but every animal for 250 yds could hear him. I wish he just waved and turned around when he saw me. BUT he was a really nice guy and It was nice to meet another guy that was hunting the same smallish public land parcel.

Two guys came up the ridge behind me on Saturday, spooking everything within earshot. I let them catch me and exchanged brief plans.

The next two guys to do the same got a whistle with a waive and I proceeded uphill. I'm not out there for company.

Last year we had a similar scenario. "What are you guys doing?" They said. "Hunting this ridge." was our obvious answer.

I don't want to share my plans and I don't plan on changing my plans based on anyone else's. Unless I see them ahead of me and going into the area I planned to.

When I've run into another hunter I've moved off exactly as described though I did wave before doing so. There are a couple non-nefarious reasons.

2. My thoughts are to not disrupt or interrupt the other hunter, so exiting the turf I run into them on is a priority.

And...I'm bow hunting. I'm calculating where their scent is and has been blowing, as well as mine, and want to get out of the area and into another where the wind is to my advantage...without screwing up their hunt.

OP
CrzyTrekker
I don't want to share my plans and I don't plan on changing my plans based on anyone else's. Unless I see them ahead of me and going into the area I planned to.

I see your point and don't have any qualms with it, except you might run into the same hunters again tomorrow. For me, a 5-minute conversation and a little bit of coordination isn't a waste of time. At least these responses are somewhat informative regarding differing points of view.

Hungarydog

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not walking into someones setup unless acknowledged because I don't know what's going on. Maybe there's an animal coming in from the opposite direction or they have eyes on something and I don't want to blow it for them. I will back out the way I came.

I was still hunting last year and walked up within 75-100 yards on two guys set ups on two different days. Once a box blind and another a tree stand. I stopped and quietly backed out the way I came. Not antisocial I just don't want to blow another guys set up.

Murdy

WKR
Same here, my normal course if I come up on someone is to do a 180 and back off and find another way around, while there's certainly value to making contact with others hunting nearby, I only initiate contact if we both are obviously not hunting (like walking down a trail, for example)

i guess it depends on the situation. This weekend i ran into two guys several miles back in the timber, we talked for 10 mins and went our separate ways, we weren't calling just cruising hoping to cut a track or something, the unit im in is having an extremely rough year so far. But actually devised a plan to help each other out since the unit is has very little sign. We met back up at there camp that night and shared notes, albeit worthless notes. We even ended up camping together that night. There still hunting this week as they have muzzleloader tags and im at work, but we made friends and hopefully we will talk before the weekend to see if anything has changed which will be of great benefit to me. Granted this is a first for me. But im out there to hunt elk, and if i meet a friend along the way i see it as a win. If i were stacked up on elk i might look at it differently, but i guess i just try to pay it forward and keep focused.

I have found archery hunters to be super friendly and chatty. More often than not I'll back off just to save time. If the weather or other conditions are tough I'll engage them to bitch about the conditions and see if we can devise a plan that benefits both parties.

Redside

Lil-Rokslider
Typically I'm the wave and stay out of your way type person, I don't really want to talk plans and here's why. A couple years ago I spotted some elk on top of a hill early in the morning right before shooting light. I started making my way toward them and about 1/3 of the way up I see a man and his daughter sitting watching the meadows below, I didn't know they were there as I didn't see their tracks. So I waved and moved around them and continued on my way. But he waved me down and came over to talk to me. He asked me my plans and that he and his daughter were hunting deer and didn't want to get in my way. I said I was hunting elk and going to the top and decide from there what to do. He kept on pressuring me and asking for more detail. I finally said well there's some elk up there so I'm going after them. I took off and went towards the elk. I get to a point across from the elk looking for the bull I had spotted earlier and I see they are nervous and are looking directly down hill. Next thing I know they blow out of there. So I go to the top of the hill to try and figure out what happened and see the guy and his daughter had came up behind me below the elk and spooked them. I was not happy, and felt that was a pretty BS move. Wasn't illegal but felt he broke some unspoken rules. I will definitely not be giving any details the next time, a wave, smile and good luck is all you'll get from me.

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Did you try and get their attention and wave them over for a conversation?

To me it sounds like they were simply trying to be respectful of your hunt on the bull and back out without screwing you up. In a similar scenario and they walk right in and somehow spook a bull you're working, then this thread is about why are there so many a-holes out there.

Redside

Lil-Rokslider
Did you try and get their attention and wave them over for a conversation?

To me it sounds like they were simply trying to be respectful of your hunt on the bull and back out without screwing you up. In a similar scenario and they walk right in and somehow spook a bull you're working, then this thread is about why are there so many a-holes out there.

No I didn't try to start a conversation, my wave was more like, sorry didn't see you there and tried to get out of their way. They were sitting and glassing the meadows below and didn't know the elk were there above them. He said they were deer hunting, not elk hunting. If he wanted to back out they would have went down, not up. This all took place over 20-30 min. It's not like he sat there for 20-30 min and then came up. They came right in behind me. I was left assuming he or his daughter had an elk tag as well and their deer hunt turned into an elk hunt after our conversation.

Edit: Sorry you were probably referring to the OP's original post.

Last edited:

IdahoElk

WKR
If I see a hunter in an area that took a big effort to get to I like to chat,find out where they're going and head in the opposite direction with the understanding that we agree to hunt separate areas.
Only happened maybe 5x in 25yrs of hunting.

duchntr

WKR

This sums up what I do as well.