Woodsman/Reckoning Water Bladder

OP
wyodan

wyodan

WKR
If you were to cut/sew a port into the bag, where would you do it?

I'm facing the same dilemma. I contacted Kifaru and they said that the bladder between the bag and the frame makes no difference when carrying a load but that doesn't make sense given that the fabric of the pack is taught against the bladder and not against the frame. IN other words, the entire load is focused against the bladder and not evenly throughout the frame (via the fabric).

I would do it so the port would exit through the hole in the Hypalon sleeve, and have them put a tab loop just above or below the port. I've been debating having this done to mine, as although I am trying to get used to it between the bag and frame, it is hard to get out of there for filling. I don't think I would have the same problem if the straps were connected to the frame using buckles instead of K-clips. I've been thinking about using the cargo net instead of the straps with the Woodsman, and that would solve that problem.

Felix40

WKR
The new water bladder system looks like a pain to me. They should have at least made it possible to run it inside. I run an inline adapter to fill my bladder but I do occasionally remove the bladder from the pack. Id rather just pull it out the same way everything else comes out of the pack.

Last edited:

Mmomn

Lil-Rokslider
I received my Reckoning today. What works the best to hang your bladder from the loop? I tried a small caribiner but its a pain to get off and on. Also, whats the purpose of the velcro? Theres a loop on the velco but I'm not sure what thats for either?

mmccolloch

Lil-Rokslider
Pull the velcro apart from the main bag and put the water bladder between the velcro strap & the bag to keep it from shifting left or right. If you have to refill the bladder, you will have your pack off, which will give you easy access to the caribiner or whatever you are using to secure it. I honestly don't understand why people think this is such a terrible system. I run a platypus 3L bladder and do pack workouts with a 70lb sandbag in the pack to simulate a full game bag. I just cinch the pack down with the bladder and the sandbag and have had zero issues with leaking or crushing the bladder. To me, it seems way more convenient with the way the reckoning is designed then to have to unload the pack to fill your bladder. I would imagine that the 2 separate loops are for hanging different sized bladders.

Mmomn

Lil-Rokslider
I sewed a G-hook onto my bladder. It is much easier to remove than the caribiner I was using.

JPD350

WKR
Pull the velcro apart from the main bag and put the water bladder between the velcro strap & the bag to keep it from shifting left or right. If you have to refill the bladder, you will have your pack off, which will give you easy access to the caribiner or whatever you are using to secure it. I honestly don't understand why people think this is such a terrible system. I run a platypus 3L bladder and do pack workouts with a 70lb sandbag in the pack to simulate a full game bag. I just cinch the pack down with the bladder and the sandbag and have had zero issues with leaking or crushing the bladder. To me, it seems way more convenient with the way the reckoning is designed then to have to unload the pack to fill your bladder. I would imagine that the 2 separate loops are for hanging different sized bladders.

So which Platypus bag are you using? If I wanted to make the bladder between the pack set up work I would need to switch bladders which I really don't want to do but after packing the pack with gear for a week it makes the hose unusable without cutting a port or making it longer. I was looking at this Platypus 3 ltr bladder thinking it would be way different then my MSR bag which when hanging from the loop hangs so far down that the Velcro strap is only going around the top of the water bladder, efficiently doing nothing! also the cap and hose stick out towards the pack which looks like an accident waiting to happen. I tried loading the pack with the bladder both ways and I can say without a doubt the MSR bladder is better inside the pack, I can easily move and adjust the bladder according to how the gear goes in, bottom line is that I need to change bladders or cut a hose port, hopefully you get the jist of it being a pain, the whole object of the pack is versatility but when it comes to the bladder it has to be a particular kind, the pack should have been made to work either way so I don't have to buy more gear....LOL or make an alteration to the pack.
I would like to see a pic of your bladder strapped in if you don't mind, curious of how low the bladder hangs, also if you do have this bladder what are your thoughts on it?

