Wyo 2024 Elk Regions and Quotas

Hey all. This map and chart from the first round of the Regional discussion is probably helpful for you guys wanting to know how they came up with the numbers.

A piece that's being accounted for in the increase of licenses given is that there is somewhat of a significant amount each year of people who just don't make it out for their hunt for some reason or another even though they were issued a tag.

Attachments

• 31D1C3A5-80B1-40B6-B34C-9D4F1CFCABC2.JPG
    31D1C3A5-80B1-40B6-B34C-9D4F1CFCABC2.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 133

Laramie

WKR
^^^ Probably Hunter Surveys
Hunter surveys are not a reliable tool imo. I haven't received a survey for the last 2 general tags I drew. They don't send them to everyone and they have no way to know that what they do receive is reliable.

I do think they made an attempt to follow past hunter trends but they also are trying to steer hunters in the direction they need management help.

I predict the biggest point creep jump happens in the south region while the outfitters in the east region will have a bumper crop of successful applicants. I honestly don't think the west region will change that much other than the effects of higher prices special tags.

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
As a NR, I don't see this as a bad thing. It just forces me to stay in a region. Which, I would never have considered starting my hunt South of Casper, and then later in the week moving to west of Sheridan. I typically just hunt one unit anyway.
This change may actually make planning a little easier in the future bc I'll know where the crowds are going. Assuming they publish where the general tags are going.

HOT ROD

WKR
Hey all. This map and chart from the first round of the Regional discussion is probably helpful for you guys wanting to know how they came up with the numbers.

A piece that's being accounted for in the increase of licenses given is that there is somewhat of a significant amount each year of people who just don't make it out for their hunt for some reason or another even though they were issued a tag.
How does WG&F no if a NR did not come to Wyoming to hunt with out mandatory reporting and they didnt try to return a tag? The only thing these regional areas are going to do is allow WG&F to keep upping the regional tag numbers...

How does WG&F no if a NR did not come to Wyoming to hunt with out mandatory reporting and they didnt try to return a tag? The only thing these regional areas are going to do is allow WG&F to keep upping the regional tag numbers...
I mean, your last point is the point of the regional system, yep. Because they were increasing Limited Quota tags and that was pulling from the General pool, though there are increasing numbers of elk, especially on the east side. So the regions allowed for the removal of the 7250 total full price cap.

HOT ROD

WKR
I must of made a mistake because I thought U meant WG&F knows how many NR draw tags but never participate and by going to regional tags still wont allow WG&F know how many NR or Residents use there tags... The only thing the regional area do is let WG&F do away with the 7250 cap on the tags witch is not necessarily a good thing either...

NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
Maybe someone can answer this for me I've been looking on Wyoming website for info and can't find it or I've looked over it. When applying for the whatever region and you get drawn can you now hunt all the units in that region? Also is choosing a region a general tag ?

Maybe someone can answer this for me I've been looking on Wyoming website for info and can't find it or I've looked over it. When applying for the whatever region and you get drawn can you now hunt all the units in that region? Also is choosing a region a general tag ?
If you drew an elk NR regional general tag, you would be able to hunt any unit within your region that has a general season. Similar to the way the deer regions work for non-resident. For example, you would be able to hunt units 2, 3, 6, 129, 116, and 126, but not in 1, 7, 16, 19, 122, 113, 117, or 123 (because these units do not have a general season).

NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
If you drew an elk NR regional general tag, you would be able to hunt any unit within your region that has a general season. Similar to the way the deer regions work for non-resident. For example, you would be able to hunt units 2, 3, 6, 129, 116, and 126, but not in 1, 7, 16, 19, 122, 113, 117, or 123 (because these units do not have a general season).
Thank you, I was trying to figure it out this morning before applying. I choose the region I wanted but there was no hunt type to be selected under it so I didn't know how it would work.

A local Wyoming guy who took me in the back country back in ‘18 just told me to find a different place to hunt for a while. Said the weather and management isn’t helping the deer and elk. Hate to hear this being a Wa resident, not much to look forward to here.

Baddog

WKR
For those of you with a good understanding of Wyoming how many points do you think it'll take to draw in region S?

Laramie

WKR
For those of you with a good understanding of Wyoming how many points do you think it'll take to draw in region S?
My best guess is >6 regular and 3 special. That truly is a guess though as there is no way to predict accurately.