Would you recommend a Colorado drop camp?

Dschwan

WKR
Has anyone done a drop camp this year in Colorado? Would you do it again or would you do anything different? Was it an OTC unit or draw?
Thanks

I did a drop camp this year in CO in a OTC unit. Will not share unit or outfitter as I plan to go back every year.

What I would do differently:

I would not go with people who have no elk or western hunting experience.
Get an OnX chip for my GPS.
Take more butt wipes.
Take spotting scope and tripod.

I have done one drop camp in SW Colorado and would do it again. Wasn't this year but it was OTC area.

Couple of things that I learned-

The outfitter uses the same location for his camps every year and people know where the camps are set up year around and take advantage of them even when in use by paying customers. True story!!
Came back from day hunt and had a guy in our camp with a fire going and ready to stay for the night with us. Made for rest of trip interesting never knowing what we were going to come back to each night for sure.

Have good idea of the area that your set up in as Doc mentioned above "OnX chip", and its all on you to make the hunt what you want. No guide to wake you up and have breakfast waiting.

If they are using horses to pack you in, life is much easier if you kill your elk in the morning of the day they are packing you back out. Ha Ha. This was pure luck but man those horses can pack out an elk alot faster than me.

Have done one drop camp in colorado OTC. It was last year (COVID). We went in on horse about 3 hours. Camp was great. We saw two elk and about 5-6 groups of hunters that hiked in. If there would have been elk we would had a chance. Someone set up a camp about 300 yrds away from our outfitter camp. Can't control any of that (thats public land hunting). Not sure I would go there again but would consider another drop camp somewhere else. Gets you to different country. You are just pretty much set on where the wall tents are set up unless you want to spike out and hunt. Have also done a drop camp on a unit that took 3 points to draw. We did not see anyone else there but also not very many elk.
Good Luck

AG8

Lil-Rokslider
True story!!
Came back from day hunt and had a guy in our camp with a fire going and ready to stay for the night with us. Made for rest of trip interesting never knowing what we were going to come back to each night
That’s interesting. So did the guy leave? Or how did you handle the situation?

Our hunt group of 4 all had the conversation with him on not being so welcome so he set up his own camp close to us that night and we didnt see him again. We would not of pushed him out into the darkness and risked his safety but glad he chose on his own to sleep a few yards away that night.

Reactions: AG8

11boo

WKR
Our hunt group of 4 all had the conversation with him on not being so welcome so he set up his own camp close to us that night and we didnt see him again. We would not of pushed him out into the darkness and risked his safety but glad he chose on his own to sleep a few yards away that night.
We had some solo guy want to camp right next to us this year. Lots of great empty sites around, and he said something about “security in numbers”. Sent him packing. I think some are genuinely afraid of being alone.

Not trying to hijack the thread…hopefully this helps with the OPs thought process…

What happens if you get to this drop camp and can’t locate elk or locate vocal elk or the area is overrun with hunters? Are you not kind of stuck there, whereas in other scenarios you could just relocate?

Has anyone done a drop camp this year in Colorado? Would you do it again or would you do anything different? Was it an OTC unit or draw?
Thanks
I've done drop camp, hotel and rented a house. Honestly, the home rental was the best. A/C, hot showers, TV, kitchen, deer in the backyard eating the lawn and I was 1.2 miles from my trailhead. Slept real nice in that big bed and woke feeling rested and ready to go. Would push the button on the coffee-maker, grab a hot shower, eat a little breakfast and would be out the door in 45 minutes. There was no downside.

cnelk

WKR
Never done a drop camp. Probably never will.

Here’s what I would recommend.

Take the money you’d give the outfitter and buy good gear. Start hunting your own spots. Be mobile until you settle on a good area.

When and if you get into areas that you’d like to get packed into, line that up with an outfitter.

Or have a outfitter lined up to pack out your meat.

I know a few guys that hVe done this.

sasquatch

WKR
I've done drop camp, hotel and rented a house. Honestly, the home rental was the best. A/C, hot showers, TV, kitchen, deer in the backyard eating the lawn and I was 1.2 miles from my trailhead. Slept real nice in that big bed and woke feeling rested and ready to go. Would push the button on the coffee-maker, grab a hot shower, eat a little breakfast and would be out the door in 45 minutes. There was no downside.

How was the hunt though? Kill? Get close?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It was 2019 and the drought and fires made for very difficult hunting. Even rented horses to get up high but no bueno. Was a tough hunt, much moreso than normal...heard a crap ton of Hoochie Mamas. Had one shot opportunity but the little guy was pathetic looking, never drew.

OP
D

Dschwan

WKR
Thanks for everyone's responses. I think I have ruled the drop camp out. Been solo hunting in Colorado for the last six seasons and want to get a better chance for gaining some good experiences/encounnters other that bow hiking. This past season I moved around more than I ever have and didnt dedicate myself to one spot. My hunting area for the past few years was over run with hunters this year so I need to look at a different path moving forward. My gear is all top of the line that has been acquired over the years so I cant use that as an excuse. If Im being 100% honest with myself I don"t think I know what the hell I am doing out there and need to dedicate more time scouting and hiking random areas. Also, preparing a packer is great advice to allow me to get into other areas. Thanks again

Mikido

WKR
Are most drop camps a 2 person minimum for archery? I’ve only seen this online.

Are most drop camps a 2 person minimum for archery? I’ve only seen this online.
For the first time probably. Once your outfitter has completed a successful trip with you and knows you are not a jack wagon, he will probably be willing to bring you in solo next time. He will prob want you to send him an inreach message each day to check in

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend drop camps. But that depends on you as a hunter, and what outfitter you choose. Everyone is so quick to rag on outfitters here. Half of our hunters came out early this year, sheep, goat, elk, and mule deer guys. I could spot all of those species from a horse on main trails. The mountains crushed them. And I do mean crushed them. Either you’re prepared or your not. I’ve been finding elk anywhere from 6,000-12,000 feet elevation over the past month. Hunting comes down to how much you can overcome and how bad you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick1

WKR
It was 2019 and the drought and fires made for very difficult hunting. Even rented horses to get up high but no bueno. Was a tough hunt, much moreso than normal...heard a crap ton of Hoochie Mamas. Had one shot opportunity but the little guy was pathetic looking, never drew.
“There was no downside.”

Uhhhh, it sounds like there was a downside.

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
I did a drop camp this year in CO in a OTC unit. Will not share unit or outfitter as I plan to go back every year.

What I would do differently:

I would not go with people who have no elk or western hunting experience.
Get an OnX chip for my GPS.
Take more butt wipes.
Take spotting scope and tripod.
Do you mind saying what that drop camp costed? I've often thought about doing a drop camp.