Wyoming Options

HGrodner

FNG
Don’t know if this is the right place for this question, but maybe y’all can help? I am planning my first out of state trip this year. If things go according to plan, I should be hunting antelope in Wyoming in October in zone 16 with a few buddies. Can anyone tell me if there’s anything else we could/should hunt or fish for while we’re up there that would require minimal extra gear? We’re tackling this as a camping trip that will hopefully have the added bonus of some antelope meat when it’s all said and done. But if there was something else that was worthwhile to hunt small game wise while we were there that would just be an added bonus. Thanks!

Rich M

WKR
Might not be a popular response - just plan on the antelope hunt. If you never been, there is a learning curve and 16 can get crowded. There are a lot of prairie dogs around if you want to whack a mole with them.

Not 100% sure but believe you could pick up some whitetail doe tags in that general area?? Check the Wyoming Fish and Game website - there are some ranchers/landowners around the area that do allow doe only hunting during certain times.

Good luck - should be a good time!!

wytx

WKR
Fishing is always an option, maybe not right in your area but close by.

OP
HGrodner

HGrodner

FNG
Might not be a popular response - just plan on the antelope hunt. If you never been, there is a learning curve and 16 can get crowded. There are a lot of prairie dogs around if you want to whack a mole with them.

I understand that comment completely. We’ll see how things pan out. We’re going a week or two after season has been open to try to avoid some of the crowds. I was thinking we may need something else to chase to help our morale if we can’t find any antelope! Well probably bring a little fishing gear and hope for the best. Thanks!

Not 100% sure but believe you could pick up some whitetail doe tags in that general area?? Check the Wyoming Fish and Game website - there are some ranchers/landowners around the area that do allow doe only hunting during certain times.

Good luck - should be a good time!!

Private land white-tailed doe hunting may be allowed later in the season after the "paying hunters" are done hunting.

ClearCreek

Rich M

WKR
I understand that comment completely. We’ll see how things pan out. We’re going a week or two after season has been open to try to avoid some of the crowds. I was thinking we may need something else to chase to help our morale if we can’t find any antelope! Well probably bring a little fishing gear and hope for the best. Thanks!

I suggest doing searches for WY Unit 16 everywhere you can and seeing what folks say. Just for knowledge - lotsa guys take antelope out of that unit and I KNOW that there is a lot of older information online at least on some forums. I remember a bunch of folks who would tell everyone that asked to go to Unit 16 and it became a running dialogue.

Midweek will definitely have less hunters and if you are say 2 weeks after opener, might be a ghost town. Solid plan.

There is a lot of warm water fishing in WY and if you are looking for trout, do your research before hand - I thought every stream was gonna be a trout stream but it isn't so.

Good luck!

wytx

WKR
You will be driving through a big part of the state coming from Georgia. You might find fishing or some bird hunting away from your hunting area but on your travel route. Trout are not in evry stream like Rich stated but lots of other fish to catch also, walleye for one, the small lakes can be bank fished pretty well.
Lots of good fishing on your travel route through our part of the state.

OP
HGrodner

HGrodner

FNG
thanks for all the help guys! We’ll bring a couple fishing poles for sure. I’ve never caught a walleye as we don’t have them here (at least not in my portion of the state). So would be more than happy to catch one of those. I really appreciate it!

wapitibob

WKR
I suggest doing searches for WY Unit 16 everywhere you can and seeing what folks say. Just for knowledge - lotsa guys take antelope out of that unit and I KNOW that there is a lot of older information online at least on some forums. I remember a bunch of folks who would tell everyone that asked to go to Unit 16 and it became a running dialogue.

Good luck!

I'd go back and read them a 2nd time. Gonna be busy at every well head and might be a pissy hunter or 3 thinking you're in their spot even though access is severely limited.

Rich M

WKR
Welcome to public land hunting!

Bob - he says he's going later in the season. 2 weeks removes a lot of antelope hunters.

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
You will be fine going a week or two after the opener. The crowds will have thinned out quite well. I have hunted up around there for the last 3 years and never had a problem. Yes access is limited, but it is what also makes for a good hunt if you walk a few miles. You can apply for a mule deer tag, but the odds are low. We did draw mule deer tags last year though and killed a 165 and 170 inch with in 20 minutes of each other. All public land too. One tip is to cut some firewood on the way out to where you are camping as it can get sparse depending on where you camp. It's a lot of fun and you will definitely see some animals!
cca7eeca8e0cb41d60757cc800faafc3.jpg
IMG_20191011_172813536.jpgIMG_20191008_171822316.jpgIMG_20191011_141534343.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
The OP stated an interest in small game, as sideline entertainment. There are pockets of cottontail rabbits in that unit, on public land, that are incredible. I’ve never seen higher densities of rabbits anywhere. I’m no Johnny Cash, but I’ve covered quite a bit of ground...

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
Loebs had a good post and some great field photos (classic cold, sunny and windy). However, don’t take his advice on one point- DON’T MOVE FIREWOOD!

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, Dead Eye brought up a great point. I should have said the area you are camping in. There is the possibility of bringing in pine Beatles to an area that doesn't have any.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
Loebs had a good post and some great field photos (classic cold, sunny and windy). However, don’t take his advice on one point- DON’T MOVE FIREWOOD!
Wyoming does not have a law against moving firewood, just, contact the state forestry folks and they will tell you, I have done that. Firewood from your huntig area is fine to take down from the forest to your camp. They reccomend not moving wood but it is not a law just a reccomendation to help with the spread of beetles.