Wyoming Corner Hopping

6.5x284

WKR
In other news, in Montana a hunter was charged for corner crossing—the county attorney turned the case over to the state's AG for prosecution. A trial date was set for this past December, the AG's office dismissed the case just before trial.

The hunter had saved his track(s) in his gps, pretty good idea if one is going to do it.
Hadn't heard about this one. I'll have to go dig it up and look into it. Thanks for sharing. Have been waiting for someone in MT to try lol.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are plenty of crazies with nothing to lose and looking for a fight.

Yeah Wyoming certainly doesn't corner the market on crazy folks—they're everywhere and out and about well beyond the confines of hunting season.

Just a good reason to be armed wherever we go; fortunately hunting season usually has that covered.

Kurts86

WKR
My biggest concern with corner crossing would be the headache and wasted time caused by overzealous ranch hands/guides/outfitters. I remember when Onx became a thing a decade ago and I had a run in with a guide/ranch hand that accused me of trespassing with nothing to back it up and came driving across BLM to us mid stalk. In reality we had stayed on public through a narrow section that would have previously been nearly impossible to navigate without technology. I had the map and our track saved, the game warden’s number on speed dial and diffused the situation politely but it soured the overall experience a bit.

In my mind you are likely risking wasted time and headache more than anything. It wouldn’t be unreasonable for it to take 2-3 hours to get law enforcement out to a disputed situation in rural Wyoming. If something goes to court it will be wasted days instead of hours plus the legal cost.

I’ve had overwhelmingly positive human interactions in Wyoming and have had overwhelmingly positive interactions with Wyoming game wardens but outsiders and property rights are one of the few things to quickly provoke the rural Wyoming residents.

I’m glad these issues are being pushed but I will choose peace over justice on my personal hunting trips.

BowBaboon

FNG
I have to agree with you. I’d rather not deal with game wardens or sheriffs when I’m trying to recreate.

BowBaboon

FNG
Gotcha.
I don’t currently hunt in areas where corner crossing would be necessary, but if I ever draw one of those goat tags in the checkerboard…

If I draw a tag this year and the situation arises where I need to corner hop I will and not think anything of it. Use your tracker on your GPS. Do everything you can just to step over at the corner and go for it.
It seems like a such a ridiculous thing to get into a confrontation with armed person over.

Mike7

WKR
I am very pro property rights...but both for private and public property.

If I am ever on a jury in a corner crossing case, I will always find for the corner crosser if they cross without damaging property, and will find against any landowner, whether private or federal, who tries to intimidate and threaten the corner crossing public land owner.

I will also not vote for any sheriff who arrests an otherwise law abiding corner crosser.

If every hunter/hiker/potential jury member made this comittment, then hopefully this ridiculous issue would go away.

Rich M

WKR
I'd ask the Local GW/LEO and see what they both say.

I was told no corner crossing by a GW when I called about hunting the unit. He flat out told me - don't do it. Pretty easy to understand that way. Of course a lot of guys told me I was full of it and I'm sure they CC all day long.

Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime. Thank god we’re a nation of laws And we pay their salaries.

manitou1

WKR
If I draw a tag this year and the situation arises where I need to corner hop I will and not think anything of it. Use your tracker on your GPS. Do everything you can just to step over at the corner and go for it.
It seems like a such a ridiculous thing to get into a confrontation with armed person over.
Just have six figures of $ set aside for your defense.

Just have six figures of $ set aside for your defense.
Thanks for the advice. I don’t think it’s needed though. I just can’t imagine any county attorneys are going to be in a big rush to get their ass handed to them in a courtroom after witnessing the proceedings so far.
Anyway please see what Cnelk posted above seems clear enough.

I'd ask the Local GW/LEO and see what they both say.

I was told no corner crossing by a GW when I called about hunting the unit. He flat out told me - don't do it. Pretty easy to understand that way. Of course a lot of guys told me I was full of it and I'm sure they CC all day long.
I had a Texas state game warden encounter that lasted 2 hours. He was telling me I couldn't park where the Federal game wardens told me to park and dropped a pin. Long story short, he didn't want me to park there because the animals used that exact spot to cross the road and the landowner across the road had a blind setup 100 yards away in an open field that he put paid day hunters in, and he knew the landowner. That dude ended up calling me that evening profusely apologizing and asking me not to file a complaint. Long story short, GW's don't always have the law at front and center of their concerns.

manitou1

WKR
Thanks for the advice. I don’t think it’s needed though. I just can’t imagine any county attorneys are going to be in a big rush to get their ass handed to them in a courtroom after witnessing the proceedings so far.
Anyway please see what Cnelk posted above seems clear enough.
I do not believe it is a choice if the rancher decides to press charges... and believe me, there are many here in WY that would... especillay since there is big money backing for them. They do not want to lose this battle, and their precious monopoly on public kands.

I get what you’re saying, we will have to see if this is upheld on May 14.
“Wyoming’s chief U.S. District Judge Scott Skavdahl ruled that corner crossing is legal in the checkerboard area of Wyoming when a person does not set foot on private land and causes no damage.”

I do not believe it is a choice if the rancher decides to press charges... and believe me, there are many here in WY that would... especillay since there is big money backing for them. They do not want to lose this battle, and their precious monopoly on public kands.

ThunderJack49

Lil-Rokslider
It should also be said, if a sherif deputy is standing right next to you, it doesn’t prevent a landowner from coming out with a gun to confront you - or his son with PTSD, a healthy addiction to pain meds and half a bottle of vodka in his gut. There are plenty of crazies with nothing to lose and looking for a fight.
I have zero interest in getting in a gun fight over corner hopping but if I had to cherry pick my opponent, this might be the guy.

Rich M

WKR
I had a Texas state game warden encounter that lasted 2 hours. He was telling me I couldn't park where the Federal game wardens told me to park and dropped a pin. Long story short, he didn't want me to park there because the animals used that exact spot to cross the road and the landowner across the road had a blind setup 100 yards away in an open field that he put paid day hunters in, and he knew the landowner. That dude ended up calling me that evening profusely apologizing and asking me not to file a complaint. Long story short, GW's don't always have the law at front and center of their concerns.

You prove my point about the know-it-alls on here. Hope you filed the complaint. I don't go for corrupt LEOs. Or you coulda asked him to show you a better place to hunt. Use it to your advantage.

For the innocents reading this - corner crossing isn't the smartest thing to do until they work thru the BS associated with it. If you want to be the guy in court fighting it, have at it. And usually you can trust the local GW when he tells you he will ticket you for something, he probably will.