Why choose a tent without a floor?

Stid2677

WKR
I always keep my bag in a lightweight bivy with a bug net, that keeps my bag dry and any unwanted critters out.

As said you can have a fire.....

P8150158_zpsaux3ojj1.jpg

You can work capes and hides....

P8200287_zpsjdhdlg9h.jpg

Warm and dry,,, priceless...

P8200301_zpscda9jbgf.jpg

OP
scott85

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
I always keep my bag in a lightweight bivy with a bug net, that keeps my bag dry and any unwanted critters out.

As said you can have a fire.....

P8150158_zpsaux3ojj1.jpg

You can work capes and hides....

P8200287_zpsjdhdlg9h.jpg

Warm and dry,,, priceless...

P8200301_zpscda9jbgf.jpg

What shelter is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carlin59

WKR
Agree with all the positive attributes already stated. An additional benefit of floorless that I really like is quick takedowns in the morning. I'm sure there are bunch of variables depending on design/pole configuration/etc, but every floorless I have used tears down and packs up in half the time of floored shelters I have used. I almost never have camp up for more than a night, so short set-up/take-down times mean more minutes hunting every day.

PredatorX

WKR
I love my floor less for all of the above. But there is no way in hell I'd use a floor less if I was pitching where there are snakes.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
scott85

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
Ok ok, I'm convinced. Now help me choice the megatarp or the tut 4 man?

MBrown

FNG
My spike camp shelter that I'll be living in for 10 days on Kodiak starting early next month.
6f799d4e3adcb058b43d4aa1a5a3e53b.jpg

Just over a pound including stakes, guylines, and stuff sack. Bomber as hell in a storm to boot!

What stakes are you running with this setup Greg?

MBrown

FNG
Ok ok, I'm convinced. Now help me choice the megatarp or the tut 4 man?

Make sure and checkout what Seek Outside has before you make a purchase. I have one of their tipis and have been impressed with build/quality.

OP
scott85

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure and checkout what Seek Outside has before you make a purchase. I have one of their tipis and have been impressed with build/quality.

I do like the looks of the cimarron.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mlob1one

WKR
I have a Seek Outside LBO with 3pc vestibule and tarp. I really like the modularity of the tent system.

I also have the Kifaru sheep tarp.
Seek Outside makes good gear but the Kifaru material is a step up.

When considering a tut or the megatarp, I'm currently leaning to the megatarp fit my next shelter because of all the different configurations available depending on what I need and where I am. The tut requires a pretty consistent and large footprint that is not conducive to many of the scenarios I require ie. high alpine, very rugged/uneven terrain, etc.

It comes down to what you'll be using it for most of the time. You should also call Kifaru and discuss it with them. Frank & Aron have been super helpful to me when I've had questions.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

4-9" carbon fiber and 7 mini groundhog stakes.

Are you using Rota locura or MSRs? And how've they held up for you? Price falls into that range for good Christmas present from an in-law that I would hesitate to buy for myself.

I'm pleased with my BPWD Luna, but would not use it without a nest in bug infested areas if the temps will accommodate mosquitoes and black flies.

mlob1one

WKR
I have ruta locura carbon fiber pole and tent stakes for my lbo. I really like the pole and depending on the soil, the stakes can work well. If the weather is nasty with firm ground they will splinter with that lateral tension. I prefer to carry my msr mini groundhogs for 85% of my excursions because of terrain. Just my $.02

I also had a male insert on one of the poles fail. I contacted Ruta Locura (can't remember his name off the top of my head), I shipped him the failed section and he repaired and sent it to me for free. Definitely will buy again. 😆
Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

My spike camp shelter that I'll be living in for 10 days on Kodiak starting early next month.
6f799d4e3adcb058b43d4aa1a5a3e53b.jpg

Just over a pound including stakes, guylines, and stuff sack. Bomber as hell in a storm to boot!

Do you have pictures of this setup? Which shelter/tarp are you running?

My Cimarron is overkill during archery season, so I need something a little lighter for next year.

Do you have pictures of this setup? Which shelter/tarp are you running?

My Cimarron is overkill during archery season, so I need something a little lighter for next year.

It's a MLD cuben fiber Solomid, I'd show some pics, but can't seem to find any on my phone. For my base camp when I am solo, I use a HMG Ultamid 4, 85 ft.² and 6'3" tall and weighs 44 oz with everything, MSR Cyclone stakes, dedicated carbon fiber pole, etc.