Woodsman/Reckoning Water Bladder

OP
wyodan

wyodan

WKR
Your comment does not add any value to this conversation. The pack DOES have a system in place for using a water bladder.... It's just a little different than what most people are used to, so therefore, apparently, it sucks.... Trying to please everybody is an impossible task. I applaud Kifaru for trying to innovate & create a viable solution to a problem that is also lightweight, functional, & easy to use in the field. If you don't like it, that's also completely fine, but that's why there are other options out there.

I agree. A lot of people put the bladder between the pack & frame on other brands. I am not used to it, & you can't have everything on every model. There has to be some give and take.

On the bladder issue, I don't think it'll be too bad on the Reckoning, but I don't have that one yet. You can unclip the sides on it to get it out. On the Woodsman though, I have been finding it a pain to weave it through the k-clipped straps. I am still going to give it a good try before I get it modded. People mod vehicles all the time to satisfy them, I'll do the same with my hunting equipment.

Shortdraw

FNG
Your comment does not add any value to this conversation. The pack DOES have a system in place for using a water bladder.... It's just a little different than what most people are used to, so therefore, apparently, it sucks.... Trying to please everybody is an impossible task. I applaud Kifaru for trying to innovate & create a viable solution to a problem that is also lightweight, functional, & easy to use in the field. If you don't like it, that's also completely fine, but that's why there are other options out there.

You are quite correct. My comment added nothing. I will obediently keep my mouth shut...despite owning around six Kifaru packs (i.e. I've spent enough coin to warrant at least an opinion) and spending a few years in this industry. Carry on.

KurtR

WKR
I just hook it to the loop put the Velcro around the bladder. I smashed it good with 70 pound sand bag. No problems and I filled the bladder as full as I could. Can't remember what kind it is I got it of Amazon. It is handy on the reckoning just in clip the side and do what you need and move on.

JPD350

WKR
I bought this pack because I wanted to change from my T-2 system, the funny or ironic thing was that I found myself not wanting to change the way I ran my water system, mostly because of the type of bladder I had, it just didn't work right in between the frame and bag. Since then I bought a new flat bladder that is more suitable for the application and that made all the difference, I am now on board and think I will be pretty happy with the setup.

The more I mess around with this pack the more I like it, this pack rocks!!

Attachments

• Platypus 3 ltr.jpg
    Platypus 3 ltr.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 106
So. I set up my reckoning this weekend (xmas gift to me). The bladder in between thing works much better with the buckles vs k clips. Still not sure I love it but I am going to try it and see if it grows on me.

R_burg

WKR
So, after reading the thread, is the general consensus that the bladders outside the bag is fine, its just not normal to most folks here? Or are there other complaints regarding functionality I am missing?

Thanks.

63split

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have Reckoning, but I use a Markhor with a recently acquired Kifaru hanging water bag. Works great and only weighs a few ounces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chasewild

WKR
Here's a pic of what I ended up having Dave and Native Textiles do for an internal water hang. Just a simple loop below the two k-clips that hold the small pocket and a detachable strap for the center of the bladder. I left the external velcro system for the water bladder just in case. Then he opened a hole on the right side for a port.
View attachment 46778
Dave is clearly very talented sewer and had several kifaru bags in his shop. Probably one of the nicest dudes I've met in a while. Highly recommend.

Attachments

• IMG_4269.jpg
    IMG_4269.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
OP
wyodan

wyodan

WKR
Here's a pic of what I ended up having Dave and Native Textiles do for an internal water hang. Just a simple loop below the two k-clips that hold the small pocket and a detachable strap for the center of the bladder. I left the external velcro system for the water bladder just in case. Then he opened a hole on the right side for a port.
View attachment 46778
Dave is clearly very talented sewer and had several kifaru bags in his shop. Probably one of the nicest dudes I've met in a while. Highly recommend.

Your pic isn't showing up for me.

JPD350

WKR
I just spent 3 days having the bladder between the frame/bag on my Reckoning and I have to say that I over reacted in the beginning, as long as you have the right kind of bladder there is no issue whatsoever.

rbljack

WKR
I don't have the reckoning, but saw on Kifaru facebook or instagram (cant remember which), they are working on a hydration bag that will clip onto the bag in place of the guide lid. It is a hydration pack basically, with straps attached, that can be used as a small backpack, or clipped into your main bag as a lid.

Not sure if that is useful or applicable, but figured Id mention that before guys get to modifying their bags more they necessary. After seeing it, I was also wondering if it could be run in the hydration pocket area of the reckoning. More to come on that one from Kifaru im sure. its still in the prototype/design phase I guess. Aron was getting our (customer) inputs on the design, which I thought was VERY cool. A company that actually takes into account what the customers may want?? Wow...there is a concept.

Ruskin

WKR
I just spent 3 days having the bladder between the frame/bag on my Reckoning and I have to say that I over reacted in the beginning, as long as you have the right kind of bladder there is no issue whatsoever.

What's the "right kind of bladder"?

I received my Reckoning today. What works the best to hang your bladder from the loop? I tried a small caribiner but its a pain to get off and on. Also, whats the purpose of the velcro? Theres a loop on the velco but I'm not sure what thats for either?
Where did you get that bladder tube "insulator"?

JPD350

WKR
What's the "right kind of bladder"?

It is the platypus 3 liter, I posted a pic of it a few posts back, IMO it is perfect for the reckoning, it being equally flat when full and the way the hose is designed is what I like about it but I am sure many others will work as well.

Last edited:

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 4 lt dromlite hanging by a small carabiner on my Reckoning. It looks OK, but I haven't filled it up yet. I am not sure what to think about the way the hose connects to the bladder and then is smashed up against the pack.

I know Kifaru no longer makes their hanging hydration bag.... but their XL ultralight pullout accomplish the same thing (just with a zipper, not as leak proof, and heavier).

I personally dislike packs with dedicated hydration sleeves.... The bladder always gets sandwiched between gear, and it makes it hard to remove, and fill up without shifting items around in your pack. I personally just lay the bladder inside the pack, right below the lid, and as close to my back as possible.

Would a bladder fit/work if it was placed in one of the built in side pockets and squirt the tube out the drain hole??