Wyoming Preference Points

I'm going to be purchasing my first preference point for Wyoming next year. I have researched the dates but at this point, I only want to purchase a point and not actually draw a tag so I can build some up before actually applying where I want to go in a few years. I saw that there is a Preference Point Only drawing after the regular draw. Do I have to apply for anything during the regular draw to be eligible for the preference point only drawing or can I simply apply for the point only draw for next year? I just want to make sure before I wait for the point only draw since it is after the regular draw and then find out I can't buy anything for another year. Any info is appreciated, first timer here!

zacattack

WKR
The time frame to buy preference points is usually like July through October or something like that. All you do is just login to your account and buy the point for the species you’d like. It’s pretty easy.

SageFlat

FNG
No need to apply, you can simply purchase a point from the first of July through the end of October. Don't wait until the end, easy to miss a deadline that time of year.

OP
P
No need to apply, you can simply purchase a point from the first of July through the end of October. Don't wait until the end, easy to miss a deadline that time of year.
Awesome, thank you! I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to make myself "eligible" for the point purchase with the regular draw and then realize it was too late. Appreciate it!

FWIW, I drew a General Elk tag this year with only two points, since part of the regular draw is random. My opinion is that if you're coming from the east (I'm in VA), it's worth it to draw General any chance you can get, since there's a learning curve if you're not used to hunting out west. So, I'd plan to enter the draw by Jan 31, and also plan on buying a point in the July-Oct window. I didn't get an Elk this year, but I found several, plus found some good Mule Deer and Pronghorn spots. I'd assume you need at least one year of boots on the ground in addition to e-scouting to have a reasonable shot.

tdhanses

WKR
Best bet if you don’t want to hunt is to go spend a week in WY each year scouting during season (during the season so you have an idea where elk are vs summer where they have been) getting to know an area, then by the time you draw you’ll have a decent idea of where you want to hunt. While there is a random draw, plan on it taking 5-8 years to draw in the future, you could get lucky with the random but don’t plan on it.