Why is Seek Outside giving gun control advocate Ryan Busse air time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtnman84

Lil-Rokslider
The owners of brcc aren’t going to crawfish on there core values when confronted

h2so4

WKR
I just listened to the podcast. It wasn't worth it. "you'll have to buy the book" to get the details on views, proposals. lol. yeah, no thanks. There was no meaningful exchange, debate or discussion. Kevin, in your post and on the podcast, there was discussion of nuance, etc. however, in both your posts and discussion, no nuance was discussed. just general chit chat. "You'll have to get to the book to find out".

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I was about to buy a tent from them…nevermind now. I’ll add them to the boycott list among nearly every other mainstream company. But hey, we get to give our support to small businesses when these guys show us their true colors

OP
B
Way back during the BLM riot days they did the whole “black picture” virtue signal thing that everyone was doing.

I remember replying that by doing so, and allowing themselves to get drug into the ugliness of politics, it only serves to divide us and hurt their brand.

Some lessons are learned the hard way I guess.

Probably because there beliefs out weigh the desire of income?
Just they way we vote with our dollar there voting with dollars lost.

And I can guarantee by disowning hunters they will double there profits from the granola crowd.

I'm sure plenty of animal lovers boycott seek because they hunt.

Seeing Kevin's twitters comments are certainly alienating to half his customer base. I guess he actually does agree with Busse.

Luckily, I haven't ever cared for SOs designs anyway.

J Batt

WKR
Not that it matters in the grand scheme... But I was literally just about to buy an 8man Tipi and stove from SO, after seeing this thread I will NOT buy from them.
It seems like individual liberty is being sucked up at the cylic rate these days. At least here's one small way I can STICK IT to people who fear other peoples freedom. Their fear is masked in the name of Public Safety.
Which is true I guess. I mean what would be safer than keeping every restless man in a padded cell? Where he couldn't harm or influence anyone or the environment. Peace at last?
Maybe I'm a sadist, but I prefer freedom even if its terrible.

ljalberta

WKR
I appreciate Kevin hopping on and providing a response here. Unfortunately, like others have mentioned, it seems like it simply does not coincide with anything that I’ve heard on the podcast or seen posted via Twitter.

I thought it was quite an inauthentic response in fact - as if the people on this site are unable to see how he’s trying to clearly re-characterize positions and statements that were consistently communicated prior. But that is just how I am reading it, and of course, forum posts aren’t the best form of communication.

I think seek has some great designs, but there’s other great designers out there. Kifaru, Peax, Argali, Lite Outdoors, and now SG with their Terminus packs are all making great products that replace the SO options.

OP
B
I appreciate Kevin hopping on and providing a response here. Unfortunately, like others have mentioned, it seems like it simply does not coincide with anything that I’ve heard on the podcast or seen posted via Twitter.

I thought it was quite an inauthentic response in fact - as if the people on this site are unable to see how he’s trying to clearly re-characterize positions and statements that were consistently communicated prior. But that is just how I am reading it, and of course, forum posts aren’t the best form of communication.

I think seek has some great designs, but there’s other great designers out there. Kifaru, Peax, Argali, Lite Outdoors, and now SG with their Terminus packs are all making great products that replace the SO options.
Yeah,

I would’ve much rather seen him own it, and acknowledge that those are his views, and that he should’ve kept his personal political views separate from SO, that he understands why people who disagree with him would be upset, and an assurance that he would keep his politics out of his business from this point forward.

I respect people who make a mistake and own it, and when you have a diverse customer base, injecting politics isn’t fair to your customers no matter where you land on the spectrum.

Had he done that, he might have kept me as a customer, even with our differences in opinion.

But I’m not sure anything was really learned by this based on his response.

fwafwow

WKR
I listened to the podcast.

I don’t think it was a two-sided discussion in that SO didn’t push much, but Busse also never answered the primary question they asked of him (~“what are you seeking?”). Busse said he’s against permitless carry (he wants training), bump stocks and short barrel shotgun equivalents. Beyond that he didn’t say much that was concrete.

I don’t think he said tanks and AR15s are the same - he mentioned tanks, Tommy Guns and nuclear warheads as obvious examples of the restrictions that can be placed on the 2A to try to clarify his point that since the 2A can have limits, he believes a reasonable restriction is to require some training to get a carry permit, but not that it should take years or require a law degree.

I do think some of the comments in this thread support one of his initial points, that there is a strong contingent within the 2A community that doesn't tolerate any questioning or discussion for fear it will lead to a 2A loss on a slippery slope.

I don’t buy SO so I don’t have a dog in that hunt. If I did, the deleted tweets may cause me more heartburn.

I’m going to read the book to see what he’s saying. If anyone is concerned about the 2A, this guy WILL get lots of eyes and ears by 2A opponents (“a former Kimber exec wrote this book!”), so it’s best to be safe informed IMHO.

Last edited:

Slugz

WKR
I’ve been following this whole thread, trying to make logical sense of it but those things he said on twitter just put me over the edge. Guess I’ll be looking elsewhere for a new stove this season.
Winnerwell :)

UncleBone

WKR
I think the best part of all of this, that doesnt usually happen when a company faces backlash, is that the owner himself gets to come here and read about all of the money he is going to be losing from each and every one of us. That has to sting a good bit, but so does his response.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
First rule of business, don’t involve politics. Especially someone working to harm your customer base. He aired on episode 63 of their podcast to talk about gun control in America.

For those of you not aware, Ryan Busse used to be an executive at Kimber but left the gun industry in protest, and now actively works with anti gun groups.

