You guys convinced another one. Did I make the right call?

leachguy

FNG
I bought another gun today. Ordered my first Tikka. I keep telling myself it's for my kids but let's get real, I'll probably break this one in pretty hard before they use it.
I was trying to decide between a 223 or 243 for my boys, weighing the pros and cons of bullets, recoil, bolt face for a rebarrel later on. I had written off the 22-250 assuming they were all 1:12 twist or so. Then this morning I stumbled upon the 1:8 22-250. The plain old blued T3X lite was in stock with my local dealer's supplier! Ordered it immediately.
Then I went further down the rabbit hole and bought 1000 77gr TMK's. Was interested in a 80 or 88gr bullet, but figured the 77 is close enough.
All this when I just bought my dream gun a few months back. A Model 70 300WSM. I'd wanted one since they came out when I was 10. Hoping I don't get bit too bad and want to sell it as soon as I shoot this 22-250 at animals next season!

Jimbee

WKR
I'm glad you bought my 300wsm stuff first....congrats. Now you just need a SWFA 6X

OP
leachguy

leachguy

FNG
I'm glad you bought my 300wsm stuff first....congrats. Now you just need a SWFA 6X
Honestly I am too. I'm sure I'll love the 300wsm when it's all set up. Shooting this new one sure will be fun though!
I've got a few Trijicon Credo scopes and am leaning towards another, but I'm really considering a SWFA for it too. Just going to keep looking out for a deal and see what pops up.

Pwb199

Lil-Rokslider
You won’t be disappointed!

32 grains of varget And 34 grains of h4350 both produced 1” groups at 300 yards with my 22-250 and 77TMKs

OP
leachguy

leachguy

FNG
What made you decide not to go wtih .223?
Biggest factor was bolt face. Didn't want the added expense of opening up the bolt face later on if we decide to rebarrel to a different cartridge.
I'm still new to this small of a bullet on big game so I'm sure a little of it was fear driving me towards more velocity for confidence.

OP
leachguy

leachguy

FNG
More powaaaahhhhhhh lol

That’s a great snag OP. If I woulda found an 8tw 22-250 I probably would bought that over the 243 I have now.
You're not wrong! Haha.
I was leaning towards the 243 but only if I could find the 1:8. Didn't look like they were going to be in stock with my guy while the rebate is going on so I started looking for other options. Really excited by this one. Now I need to decide if I hunt with it next year to test it out, or if I use my 6.5x55 I had built years ago and still haven't hunted with.

TaperPin

WKR
Nice! I noticed a few weeks ago the 22-50 Tikka at Scheels had a 1:8 twist and thought that was really smart of them.