Wrestling a Grizz to the death

In all seriousness, I don't know how fast a grizzly bear is never been around them. But couple weeks ago I had a very close encounter with a black bear I'm talking less then 3 feet charge out of a hole/den. I imagine a grizzly is alot faster,Be very cautious of your surroundings at all time in grizzly territory and I would definitely practice with the handgun you plan to take a lot.
They fast! I shoot the chit out of my gun too. But it wont be fast enough im afraid.

I would throw up a triangle choke and pull the pistol out of the chest holster and give the bear two to the heart and one in the head. If you can pull rubber guard you always have your back up pistol on your ankle

So , I have a question. If we encounter a Grizz on our elk hunt next month, what is the best strategy. I will have my chest rig handgun of course. But , from what ive heard, i will be lucky to get one or two shots off before the bear gets on top of me. I know a little jitz from watching UFC for many years. Should I try a triangle choke? Maybe keep in my guard for a minute until I can get my knife out and stab im in the gizzard? How about just carrying a bigger knife and charge the bear like brad pitt at the end of Legends of The Fall? You think it would just run off from the shock of me charging it? Or would it just be better to spray myself with bear spray and hope it doesnt like the taste of it on my body? This is a serious inquiry. I want to be prepared.
You forget the quote after that scene in Legends of the Fall...."It was a good death".

Seriously tho, you'll be lucky to touch the gun let alone clear the holster, aim and get an accurate shot off in the event of an attack. Carry spray and practice how to use it QUICKLY. Be cognizant at all times, be careful about how you keep your camp and when you are cleaning (if you get one) an animal and returning to the carcass. A gun for some reason gives people an unrealistic impression of safety. The only time I would want a pistol over spray is in a predatory attack, which are ridiculously rare.

I personally strap cans of bear spray to every appendage and a few on the front and back of the torso.

In the event of an attack immediately turtle up and protect the head. Every bite he takes out of me will come with an explosion of bear spray directly to the face.

I walk away with a couple cool scars and the story of a lifetime. Foolproof!

I’ve seen enough Winnie the Pooh episodes to know that a bear will be significantly slowed down if he gets his head stuck in a honey pot. Thus, I always carry a honey pot with me in grizzle bear country. If I get charged, all I have to do is line up the honey pot with his head and I’m good to go. No handgun, bear spray, or wrasslin’ moves needed. Plus if I get a rumbly in my tumbly, just reach in and get myself a handful of honey. It’s literally the perfect plan.

Own 'em
putin-bear.gif

Seriously tho, you'll be lucky to touch the gun let alone clear the holster, aim and get an accurate shot off in the event of an attack. Carry spray and practice how to use it QUICKLY.

How does that work? Will not be quick enough to draw, aim, shoot with a gun ; but will with spray? While stying upwind so I don’t get blow back in my own face?

The rest of the advice makes sense - clean camp, aware of surroundings, extreme caution around carcass and kill site.

Avoid the bear and keep distance is best

How does that work? Will not be quick enough to draw, aim, shoot with a gun ; but will with spray? While stying upwind so I don’t get blow back in my own face?

The rest of the advice makes sense - clean camp, aware of surroundings, extreme caution around carcass and kill site.

Avoid the bear and keep distance is best
You don't even need to draw spray in order for it to be affective. As long as it is in an accessible location, you can spray it from a holster on a waistbelt or chest strap. The couple times I have been in close encounters I have been able to draw spray (never deployed). I'm not sure I would have been clearing leather with a handgun.

You don't even need to draw spray in order for it to be affective. As long as it is in an accessible location, you can spray it from a holster on a waistbelt or chest strap. The couple times I have been in close encounters I have been able to draw spray (never deployed). I'm not sure I would have been clearing leather with a handgun.
Yes You can easily leave the bear spray in the holster and pepper the bears next meal.

Back