Why do we buy soft shells?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sitka’s soft shells I believe all use Windstopper (the Jetstream and Evo do for sure- the Evo being body mapped, so not entirely Windstopper)

Macintosh

WKR
Schoeller is a hardshell. The fabric is like Goretex. I have a lot of it.
Schoeller is a brand, not a fabric. Dryskin extreme or dryskin are 2 different Schoeller woven softshell fabrics with no membrane. Wb400, wbformula, and newer laminates are membrane fabrics that are more waterproof, and some are waterproof. Schoeller literally invented modern softshell fabrics. Dryskin is their current version, they no longer make the more durable “extreme” version—its not cheap stuff and even the highest-end companies are no longer using the best fabrics, so you dont see this around much now. Thats the point Inwas trying to make. https://www.schoeller-textiles.com/en/textiles/outdoor

This also illustrates the problem with bashing “softshells” because the term is now truly meaningless—it means everything from woven nylon fabrics, all the way up through waterproof fabrics that hardly breathe, and thin fabrics all the way up through warrm almost insulated ones. Saying you hate softshells is about as specific as saying you hate food. It’s not all that useful until you specify an actual fabric, or at the very least a much, much more specific type of fabrics.

Last edited:

yfarm

WKR
Compare FL Catalyst vs the Corrugate. My sense of a softshell jacket is the Catalyst whereas the Corrugate is a shell garment which is soft. The lined softshells I have I rarely use vs the Corrugate and army level 4 shell go everywhere with me over fleece,puffy or tshirt. The Catalyst type fabric just doesnt work for me, seems to restrict my range of motion.

I use a soft shell vest like a Kuiu Guide or UA Infil ops with wind stopper. I’ll put it on over my mid layer or base depending on temp. Gives me a little more durability over the outside of whatever I’m wearing. Can put a puffy and hard shell over that if needed

Tiger260

FNG
WIND! When it’s cold in TX, it’s usually a blistering wind blowing it in. 40F isn’t cold by most standards on here, but when it goes from 80F+ and still to 30 mph 40F in an afternoon…it’s miserable. If you can’t stop the wind and keep it from reaching your skin, you might as well just be in a long sleeve t shirt. That’s why I wear one. Layer underneath as needed.

Mojave

WKR
Schoeller is a brand, not a fabric. Dryskin extreme or dryskin are 2 different Schoeller woven softshell fabrics with no membrane. Wb400, wbformula, and newer laminates are membrane fabrics that are more waterproof, and some are waterproof. Schoeller literally invented modern softshell fabrics. Dryskin is their current version, they no longer make the more durable “extreme” version—its not cheap stuff and even the highest-end companies are no longer using the best fabrics, so you dont see this around much now. Thats the point Inwas trying to make. https://www.schoeller-textiles.com/en/textiles/outdoor

This also illustrates the problem with bashing “softshells” because the term is now truly meaningless—it means everything from woven nylon fabrics, all the way up through waterproof fabrics that hardly breathe, and thin fabrics all the way up through warrm almost insulated ones. Saying you hate softshells is about as specific as saying you hate food. It’s not all that useful until you specify an actual fabric, or at the very least a much, much more specific type of fabrics.
Interesting.

I have a lot of hard-shell Schoeller fabric stuff that I bought in 2003-2010 range. It looks similar to what female hairdressers wear. Sheds water like a duck and is fairly windproof. Everybit hardshell.

Here in Germany there is a Marmot distrobution center near Ulm (if I am remembering that right). Marmot used to have a lot of Schoeller hardshell stuff for sale there. I got some of mine from there. I also have some Schoeller stuff that was a demo-military clothing that I got as part of an R&D. Also sheds water like a duck.

I knew that Schoeller was a textile company based in Switzerland, and I don't think I knew they made fabrics beyond that hairdresser waterproof breathable hardshell.

I am going on a big Alps spring break vacation next Saturday for a week. I'll see what I find down there.

For the Schoeller hardshell stuff I have had, it breaths well, stretches very well (really weird) and is comfortable. Not really warm, but it isn't insulated.

I use softshell vests all the time but soft shell jackets nope. Used the Kuiu Guide vest for many years, snagged the Axis Vest last year. Both are awesome.
Guide Jacket hasnt been on a hunting trip with me for years, limited use for hunting in my opinion, it only gets worn around town.

Agross

WKR
I use my catalyst stuff a lot. For me it just works great for a lot of stuff, from small game to deer hunting. One of my most used pieces, top and bottom, here in Michigan.

texag10

WKR
Soft shell for me makes sense if it’s cold enough to be wearing it the majority of the day.
This is exactly how I view it. SG DeHavilland due to the giant underarm vents, and never take it off until it's time to sleep. I use it most for 4th and late season hunts where it might not get above freezing, or late season pronghorn doe hunts with howling wind.