Your Best Book Pick

One of things I like to do when I go out West hunting (traveling from Michigan) is reading or listening to a book along the way that either has to do maybe with hunting, or some type of outdoor theme to it. Like, "Into Thin Air." or "Undaunted Courage" ... on Lewis and Clark, or "The Long Walk", you get the picture....what are your recommendations?

Hardstalk

WKR
I am more so a hunting book reader. Favorite to date would be meat eater. Steve rinella is a very entertaining writer/story teller.

unm1136

WKR
Anything by McManus. Started reading him about 30 years ago, and love the clean humor, outdoors topics, and the series of short stories make picking the book up and putting it down aagain easy. I have been able to find them as books on tape before, and I should see if I can get them on CD via interlibrary loan and rip them to my MP3 player. I think my two favorites are the one about his first deer, and "How to Go Splat".

pat

Neitz

FNG
The Big Burn.

It's a good one about Teddy Roosevelt's establishment of the USFS, Gifford Pinchot and the fires that burned the Northwest in 1910.
Be warned, the author appears to come from the left.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Undaunted Courage is a good one. One of my favorites is The River Why (fly fishing themed).

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Wife and I saw this. Awesome!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375218292779.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375218292779.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 87

OR Archer

WKR
The Old Bowhunter By Chester Stevenson

This is a collection of hunting stories from the early 1900s featuring Chester Stevenson. Great book!!

KMT

WKR
Second unm1136 and vote for anything written by Patrick McManus. Good clean fun. His audio books aren't as good as just reading them yourself. Same content, different delivery.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lone survivor by Marcus Luttrell. Has hunting, albeit not animals, huge mountains, and a crazy survival story.

Wow, I was going to post this myself, and figured most would have no clue what it was. Best book I have ever read. Going to see the Patriotic Tour with Marcus and Taya in Minneapolis. Highly recommend the read.