Would you take a game warden’s advice on where to hunt?

milljaco

FNG
Definitely! Got information from a biologist for a moose hunt and he put us on two really great bulls ended up shooting one of them. He also mentioned somewhere in the unit there was a 50+ inch bull. Ran into it on the way out two hours after we tagged out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found that if you've already done your homework and are asking their opinion on spots you're thinking about hunting, they start to provide more info. And the longer you talk, the more details seem to spill out.

We had a deer hunt a couple years ago and I called the GW a few weeks prior and mentioned my plans. He said something along the lines of, "that could work, there are deer in there, but it's thick and hard to find them." I mentioned a few other places in the unit I was considering and he ended up telling me, "when I hunt that unit..." and provided his exact method. We started in the area that was too thick and was a bust. We decided to move to the area he mentioned and found the deer. Unfortunately, we had burned over half of the 5-day season by the time we started seeing deer.

So now, if the GW or biologist gives me very detailed info, I trust it.

swampokie

WKR
I say usually not because me and my hunting partners all call the same guy and ask the same general questions and usually the answers are all the same. It’s very hard to get even the least info on terrain current weather or summer rainfall even. This isNt true across the board but generally when I call a bio or warden out west I get a lota vague bs and the sense that dinners on the table. Haven’t had good experiences with those calls to western wildlife officials at least. Oh and I’m one of those guys that receives those calls and questions where the 170” bucks are and is there a road that can be driven to winch him up onto the ohv. I try to remember each time I get call from a hunter asking about things I’m paid to be knowledgeable about to be courteous and as helpful as they deserve me to be from the line of questions they present. So no don’t listen to a thing we tell ya. Forums have helped me 100 times more than any wildlife official ever will

My firsy antelope hunt too Wyoming the local game warden for the area I drew was very helpful when I spoke too him on the phone, Lots of info. which lead too a sucessful hunt, decent fellow and I assume very patient as I had a million questions,

CWM Bhntr

FNG
They are very helpful. I've been talking with one and he recommended a SWA area where I hunt to gain access and shared a bunch of info. They have nothing to gain by not being trustworthy. Reputation based.

I would, I have a buddy who got a awesome Ram from where the warden seen them, other wise he would have not shot such an amazing sheep.

Yes, I actually had an ID warden check me while hunting about 5 miles from any road, they were also hunting the same 2 drainage as us. We were on foot, wardens were on motorcycle, I killed a bull the next day and they offered to pack a load out on bikes if I had it to the ridge when they came through. Great guys.

Last year in iowa a warden was parked in the gate hole I was parking in, he told me he'd been watching some guys truck chasing deer and trying to trespass on some private land I had permission on. He also informed us of where he'd seen a 190 class buck. I had close encounters the next few days with that buck I never knew w a s there until he told me. For the most part I believe if you're playing by the rules they're more than willing to help.

I think if you ask a warden or land manager about a unit and you have done a lot of homework you will get a better response. They aren't going to just tell you if you call and say i have no clue and have never been there.

RBIA Rich

FNG
Wardens have access to information we don't! Including a hunters previous license info, as soon as you give your name they could have typed into their computer and checking you out as your conversation continues. In short the Wardens, "if they are doing their job," as previously stated they will lead you in the right direction.

Grant K

FNG
Generally yes, if I have an in-person conversation and they mention a place I'll check it out, I've had better luck if I've had a long conversation and they understand my experience they tend to give better info than after a quick chat...
I had a funny one a couple of years ago, in a new area and had a warden check me just as I set up camp, we talked for a long time and I didn't ask about spots but did ask if locals used a certain tactic in the low ground, he said no, nobody does that because it's too low odds... about 4 days later I wanted to do something different for a day and decided to try it regardless of his advice, I picked what I thought would be the best spot and hiked in way early, sure enough, a single headlamp shows up just after me, turns out it was the same warden hunting for himself.. we both laughed about it and he said I was the first person who had asked about that approach and it got him thinking he should try it...

Sometimes.... I did have a game warden last fall tell me where to find elk and he was absolutely correct. I was hunting a trophy unit (CO 61) with a cow tag in my pocket though.

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
I will take it , what's the alternative?
it all depends on how the conversation goes. I found that being respectful and clear in what I want brings me great results. even though he/she sometimes directs me towards a good location but not the best

Talked to one in AZ after a long week of striking out and was on elk 45 minutes later, stayed on em another week. GWs are great people IMO.

Laramie

WKR
I know a guy who shot a bull two days ago- he found the bull by following a game wardens instruction from the evening before.

Pathfinder27

Lil-Rokslider
I found that taxidermists are typically the most helpful on telling you where good spots are because they are hoping to get your business. My buddy's daughter drew a youth elk tag here in Arizona this year. They made the trip down from Wyoming and the game wardens were very helpful in putting them on elk with specific areas within their unit.

Doesn’t hurt to ask but I wouldn’t necessarily bet the farm on it (cold calling).

I do know, or have friends that know, biologists and game wardens here in AZ. No issues reaching out to them for more info. Also know several BP agents and I hit them up when hunting some locations near the border.

11boo

WKR
drew cow tags several years ago for a pretty heavily hunted unit we know well. The elk would bunch up in the open fields once enough snow piled up on the surrounding mountains, and that was exactly what happened. We decided to try a state wildlife area nearby, all open high prairie.

Got there an hour before sunrise and there were elk tracks all over the parking area just a few hours old. Sure enough a CPW truck pulls in, so we got out and chatted. He told us exactly when legal shooting light would be, and there were
elk all over the property. Sure enough, once there was some light the herds were easy to spot about 1500 yards out. CPW guy said what we knew, if we tried to walk in the open we would just push the herd to private, but there is an old irrigation ditch nearby that would get us to within shooting range, and pointed it out on his OnX. Off we went in knee deep snow, the ditch thing worked and we punched two tags easily.

But wait, there’s more! I went back to the parking area to get the plastic sled to pull the quarters back. CPW was still there and had been watching. He was going to check our kills and get DNA samples from them. Of course he wasn’t going to walk all that way, so he opens the gate to drive out. I said can I follow in my truck? Guy even helped load the one whole cow, the other was quartered.

Easy elk pics.

B4FF772A-0B9E-46AA-9115-7FF437492D7A.jpeg