Wind drift

CMF

WKR
Thoughts on this video?
I've seen many say the wind factor isn't good reason to switch to a 4mm, but based on this guy's calculations it looks like a worthwhile consideration if you take long shots in windy conditions.

1710915375201.png

big44a4

WKR
Thoughts on this video?
I've seen many say the wind factor isn't good reason to switch to a 4mm, but based on this guy's calculations it looks like a worthwhile consideration if you take long shots in windy conditions.

View attachment 689533

In my shooting experience very few archers (less than 1%) can shoot the wind drift difference in 5mm to 4mm.

1.87” at 60 yards is not a significant number when most people are not even shooting a 6” group at 60 yards per the old rule 1” per 10 yards.

The components are more durable for 5mm so I go that route anyways.

Bump79

WKR
Something doesn't jive here. My wind drift with a 450 grain micro arrow with nearly the same energy and vane yield nowhere near 10.38" of wind drift at 50 yards. Like half that.

My crude testing hasn't shown this high of wind drift. Setting myself deliberately perpendicular to high winds that exceed 10 mph many times, I've never experienced this much wind drift. It's more in the 3 inches at 50 with 450 grain .233 OD micro and maybe 4 inches with a V-Force with lower FOC. The groups overlap a lot actually - more than I expected.

I did similar but rougher math years ago and that's the reason I decided to go with the smallest micros I can - But having shot standard diameter shafts as I mentioned to test. I think his math is flawed as mine was.

I have experienced the largest (or smallest) wind drift effects from the size and type of BH's and vanes from my experience. The size of the shaft hasn't shown as much difference.
100% - Large broadheads and vanes make the biggest difference. If you're concerned about wind drift my conclusion is that if windy - get closer. Micro arrows aren't going to save ya. A mechanical or super small profile head will allow for less vane will make the biggest difference.

the video completely ignores the fact that the arrow shaft is spinning, which turns out to be a pretty important fact when you're talking about how fluids flow around a cylinder. That's why his numbers for drift don't match reality at all, and make the whole video basically worthless. he did a whole bunch of math to show that the projected area of a fatter shaft is larger, which we all can tell just by looking at it.

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
Imagine it’s 1989, there’s no internet. You drive to your local archery pro shop and grab a handful of XX75s and a bunch of Thunderhead 125s without giving it a second thought. What a time that must have been. I’m truly jealous of those of you who got to experience bowhunting without paralysis by analysis.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
Imagine it’s 1989, there’s no internet. You drive to your local archery pro shop and grab a handful of XX75s and a bunch of Thunderhead 125s without giving it a second thought. What a time that must have been. I’m truly jealous of those of you who got to experience bowhunting without paralysis by analysis.
I still do it. Been killing things with 360 grain carbon express with 75 grain rocket miniblasters for over 2 decades. It still works as well today as it did then. Around 300 fps. Slow by today's standards. People just need something to argue about on the internet. Put the hole through the animal in the right place and it will die. Most deer don't make it out of sight.

There is true merit in some of the arguments, but they are on the extreme ends of the spectrum. Very few people operate on the extreme ends of the spectrum.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Several years ago I was at a range that had strong winds crossing directly right to left, I'm guessing 20+mph. I stood protected from that wind next to my truck so I could easily hold on target. I aimed at the right edge of the 80 yard bales expecting that wind to push those arrows at least a couple feet. I was using 500gr .204" ID arrows, 30" long, with FP's and three 2" QS Speed Hunter vanes. I was shocked when I got to the bales and all three arrows were right at 2" inside the right edge.

Now I did that again later on with my 125gr Shuttle T BH's at the time, and they consistently hit 18" left of aim point. Shot a 125gr Grim Reaper and it hit with the FP's. That was the year I started carrying a couple mechanicals in my quiver after experiencing that. Shot a big bull that year in a little bit of wind right at timberline at 59 yards quartering away with the mechanical. Dead bull.

Whatever you shoot, just make sure you test your equipment in every kind of situation you can think of that you might experience while hunting.

I'm sure it makes a difference, but so far I haven't found components I like for 4mm so I stick with 5. The biggest thing I've found to buck wind for me is to make sure I have an FOC of around 15 percent. Seems to be far less effected in that range. Would probably do better at even higher percent but I don't like the pitfalls of extreme foc.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
Got to find some way to kill 12 hours of night shift boredom :ROFLMAO:

Beendare

WKR
I have experienced the largest (or smallest) wind drift effects from the size and type of BH's and vanes from my experience. The size of the shaft hasn't shown as much difference.
I would agree…more fletch is the #1 factor.

Those 4mm are a solution to a non existent problem, IMO.

Try a test group with a consistent full value wind then switch direction 180 degrees to have the same wind full value other direction for another group. It's there take it for what it is.

Goose10

FNG
Back in the Stone Age I was shooting 25” 2216’s with 3 5” vanes with a 6” overdraw.. No computer models or science involved but shooting in a high crosswind had the arrows hitting close to the mark and sometimes actually hitting upwind of the mark.
My conclusion based on the results I saw was that the arrow was being pushed more on the back which angled the arrow up into the wind. The vanes pointed upwind driving the arrow into the wind while the side force of the wind pushed it downwind. These two basically offset each other at longer distances like 50 yards.
With the smaller vanes popular today the results might be different.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
At my club I can shoot micro 166 then 204 then 246 arrows at the 80 yard target in higher winds they all hit In same place just a few inches in the direction of the wind so in my shooting the size of the arrow didn’t change anything with field points. I didn’t try it with broadheads as I’m not gonna take a long shot in windy conditions as the tree rocking me to sleep is worse then the wind…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
I do not know if this has been mentioned. The biggest problem shooting long distance in the wind is not 1MM of arrow diameter. The problem is you are holding the equivalent of a 4 to 5 pound 2x4 out extended with wheels and crap attached to it that catch the wind. It blows your bow around a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

last year at the Total Archey challenge I was shooting next to a guy with micro shafts I was shooting 6.5 bemans, on a 60 yard target I was having to aim 16" to the left he said he was only correcting about 6". straight cross wind was blowing about 20