Attachments

• Platypus 3 ltr.jpg
    Platypus 3 ltr.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 101

JPD350

WKR
If you were to cut/sew a port into the bag, where would you do it?

I'm facing the same dilemma. I contacted Kifaru and they said that the bladder between the bag and the frame makes no difference when carrying a load but that doesn't make sense given that the fabric of the pack is taught against the bladder and not against the frame. IN other words, the entire load is focused against the bladder and not evenly throughout the frame (via the fabric).

I think most of the load is hanging on the frame from the top and most of the pressure on the bladder is from stuffing and strapping the bag to the frame, my MSR cap and hose is the week link for me and not the bladder itself. I also don't like how the MSR bag is just like a big water balloon when hanging between the pack and frame, I like the concept of the new Platypus bags that have a seam in the middle of the bag to keep the water evenly distributed and the hose is compact and to the side, it looks like it was made for this pack.

If I have a port made it will be the same location the Timberline packs port is located, upper middle.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
For those that are struggling with the bladder hanging too far down due to the Velcro strap not providing enough support to stop the bladder slipping down, perhaps one of the decent sewers here can sew up a small sill nylon pouch that has opposing strips of Velcro on the OUTSIDE of the mouth of the pouch so that it effectively velcros into the gap between the Velcro on the strap and the Velcro on the bag, effectively making a removable (or easily addable ) bladder pouch that you just put onto the pack and creates a supporting bag for the bladder to sit in and support it.

just a thought...

Flashmo

FNG
JPD350, I have added pass through ports for hydration bags when old packs did not have them or I didn't like where they passed through. Just have any local person with a sewing machine sew a 1.5" button hole, and you are good to go (bite valve will pass through that size on my MSR rigs).

peddar01

FNG
on the reckoning...I have a kuiu bladder holder that I hung from the inside (chamber pocket loops) and ran the tube out the top under my guide lid. Fine when the pack isn't FULL. I also ran the kuiu bladder holder on the frame and didn't use the strap. Little bit of a hassle removing it this way. I then put the bladder in the pouch on the guide lid that holds the backpack straps, it works well enough, but if the lid was way up on top when the bag is FULL the hose might be an issue. haven't tried it that way yet. In one of the side pockets is another option i may try. I am tossing around the idea of next year just running two nalgene bottles, one on the belt and the other someplace else during the day and leaving the bladder at camp for camp water. I am even going to try pulling the pack off, running the guide lid, cargo net and some pockets for day hunt mode.

mmccolloch

Lil-Rokslider
So which Platypus bag are you using? If I wanted to make the bladder between the pack set up work I would need to switch bladders which I really don't want to do but after packing the pack with gear for a week it makes the hose unusable without cutting a port or making it longer. I was looking at this Platypus 3 ltr bladder thinking it would be way different then my MSR bag which when hanging from the loop hangs so far down that the Velcro strap is only going around the top of the water bladder, efficiently doing nothing! also the cap and hose stick out towards the pack which looks like an accident waiting to happen. I tried loading the pack with the bladder both ways and I can say without a doubt the MSR bladder is better inside the pack, I can easily move and adjust the bladder according to how the gear goes in, bottom line is that I need to change bladders or cut a hose port, hopefully you get the jist of it being a pain, the whole object of the pack is versatility but when it comes to the bladder it has to be a particular kind, the pack should have been made to work either way so I don't have to buy more gear....LOL or make an alteration to the pack.
I would like to see a pic of your bladder strapped in if you don't mind, curious of how low the bladder hangs, also if you do have this bladder what are your thoughts on it?