If you want to know just how “special” this guy is check out his twitter…

https://twitter.com/ryandbusse?s=21&t=x-nJq2t_pJagMrNbkCzt2Q

For the record I’m not calling for the “canceling” of SO. But I am disappointed seeing a company that I’ve spent a small fortune at, that markets to hunters, give a guy who is openly anti gun a platform with their name on it. That was their decision, not mine, and I feel like those of us who feel strongly about gun rights, which includes most of us, need to be aware when companies either actively or passively work against our rights.

ETA this is one of his latest tweets… Apparently American flags are offensive and intimidating. He needs laughed out of the hunting community.View attachment 518368
ETA2 I unfortunately had not yet had a chance to listen to the actual podcast when I posted this thread, but I knew who Busse was and what he stood for when I saw the podcast and put it out to rokslide as an FYI. I still haven’t had a chance yet today, but some folks have. According to them, they more or less as allowed him to push his views and the SO guys agreed with what he was peddling. That’s second hand, but give it a listen and judge for yourself. I’m ok with a healthy debate, but if they are going to give a guy like Busse a platform to spread his views unopposed I will take my business elsewhere.
Maybe aside from the flag being slightly tatter, there is nothing in flag etiquette that prohibits anyone from flying an American flag on any vehicle. As a matter of fact, when you decide to display the flag on your vehicle, go to, proper flag etiquette and there you will find the proper way to do so. first and foremost, no other flag can be flown higher than the American flag. As far as SO goes, they really show how little they care about the hunting community, as well as the 2nd. I have never purchased anything from them, nor will I. I have stopped doing business with other stores which have taken the, anti-gun, anti-hunter stance.

sndmn11

WKR

I don’t think it was a two-sided discussion in that SO didn’t push much, but Busse also never answered the primary question they asked of him (~“what are you seeking?”). Busse said he’s against permitless carry (he wants training), bump stocks and short barrel shotgun equivalents. Beyond that he didn’t say much that was concrete.

I don’t think he said tanks and AR15s are the same - he mentioned tanks, Tommy Guns and nuclear warheads as obvious examples of the restrictions that can be placed on the 2A to try to clarify his point that since the 2A can have limits, he believes a reasonable restriction is to require some training to get a carry permit, but not that it should take years or require a law degree.

I do think some of the comments in this thread support one of his initial points, that there is a strong contingent within the 2A community that doesn't tolerate any questioning or discussion for fear it will lead to a 2A loss on a slippery slope.

I don’t buy SO so I don’t have a dog in that hunt. If I did, the deleted tweets may cause me more heartburn.

I’m going to read the book to see what he’s saying. If anyone is concerned about the 2A, this guy WILL get lots of eyes and ears by 2A opponents (“a former Kimber exec wrote this book!”), so it’s best to be safe informed IMHO.

I haven't listened to it; I am not a podcast person.

It sounds like from your description it wasn't the hateful propaganda piece plotting the seizure of guns using hunter's dollars that this thread seems to portray. It kinda sounds like it was pretty boring (which is why I don't listen to podcasts).

I do miss the days when people could be actually talk to those who weren't in lock step with their own beliefs. Even better, could be friends with people who had different views about some things. I remember my parents, and myself the first few elections after I was 18, actually researching candidates and ballot issues to vote on the best for the people, rather than just filling all R or D boxes.

Ratbeetle

WKR

For those that haven't been paying attention.
NFA 1934
Omnibus 1968
GCA 1968
FOPA 1986
School zone act 1990
Brady act 1993
AWB 1994 (all legislation should have sunset clauses)
Safer communities act 2022
And countless state and local restrictions on magazine capacities, features, etc.

Gun owners in the this country have compromised more than enough. The anti 2a crowd takes and takes, they get what they want and then take more. People like Busse won't be happy until the only thing left are bolt action rifles and break action shotguns. I have zero interest in conversing with someone like him. His Twitter tells the tale.

It's not a slippery slope, it's a frozen waterfall and the only thing that has kept us from going over the precipice has been SCOTUS through Heller, McDonald and Bruen.

Yup, I'm done talking with wolves in sheep's clothes.

gabenzeke

WKR
For those that haven't been paying attention.
NFA 1934
Omnibus 1968
GCA 1968
FOPA 1986
School zone act 1990
Brady act 1993
AWB 1994 (all legislation should have sunset clauses)
Safer communities act 2022
And countless state and local restrictions on magazine capacities, features, etc.

Gun owners in the this country have compromised more than enough. The anti 2a crowd takes and takes, they get what they want and then take more. People like Busse won't be happy until the only thing left are bolt action rifles and break action shotguns. I have zero interest in conversing with someone like him. His Twitter tells the tale.

It's not a slippery slope, it's a frozen waterfall and the only thing that has kept us from going over the precipice has been SCOTUS through Heller, McDonald and Bruen.

Yup, I'm done talking with wolves in sheep's clothes.
It's not just that it's clearly a slippery slope. Look at the laws you specifically mentioned. Have they been effective? No. Do they make sense? No. That is why it would seem some if not most of us won't have the conversation. It's because the suggestions are ludicrous. Reading the news today or listening to our president talk about guns is a joke. Ar15s make bullets somehow more powerful. 9mm handguns blow lungs completely out of your body. ARs make bodies so unrecognizable they have to be identified via DNA. These are not well reasoned opinions. But they dominate the conversation amongst gun control proponents.

As for Busse, he hasn't parroted some of these things. But his suggestions do put unnecessary and ineffective burdens on lawful citizens. I'll engage when an idea worthy of conversation is put forth. Until then, Busse and his friends can pound sand.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Wrongside

WKR
People like Busse won't be happy until the only thing left are bolt action rifles and break action shotguns.
Please don’t kid yourself, that will not satisfy them. They will not be satisfied until there is no civilian firearms ownership. Look at what is happening in my country, Canada. (And many other former Commonwealth countries.) But for the 2A, you’d be in right about the same spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.