Wolf problem is REAL

This is what I always wonder too, not saying they don’t do a hurting on numbers but I would think that if they ate down the prey species low enough the pack would have to move on and they prey species would rebound and they cycle would ebb and flow. On the record I’m not a biologist so not real sure if this thinking is accurate
This is something I have hoped to see in an area that I grew up hunting, but we are 15 years since the deer/elk/moose got hammered. Deer numbers are big again and we are just starting to see moose. Elk....just dont seem to be coming back to this area. An area where from what I have seen, the elk stayed mostly year round. Through all those years we would still see wolf sign every so often......but usually just singles or just a few at very most.........not the 10+ back in the early 2000s.

Reading these threads it is obvious, those that have actually seen areas seriously affected by wolves, and those who have seen a wolf track in the woods.

Thanks for your service Team4LongGun, I've never hunted Idaho so cant say anything firsthand. But definitely sounds like wolves add a whole new element to the equation. Keep pounding away in a new area next year and success will happen eventually.

IdahoElk

WKR
Actually at the time of introduction the majority (and probably still is) people were for the introduction of wolves.

WRONG!
Where do you live?

I live at ground zero for the Wolf reintroduction program(central Idaho) and a small minority of the people wanted this to happen, Wolves were forced on us by a Federal agency made up of people that live in Washington DC and knew little about what they were about to unleash on the west.

We already had indigenous Wolves prior to this in the area, who in the world though importing a non indigenous super Wolf from Canada was going to end well?
As usual the Liberals that forced this on us cared little about the science and just wanted to please their voter base.

Idaho F&G now spends a ridiculous amount of time and resources dealing with Wolves in my area that WE license holders have to fund, this time and money should be spent managing game species.
The ranchers(non hunters) in my area are constantly having to deal with Wolf depredation, F&G is who they call 1st and your license money is paying for it.

I read some other post here that if you really care about Elk numbers then get off your ass,buy a tag and go shoot one.
My response to that is the people who forced the Wolves on us to uphold the original introduction agreement and have Them fund and manage the Canadian wolf to the original population goals that to date have been far exceeded. They have walked away from the problem they created leaving us to deal with it, so typical.

Beendare

WKR
Anyone know of a trapping clinic for wolves?

Seems they arent that easy to catch.

ive talked at length with a BC outfitter that traps his concession. He has a system that works pretty good. He targets the alpha male and once they catch the alpha male the other wolves hang around not wanting to leave and additional snares catch those.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check with Justin Webb on Facebook in north Idaho he has done very well the one trapper I met this spring said the key thing on sets is scent control wear gloves and rubber boots and indeed if lucky to get the alpha others will stick around

ORfish

Lil-Rokslider
Run across the Imnaha pack in Northeast Oregon twice. Beautiful animals, and surprisingly big (well-fed). Did not run across Elk on those trips.

kiddogy

WKR
Actually at the time of introduction the majority (and probably still is) people were for the introduction of wolves.
just like the majority are for gun control. I call bullshat!
but hey keep telling a lie and it eventually becomes the truth right??

you don't work for fake news by chance ,do you???????????????

They are pretty damn hard to catch. We've had them play with our traps and had one get away sometime in the last 3 days, but it's a ton of trial and error until you get one. People who are successful aren't going to tell you what scents, or other key points to success or otherwise the wolves will smarten up.

There's a guy who's up to 11 since August but he eats sleeps and wolf hunts/traps.

Last edited:

87TT

WKR
They are pretty damn hard to catch. We've had them play with our traps and had one get away sometime in the last 3 days, but it's a ton of trial and error until you get one. People who are successful aren't going to tell you what scents, or other key points to success or otherwise the wolves will smarten up.

There's a guy who's up to 11 since August but he eats sleeps and wolf hunts/traps.

If I ever meet him, I'm going to buy him a drink.

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider
Spent 7 days in Idaho Lolo Zone 10. 4 Marines backpacked in 6.5 miles, covered a lot of ground each day.
Some of the most beautiful country I’ve ever seen. During the entire 7 days, the only animal seen by any of us was wolves. I had a wolf at 45 yards and 6 of his buddies at 170 yards. (No shot-heavy brush)
The amount of wolf sign was staggering and our group had multiple encounters. Zero sign of deer, elk and a handful of bear tracks.

I can’t fathom how at home I have deer, Fox, raccoons etc running around my yard daily and we never saw a single animal. Not even while driving.
I was well aware of the predation issues in lolo, and knew we were in for a tough hunt. What I never imagined was how there are ZERO other animals in the areas we hunted. To be fair on our last day we did find elk sign, and although there was bear sign near, this area had no wolf sign.
I had an outfitter out of Orofino tell me that the Clearwater drainage was completely sterilized of all deer, elk and moose. Only thing in that zone according to him was cougars, bears and wolves and that the wolves were starting to eat the bears. Thanks to those whose bright idea of re introducing an Alpha predator that was going to balance the ecosystem.

Outlaw99

WKR
Anyone in Idaho know who Jack Whitman is? If you don’t, you should. The man has more wood knowledge than anyone I know and has seen and done it all when it comes to k9’s.

blackdawg

WKR
Anyone in Idaho know who Jack Whitman is? If you don’t, you should. The man has more wood knowledge than anyone I know and has seen and done it all when it comes to k9’s.

I would like to see these people teach everyone how to get it done on wolves! If there ever was a skill set or gps waypoints to be shared it should be with all the other hunters this would be it! Wouldn’t take but a few good clinics for a man to earn more teaching how it’s done than actually doing it! There should be an app that lets everyone share the whereabouts of any wolves that are located!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Oh man...you drank the Koolaid.

So you like a decade of lawsuits?
Letting one species go totally unmanaged for many years at the expense of every other species?
Tens of thousands of wasted man hours at taxpayers expense?
Huge costs to states and wildlife depts?
A big drag on the economy?

Have you ever stopped to consider the massive wasted resources that went into 15 yrs of that reintro.....when the states economy and wildlife depts could have been cash positive if they let hunters keep the balance?

Even the Colorado expert analysis says-essentially - a wolf intro in CO is going to be very costly.

Must be nice to be oblivious to all of that^

I do believe you totally missed the sarcasm in his post and him making fun of that bullshit video about wolves being Yellowstone's great saviors.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"

ive talked at length with a BC outfitter that traps his concession. He has a system that works pretty good. He targets the alpha male and once they catch the alpha male the other wolves hang around not wanting to leave and additional snares catch those.
There's a trapping class coming up in Kamiah ID this coming weekend, taught by a former government trapper, info is on Idaho Trappers Association FB page.

sneaky

"DADDY"

He's up to 12 now if you're talking about Jason

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yep, he's THE man on wolves, literally wrote the book on how to trap them.