20170118_184350.jpg

20170118_184542.jpg

20170118_184633.jpg

20170118_184754.jpg

20170118_184932.jpg

The Platypus bag I'm using is similar to the one in your photo, but is an older model, it is kind of a pain to clean, but I've never had any issues with it. I've attached some photos of my setup. Like I said, this seems to work perfectly for me. I will admit, I haven't done testing with every bladder that is on the market, so maybe there are some out there that just flat out don't work. With your MSR bladder, I can definitely see your issue. As far as your velcro strap comment is concerned, if you have the top of your bladder clipped in, the velcro strap around the top 1/3rd of the bladder & then the other two compression straps that connect the bag to the frame snug, I'd have a hard time believing that you are going to run into any issues with anything shifting or sloshing around. Also, when it's clipped in, the bottom of my 3L bladder pretty much rests on the meat shelf when it is in the upper position, so that is another point of contact/support. If you run the hose from the bottom of the bladder, back up through the velcro that is holding the bladder, & then through the sewn in handle on the back of the bag, the hose is pretty well concealed. Then you can just clip it to your shoulder strap. I see your point that if you want to run the bladder in the bag, & you load the bag with enough gear to extend the lid up a little bit you will run out of hose, hence the need for a hose port. Putting in a hose port in the bag from the factory probably would've been a good idea just for this exact reason. I will say that for me, I would probably buy a different bladder before I started cutting holes in my $250 backpack. Just an FYI, Amazon has the bladder system I use for $13.44 Prime. Obviously, the intent of the design was to run the bladder between the bag & the frame & I think Kifaru did a great job (at least for how I plan on using the bag.) If you would rather cut your bag for a hose port & unload & reload your pack every time you need water, that is your personal preference, but it sure does sound like a lot more work than un-clipping a couple of straps.

Last edited:

Stickinit

FNG
I have the Woodsman, and use a Platypus 3L Hoser. I run it the same as mmccolloch, except with a Z clip. That keeps it a little tighter to the tab loop.

JPD350

WKR
Thanks for the pics mmccolloch

I am going to give the bladder between the pack and frame a shot, I bought the 3 ltr bladder I posted and it is much better then my MSR, it's just something to get use to.

mmccolloch

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the pics mmccolloch

I am going to give the bladder between the pack and frame a shot, I bought the 3 ltr bladder I posted and it is much better then my MSR, it's just something to get use to.

No Problem. Glad to help out with some photos where I can. I'll have to admit that when I first saw the velcro strap, I thought it was weird as well, But I think you'll probably grow to like it, especially if you don't have to unload your pack every time you need to fill the bladder. I hope it works out for you!

So after playing with options on my woodsman I am going with an inside the pack carry and cutting a port. I have a spotter pocket hanging from the chamber pocket loops and a source bladder for now.

I was thinking about contacting someone like jimmy tarps or others to make a low profile, light weight hanging carrier. Something like the jimmy tarps meat bag that is sized for a 3liter or 100 oz bladder, made of silnylon or something light and designed to clip into the chamber pocket loops. Maybe pair it up with a haplon patch precut to reinforce the port hole that could be sewed on locally.

Would anyone else be interested?

Shortdraw

FNG
$660 for pack and frame and you have to retrofit a sleeve for a bladder?? That's so awesome.

Hall256

WKR
I sewed a G-hook onto my bladder. It is much easier to remove than the caribiner I was using.

I am stealing this idea. I have been using the carabiner on my Reckoning to keep my bladder up, but I am going give this a try.

For those with an issue of the bladder on the outside, it is really not that bad. Unclipping two buckles and I have pretty easy access, and it has been easier then my military set up, where a pack is fully loaded and you cant get to your internal bladder.

mmccolloch

Lil-Rokslider
$660 for pack and frame and you have to retrofit a sleeve for a bladder?? That's so awesome.

Your comment does not add any value to this conversation. The pack DOES have a system in place for using a water bladder.... It's just a little different than what most people are used to, so therefore, apparently, it sucks.... Trying to please everybody is an impossible task. I applaud Kifaru for trying to innovate & create a viable solution to a problem that is also lightweight, functional, & easy to use in the field. If you don't like it, that's also completely fine, but that's why there are other options out there.