Wild Game Stock Experiment 2020

Trying out a few new things this year.

• Smoked the bones instead of roasting them
  • Sawed them into 3-5 inch lengths hoping for more marrow access
  • I added a bunch of trim with silver skin, left over from trimming my grind meat and other portions. Probably 2-3# that i would have normally tossed. i am hoping that ups the collagen content.
  • Going light on the seasoning and salt and plan to split the batch into two parts
  • Part one is stock that I will leave fairly plain for cooking. Thinking is this is a base and I can add flavor to the recipes
  • Part two is going to be bone broth and I will season that to taste so I can drink it as is

Last edited:

OXN939

WKR

• I added a bunch of trim with silver skin, left over from trimming my grind meat and other portions. Probably 2-3# that i would have normally tossed. i am hoping that ups the collagen content.
  • Going light on the seasoning and salt and plan to split the batch into two parts
  • Part one is stock that I will leave fairly plain for cooking. Thinking is this is a base and I can add flavor to the recipes
  • Part two is going to be bone broth and I will season that to taste so I can drink it as is

I've been thinking about switching it up like this, too. I've never done stock with any added seasonings, so that and smoking the bones are the first two items on my list. Now to find a cooperative late season doe hah

OP
Desk Jockey
I've been thinking about switching it up like this, too. I've never done stock with any added seasonings, so that and smoking the bones are the first two items on my list. Now to find a cooperative late season doe hah
I tested the smoked bones thing In the past. Used bones from butchering that still have some meat scraps on them. It gives them a Smokey and slightly acid flavor. Like adding liquid smoke to a recipe.

jek5224

FNG

I added trim/silver skin this year for the first time. Made a noticeable difference in terms of both color and collagen content. I'll be doing that going forward.

OP
Desk Jockey
Stock turned out well. 14 hours in the pot and cooled overnight. Removed the fat layer this AM. No way to measure but there appears to be a much higher collagen content. There is A layer in the pot that is almost like jello after staining through a colander. The bits and pieces of trim are very broken down. Meat is grey and crumbles. Connective tissue is very delicate. Just the right amount of smoke flavor. .

OP
Desk Jockey
Jarred and froze part of the stock. It set up like jello in the fridge but liquifies at serving temps. The extra silver skin scrap thing is going in my repertoire from now on. The stock is probably the best batch I have made to date.

as bone broth with a little salt and pepper it is awesome. Can’t wait to cook with it.

JoeVon

FNG
Jarred and froze part of the stock. It set up like jello in the fridge but liquifies at serving temps. The extra silver skin scrap thing is going in my repertoire from now on. The stock is probably the best batch I have made to date.

as bone broth with a little salt and pepper it is awesome. Can’t wait to cook with it.
That sounds delicious. How much stock does one critters bones make?

OP
Desk Jockey
I got 6 quarts from 1.5 whitetails worth of bones. It depends on how much liquid you use and how concentrated you want it.