Wyoming general tag or specific unit?

Our party will be going into the Wyoming draw with 2.66 points this year and I'm wondering if i should just put us in for the general tag or apply for a specific unit. I have gohunt insider but dont see a way to determine what units fall under the general tag. Also, when i put my points in for draw odds under all season it only gives me 3 units with 100% odds. 56,59 and 60

sasquatch

WKR
Those odds are for last years hunt. Yours will most prob be lower next year.

Also, the state website has everything you looking for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a 2.66 point average I’d put into the Regular drawing for a General license. It’s good in over 50 units and I guarantee you can find good elk hunting in lots of them.

56, 59, and 60 are mostly wilderness so you can’t hunt that without an outfitter AND that is all serious grizzly country.

Last edited:
OP
Mooseknuckle22
Thanks guys. I found some good info on the state website. Are the Wyoming elk units different than the deer units? I cant cross reference them from the state website to onx maps because they appear to be different

cnelk

WKR
Note: Wyoming has 'Areas' not Units. :)

And yes, Elk / Deer / Pronghorn all have different 'area' numbers

Thanks guys. I found some good info on the state website. Are the Wyoming elk units different than the deer units? I cant cross reference them from the state website to onx maps because they appear to be different

Play around with your OnX layers. You can get it all to match. GoHunt will show you general vs. limited entry also.

ndbuck09

WKR
in my opinion, gohunt only gives you a part of the data behind tags in wyoming. You would really do well going to the actual wyoming website and pulling up the pdf document of the nonres area draw stats, both regular and special. This shows the itemized breakdown of how many people at each point level applied and how many tags were available at each. Sure last year with 2.66 points some area might show "100%" but the real story is that there were 2 applications with 2 points and there were 2 tags left last year. There could have been 8 people who applied to that area with 1 point. It's easy to understand that next year 3 or mor people who had 1 point last year will mean that those stats drop to at best 66%. So 100% isn't a slam dunk. This is hypothetical but the story is true for whatever point total you have/are looking at and gohunt doesn't tell you how many people applied at the various point levels.

wytx

WKR
When you go to the Hunt Planner elk map click on the layers tab at top of the map and add the deer areas. It will show you both on the map, in different colors.
Lots of options on the map for viewing hunt areas.

Lefty26

FNG
Less than 3 pts was 100% for a reg general tag last year, but 2pts was only 27%, point creep may put you at less than 100% in 2020. You should be 100% with 2.66 for a general in the special draw though.

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
Gotta keep buying those points. I hope point creep doesn’t get too bad for a general tag.

OP
Mooseknuckle22
Sounds like I'll want to put in for the general tag but i'm not going to pay an extra $600 for the special draw. I've got a couple points in Colorado as a backup in case the point creep gets me in Wyoming

Jd259

WKR
Sounds like I'll want to put in for the general tag but i'm not going to pay an extra $600 for the special draw. I've got a couple points in Colorado as a backup in case the point creep gets me in Wyoming
Except you won’t know if you’ve drawn wyoming by the deadline for Colorado if I recall correctly Wyoming results don’t come out until mid May next year...

OP
Mooseknuckle22
Except you won’t know if you’ve drawn wyoming by the deadline for Colorado if I recall correctly Wyoming results don’t come out until mid May next year...
The plan is to apply for both and then withdraw from Colorado if we draw in Wyoming.